Donbassaero A320 in 1/144 - a colourful Ukrainian

Donbassaero was a Ukrainian airline which operated between 2003 and 2013.  According to Wikipedia the only remarkable event in its decade of existence happened in March 2010 when a flight from Simferopol to Kiev had to be cancelled because the entire crew was drunk. One of the affected passengers was the Ukrainian deputy Attorney General so we can probably assume that the incident didn’t end well for those involved.  Anyhow, Donbassaero’s spectacular black and orange livery certainly caught my eye when I spotted of one of their A320s operating for AeroSvit at Berlin Tegel in the summer of 2012.  When I later discovered that decals were available from BS Modelle a model became inevitable, if only to show the ill-informed that not all airliners are white.

I refurbished an old Revell A320 which was previously in the marginally less flamboyant livery of Dutch Bird. I changed the engines from CFMs to V2500s, replaced the winglets and added a few small fairings otherwise the refurbishment was a straightforward strip down and repaint. Damage during dismantling meant that the main undercarriage legs had to be replaced with metal items from Scale Aircraft Conversions, a bit over-priced but indispensable in this situation.

Paint is Hycote Ford Carnival Red, Halfords Gloss Black and Holts Grey HL01. I was reminded the hard way that gloss black is almost as unforgiving as natural metal when it comes to dodgy seams!

As I mentioned the main decals are by BS Modelle.  It was the first time I’d used their products. The larger decals are OK although they have a slightly “home made” feel and printing white decals on white backing paper isn’t entirely helpful. Door outlines and detail decals are useless and need to be replaced. It’s also worth mentioning that BS Modelle have been accused of trying to rip off other manufacturers notably Nazca although I’m as satisfied as I can be that the Donbassaero decals are an original product. The windows are by Authentic Airliners, coroguard is by Liveries Unlimited and stencils and additional markings came from the spares box. I don’t claim total accuracy for the stencils but they make the model look reasonably “busy”.

Thanks for looking and as always constructive criticism is welcome.

Dave G

45065299002_7cd856148d_b.jpg

45065319162_ecbec8d2b4_b.jpg

31240664338_a2458173f7_b.jpg

31240656948_56b4a6dd38_b.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Very nice Dave.

As you mention it's nice to have a non-white airliner in the collection. I like the story of their incident - what a time to get drunk (not that there is a correct time for an air crew to get drunk..). I remember seeing an A330 in their design but with garish green and orange colours (can't recall the operator), departing Muscat a few years ago. It certainly stood out among the usual bland white traffic.

I'm still trying to decipher their tail design. Is it a star? or some "amorphous organic" shape?

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Welcome back Dave, it's been so long I thought you'd gone over to the dark side!

Beautiful finish and such an eye catching livery. It'll definitely stand out at the next show!

Interestingly, this same livery but with different colours is also used by Windrose Airlines.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windrose+airlines&safe=strict&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_27OoiPDdAhVKWywKHejqC94Q_AUIESgB I knew I'd seen that livery elsewhere!

Talking of colourful liveries I'm still waiting for your Park Inn A320!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2018 at 1:35 PM, pinky coffeeboat said:

Very nice Dave.

As you mention it's nice to have a non-white airliner in the collection. I like the story of their incident - what a time to get drunk (not that there is a correct time for an air crew to get drunk..). I remember seeing an A330 in their design but with garish green and orange colours (can't recall the operator), departing Muscat a few years ago. It certainly stood out among the usual bland white traffic.

I'm still trying to decipher their tail design. Is it a star? or some "amorphous organic" shape?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.  The green and orange A330 would have belonged to Windrose which is/was part of the same ownership group.  Their livery is identical except the light blue/green in place of the black.  Even the tail logo is the same although I have no idea what it represents. Probably the most attractive variant of the livery was the blue/yellow version carried by some AeroSvit aircraft.  If you haven't already done so check out the photos which Ian has linked.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:44 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Wow, Impressive job and scheme Dave. You must have had fun masking that fuselage up for the black and orange.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Ray. The masking wasn't as difficult as it looks because the Revell kit is well provided with panel lines which I used as reference points.  It was also made much easier because the black ends round the front and rear of the wing/body fairing which meant I didn't have to mask round the wing roots.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:47 PM, Turbofan said:

Welcome back Dave, it's been so long I thought you'd gone over to the dark side!

No danger of that!  I've been busy with other non-modelling stuff recently.  I hope to have a couple more in RFI over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Great job Dave.

Funny how the eye only seems to register the orange colour and it takes a few seconds to take in the black. (Well it does with me)

Really unusual scheme and lovely finish to boot.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

Nearly missed this one Dave! It is certainly a striking scheme, and makes a change from the usual white topped variants.

Those AA windows win again!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

I think the paint finish and indeed the overall look is excellent. the gloss finish is very convincing when you look closely at the reflection. Very well done.

• Thanks 1