Savoia Marchetti SM79

TonyW

I may well fall flat on my face with this one, but having found out today that there's another week before close of play, I thought I would live dangerously.

I started the kit a week or so ago, never for a moment thinking I could make a 7th October finish date. Things have changed a bit, so here's how things have progressed so far...

The kit is a 1991 boxing of the sixties classic. 

IMG_4626.jpg

Basic construction got underway without problem. A bit of flash here and there, but nothing to write home about. 

IMG_5626.jpg

The 1991 boxtop somehow took on a brown camouflage scheme, I'll be following the sixties man...

IMG_5628.jpg

More later.

Tony.

• Like 10

... later comes around early in these parts....

Best I bring things right up to date on this one, here's progress so far...

Construction was very smooth. For an old kit, it went together well.The fuselage was cut down once dry for the fitting of a more accurate humpback and much clearer canopy. I had a Falcon Italian set waiting for just this opportunity!

IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5647.jpg

The fit and finish of the Falcon parts was a revelation. Yet another first for me, thanks to this GB.

A bit of filling was needed for a few sink marks and wing misalignment. Easily sorted.

IMG_5799.jpg

Paintwork started with a bit of Gloy Authentic Aircraft Sandgelb which looked about right to me. The canopy and hump area got a hit, just to see what would be visible through the crystal clear windows. The answer was not a lot, so I left things pretty basic in there.

IMG_5800.jpg

A rather out of focus picture brings things right up to date, with the hump fitted and filled, the basic colour now on, the cowls started and everything now to play for. Sorry about the picture, the autofocus on my camera has packed up. 

IMG_6120.jpg

Things start getting interesting at this point.

When we moved from Farnborough four years ago, I bought a mates wifes Airbrush and Compressor. She tried her hand at fingernail spraying as a job and didn't like it. I ended up with her equipment. It's not been used since! The camouflage on this one may well be my first attempt with an airbrush. Oh dear...

IMG_6128.jpg

That brings things right up to date with this particular build. If I manage to finish the thing by the end of the GB I will be more than happy!

Tony.

• Like 11

Wow, hope there isn’t any purple glitter hanging around in the pipes! Thank you for doing the right/crazy thing with four days to go, and also for finally showing what the “correct” hump should look like on “il gobbo”. I’ve read repeatedly the the Airfix hump isn’t right but I’ve never understood what exactly is wrong with it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow, hope there isn’t any purple glitter hanging around in the pipes! Thank you for doing the right/crazy thing with four days to go, and also for finally showing what the “correct” hump should look like on “il gobbo”. I’ve read repeatedly the the Airfix hump isn’t right but I’ve never understood what exactly is wrong with it.

Regards,

Adrian

The Falcon piece has much more of a hump when compared to the Airfix take on the subject. The canopy also hits the solid part with a bit of an angle rather than a smooth transition. I'm very impressed with the Falcon part, the fit was spot on. I had to add a tiny bit of filler here and there, but that was entirely down to my wonky cutting of the Airfix part. The fuselage joining area matched the Airfix parts perfectly, everything lined up flush.

IMG_6129.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Luckily it is nine days.

Paul thanks for pointing that out! I thought it was extended to 7th Oct - that means I can rush a bit less with my Marauder...

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

more of a hump

Thanks for the great picture and explanation. The fit does look impeccable. Filed away for when I do the one in my stash...

BTW it only normally carried one torpedo apparently, although you may well have come across this nugget independently.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Wow! Flashback time! I remember building a MPC copy of this kit, way back in the early 70's. I also remember my Mum sitting at the kitchen table, watching me paint green spots on the brown base.  Good times.

Chris

• Like 9

I've had a go with my long ignored airbrush. Two things immediately became apparent. One, old Humbrol paints won't spray very well. Thinning them down enough to get them through the airbrush nozzle meant they lost all covering power and started separating into grainy residue. Not good. Secondly, my skills with a double action brush are a bit laughable at the moment. I get the distinct impression I'll be safer brush paining this one. A look at the seventh issue Airfix catalogue tells me that airbrushing wasn't exactly current at the time of the kits release. The picture looks a bit grainy, but I think that's brushwork there.

IMG_6175.jpg

... this might be just the excuse for me to use for a brush finish! Any port in a storm and all that. 

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 8

Brush painting started today with a bit of free form camouflage green getting applied. The splotches will need a bit of touch up here and there, but so far I'm reasonably satisfied with progress.

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

A bit of masking got the white fuselage band undercoated and work on the engine cowls is going well. The front cowl ring and the back half of the spinners has been done with a Molotow pen. The effect is a bit bright, I'll dull it down a bit if necessary later. I couldn't resist trying out a few of the kit decals, they went on faultlessly. The wing roundels are in fact handed! I would have missed that completely if it hadn't been pointed out above, thanks for that. 

IMG_6179.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 15

15 hours ago, TonyW said:

Brush painting started today with a bit of free form camouflage green getting applied. The splotches will need a bit of touch up here and there, but so far I'm reasonably satisfied with progress.

A bit of masking got the white fuselage band undercoated and work on the engine cowls is going well. The front cowl ring and the back half of the spinners has been done with a Molotow pen. The effect is a bit bright, I'll dull it down a bit if necessary later. I couldn't resist trying out a few of the kit decals, they went on faultlessly. The wing roundels are in fact handed! I would have missed that completely if it hadn't been pointed out above, thanks for that. 

That camouflage looks excellent, Tony, you must have an Italian painter somewhere in your family's history. Those pens look very useful so I'll be getting some for all those details that are difficult to mask. You've got to hand it to the Regia Aeronautica - beautiful lines on their aircraft and dressed up to shame Milan! Take your time, 6 1/2 days left to finish this masterpiece (and the Fergie!). All the best. Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonights progress so far...

IMG_6200.jpg

I've tightened up the cammo pattern a bit, it seemed a bit loose to me. Engines painted and fitted and the fuselage codes applied. The underneath has had a primer coat of grey to be getting on with and the Torpedoes have had a lick of paint and three red bands added with decal strip. The red and white looks a bit wrong to me, now I've painted the things, but I used this picture from an early profile as a guide. Pre war test torpedoes, so I figured the markings on the nose were probably for photo or film recording and needed to stand out. I could well be completely wrong here and stand to be corrected.

IMG_6202.jpg

It's odd that Airfix included two torpedoes, it seems they were a bit of a load for the engine power available and one was the normal load, offset to one side. I'll be fitting the pair, whatever colour they end up, it is a Classic build after all and they appear on the Roy Cross painting. Nuff said.. 😁

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 9

Brilliant job Tony

I have a few of these in the stash, but I seem to remember it has loads of part so thought it would take ages to build.....

Well you sure dispelled that myth !

Wonderful, congratulations  :partytime:

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a nice kit to build Pat. Everything seems to click together without any drama. Even adding the Falcon canopy was fuss free. It's possible an earlier boxing might not have the sink marks that I had to fill, making one of those even easier.

The number of colour schemes the plane wore is astonishing! I can see me adding one or two at some point. 

• Like 4

WOW!! This Italian classic has come up wonderfully well and unsurprisingly very quickly. The camo application has been expertly executed and really makes this kit a true stand out. So glad you dug this one out so late in the piece.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last update for tonight, undercarriage now on after a bit of repair to one of the legs. The point where the U/C leg meets the wheel hub is very thin, right where a bit of strength would come in handy. The inevitable happened and it broke while fitting the wheel. A bit of superglue rescued the assembly and the plane now sits on its base.

IMG_6206.jpg

There's a fair bit of touch up needed plus a few smaller parts to add. The canopy needs framing and there will be a bit of weathering here and there. I might even rig the tail!

I know it seems like this one is coming together at Mach 4, but it's been a slow,steady plod with the thing. It got hardly any attention over the weekend and only an hour or two this evening. Sometimes things just go smoothly for no apparent reason. This build has been like that so far. After the full contact build of my DH88 earlier in the GB I'm due an easy ride!

• Like 7

I'm liking the look of this, the colour scheme reminds me of the one I did about 50 years ago, like yours copied from the box art but in my case, green splotches with light brown painted around them, I was notoriously economical with my paint back then, :D  all hand mixed from a set of gloss primary colours. I still have it but also have another that I'd love to try & do like yours.

Steve.

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement.

The paintjob looks better in real life somehow. The photo's seem to show all kinds of flaws. Every time I post a picture I see more work needed! I guess that's a good thing. The main culprit seems to be too thin paint. The camera flash burns right through to the base colour. The thinness isn't so apparent in daylight.

The base was built for a 1.48 scale Monogram Hurricane over in the Hawker Group Build. It comes in handy for anything needing a desert to sit on. It's the usual charity shop picture frame with the backing board glued on top. The board was covered with spray adhesive then sprinkled with building sand before attaching it.The bushes are tiny bits of lichen, fixed with a dab of PVA.

I should be able to get an hour or so on the model this evening, I'll add progress pictures after.

Tony.

• Like 2

There's not much left to do on this one now. The canopy has been framed, I quite like the way it's almost disappeared into the camouflage. As expected, pretty much nothing shows inside the canopy, even with the much clearer Falcon canopy in place. I'm glad I didn't fall for some of the detail sets that caught my eye when I started this build!

My first proper bit of rigging went well. The tail got its four bracing wires added and after adding a brass radio mast, that got a line to the tail as well. The four brace wires were run through drilled holes with one length of line.

A bit of engine grime was added to the wing tops and two exhaust pipes were fitted and painted. The third pipe pinged out of my grips while placing it, and it now resides somewhere in my modelling room. Curses. The undercarriage doors were added and yet more touch up added to the camouflage, both with  green and sand colours.

It can all dry out overnight and anything I've missed can get sorted then.

A coat or two of matt clear will be the final part of the build, then it's on to a few Gallery shots. This build has been a joy. 

IMG_6216.jpg

Edited by TonyW
wrong picture
  • Like 12