Tamiya Panther Ausf. A

Hi and welcome to BM.

Having gone to all the trouble of clicking on your link and then waiting for the page to load up, I'm pleased to say it was worth waiting the 15 seconds or so that it took. I am a lazy so-and-so when it comes to computery stuff. I much prefer to have the poster do all the work for me - actually posting the image here on BM.

You've done a good job on the panther. Well tidy.

Just one tip - photograph your models on a clear table, preferably against a light coloured wall/backdrop etc. Too much clutter and the model gets 'lost'.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I would like to write some constructive criticism if you don't mind :) all the more I have finished exactly this model last month. If you interested see it in my topic.

Disadvantages first:

- joining of armored plates in the front of the hull should be well-fitted, visible slit is unwelcome

- it better to make a holes in places where they should be (talking about front of turret)

I know that the manufacturer didn't care of the above but you are the modeler and you should care of this 😜

- the figure clothes cannot be glossy, just only mat

- weathering must be consequent I mean if it has dirty wheels it should has also the same body in bottom and wheel on both sides (little dust pigment on wheels are welcome if it present on tracks and suggest to use also rust pigment in some areas)

- the muzzle brake and exhausts should have a soot

- tracks, guns and tools might have metallic polishing effect

And then advantages:

- very good assembled

- remembered about holes in the exhausts (cause manufacturer didn't)

- added an antenna (it might be painted by metalcote  btw :) )

- perfect application of the decals (there are no visible borders of them)

- very nice camo and painting at all

- good track weathering

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, witjas4 said:

- it better to make a holes in places where they should be (talking about front of turret)

- the muzzle brake and exhausts should have a soot

- tracks, guns and tools might have metallic polishing effect

Thanks for the feedback! 

I was wondering what you use to get that metallic polishing effect and what I should use to make soot. 

Also when you mean making holes, do you mean the two holes? (Gunner sight and machine gun port)

Just a few options, to your nonetheless great kit. Soot on the muzzle break and its amount is up to a lot of debate. Glossiness of the clothing depends on the type, if this guy wears a almost new leather jacket, some gloss might still happen. But of course, it would be limited.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

Thanks for the feedback! 

I was wondering what you use to get that metallic polishing effect and what I should use to make soot. 

Also when you mean making holes, do you mean the two holes? (Gunner sight and machine gun port)

Because you have metal track it is very easy to make a polishing effect - you just use fine sandpaper use it on track borders and that's it :) If you have  model with a plastic track then use metalcote paint, I use Humbrol 27002 for the tracks and Humbrol 27003 for the tools, especially 27003 (steel) should be polished after drying for the best effect (15-30 min after painting it can be already polished),

I use matt black paint applied by airbrush to make soot. For the very strong effect (for example on some grill) you can use black pigment.

Exactly those holes I was talking about :)

• Thanks 1

Have only really built Tamiya kits so far and was pretty disappointed with my Panther build, the fit of parts was not to the usual standard and it certainly feels like an old kit. I preferred Panzer 4 Ausf D which for £16 in Hobbycraft seems a bargain. 

Great to see a recent Panther build on here as mine is still WIP and i really like the camo paint job. I’m fighting with the rubber band tracks on mine to get them to look as good as yours. I also had trouble getting the rear turret panel to fit properly. 

Have to to agree on the plain background to photos. A really good build looking forward to seeing some more of your work 🙂

• Thanks 1