1/76 Airfix Sherman Command Tank

Howdy Sherman fans - WARNING...

....this post contains a very small and very basic kit from around 1961...

I've been building this in the Vintage Airfix GB - but wanted to share it here too - where I might get some more comments from the 'proper' AFV 'experts'...

MK1115.jpg

MK1116.jpg

MK1114.jpg

MK1117.jpg

MK1118.jpg

It started out as a Sherman Crab - with a flail attachment - but I'm going to use that on something else.  It was a very naïve kit with a few challenges that I as a newbie hadn't tackled before - like rubber tracks.  I messed about with it a lot, adding clean air filters at the back / reversing the hatch covers / adding gun cleaning rods / replacing lifting hooks / adding track armour and side armour plates / creating a radio back box with jerry can and finally a load of aerials - as befits a command tank - oh and not forgetting a tank commander himself.

The WIP thread is here - if you want to take a look...

I hope you like it - Steve

• Like 21

Nice, but I have two points to mention. 

1. The "bar" above the crowbar on the side of the hull is the pike's handle and it should be wooden. 

2. Main gun barrel - you should drill it out. 

All the rest looks good to me. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do like it Steve - it looks excellent, especially in 1/72! I agree with comments above about drilling out the barrel. It would improve the appearance even further.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Steve hasn't drilled out the gun barrel on my advice.

The sherman command tank photo he's based the build on had the main gun removed to make extra room in the turret and a false wooden barrel fitted to disguise it as a standard tank.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, badger said:

The sherman command tank photo he's based the build on had the main gun removed to make extra room in the turret and a false wooden barrel fitted to disguise it as a standard tank.

All the best

Ben

Good call then! Well done.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 20:31, Kris B said:

Nice, but I have two points to mention. 

1. The "bar" above the crowbar on the side of the hull is the pike's handle and it should be wooden. 

2. Main gun barrel - you should drill it out. 

All the rest looks good to me. 

13 hours ago, PlaStix said:

I do like it Steve - it looks excellent, especially in 1/72! I agree with comments above about drilling out the barrel. It would improve the appearance even further.

Kind regards,

Stix

12 hours ago, badger said:

All the best

Ben

Hi Guys - thanks for the input and the explanation from Ben.  I did 'initially' try to drill out the end of the barrel - but it had the consistency of 'chalk' and kept going to powder - even with a 0.3mm bit.  It could still be improved though with maybe a drop of black paint to 'hint' at a proper barrel end or maybe I could make one of those canvas bag thingies you see over the end of muzzles.  I will get round to it at some point - but the build was 'marred' by problems at work - which kind of took my mind off things.

Your support and advice is most appreciated - Steve :D

• Like 2

• BIG X changed the title to 1/76 Airfix Sherman Command Tank