Gloster Meteor, camouflage scheme question

Thomas from ARC

Hello all,

next question regarding the Meteor. Today I received the FR. 9 kit. One of the marking options suggests Slate Grey (Hu 31) and MSG 637 (Hu 165) for top and PRU Blue (Hu 230) for lower surface.

Did this scheme actually exist? I am a noob on the Meteor.

The other scheme is  DG 241 and DSG 638 on top and PRU Blue, which is known to me.

Thanks for support,

Thomas

• Like 1

If you grab-hold of Flightcraft's book Gloster Meteor in British Service by Martin Derry and Neil Robinson, there is a colour drawing of WX965 in this very colour scheme.

Part of the caption reads  "...WX965 was one of the few FR.9s to be finished in the High Altitude Short Range Day Fighter Scheme, comprising Light Slate Grey and Medium Sea Grey upper surfaces with PRU Blue under surfaces to Pattern No.2, i.e. high up the fuselage sides."

If I recall, the only other aircraft I knew-of that used this scheme were some Canberra PR.3s.  Another aircraft that hardly falls into the category of High Altitude Shore Range Day Fighter!

Neil

Edited by neilfergylee
The inevitable typo...
  • Like 1

Yes its Light Slate Grey not Slate Grey 

I did my Canberra in this scheme using xtracrylix paints which look good to me. 

10b.JPG&key=e5992b268537536c40ff23b9c419

There is no Humbrol Light Slate Grey, if you want enamel then Xtracolor do it.

Julien

• Like 7

3 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

If I recall, the only other aircraft I knew-of that used this scheme were some Canberra PR.3s.  Another aircraft that hardly falls into the category of High Altitude Shore Range Day Fighter!

Neil

And B2s from 10 Sqn

• Like 1

The aircraft in the middle is the kit subject. When you look at them, there were quite a few FR9s in this scheme. The famous profile of a 208 Aircraft with orange nacelles was a mis interpretation of this scheme

2-squadron-meteor-mk-9-s-germany-1955_or

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

We've got Light Slate Grey in enamel too as our users would expect - ACRN05 Light Slate Grey

Sorry always forget you have a range of enamels. 

Julien

The scheme was not a PR specific scheme and PR types of the era did not use this but had a specific scheme with MSG upper surfaces and PRU Blue unders to Pattern No.2

The MSG/LSG/PRU Blue scheme was the result of an attempt at standardising colour schemes across the various RAF Commands and as such was introduced in 1951 for 2 cathegories: "Jet Propelled Bombers" (at that time only the Canberra B.2) and "Day Fighters - Short Range". The scheme was used for a brief time and within this timeframe was applied to a number of Vampire FB.9 and Meteor FR.9, and maybe to a few Hornets. The fact that the scheme followed Pattern No.2 while the later DG/DSG scheme followed Pattern No.1 makes it easier to determine if a Meteor is in this scheme even in B/W pictures

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

Yes, of course!  The Frog Hornet kit...

No, the Frog Hornet kit offered the wartime High Altitude Day Fighter Scheme of Medium Sea Grey over PRU Blue, and the postwar  Day Intruder Scheme of Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green over PRU Blue.  I believe this predated the scheme involving Light Slate Grey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forgive my ignorance, but if the Slate Grey/Green/PRU was a short lived scheme, what was the norm or later offering for the Meteor FR.9s, more specifically the II (AC) aircraft if thats makes a difference?

Edited by RMP2

On 10/10/2018 at 11:16 PM, RMP2 said:

Forgive my ignorance, but if the Slate Grey/Green/PRU was a short lived scheme, what was the norm or later offering for the Meteor FR.9s, more specifically the II (AC) aircraft if thats makes a difference?

The most common scheme for II (AC) was Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey uppers with PRU Blue lowers with a low demarcation between the upper and lower surfaces.

There were also aircraft in overall Aluminium (paint) although I don’t think II had any with their squadron bars.

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

The most common scheme for II (AC) was Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey uppers with PRU Blue lowers with a low demarcation between the upper and lower surfaces.

There were also aircraft in overall Aluminium (paint) although I don’t think II had any with their squadron bars.

Lovely thank you.
Shame it wasnt LAG underneath, but you cant have it all. :)

15 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

You have to go to an F8 for one of those!

Aye, they do look nice, but no good for II(AC). Annoyingly.