Avro Lancastrian With Nose Glazing

Max Headroom

Not generally known but the concept which eventually became the Lancastrian originated in Canada. The aircraft you refer to was the original "Lancaster Freighter" as conceived by Victory Aircraft at Montreal.  It was flown to Canada from the UK after release by Bomber Comand and44Sqdn, with extra fuel tanks in the bomb bay and a conversion carried out there.  On arrival back in the UK, Avro added the glazed nose, designed by Victory Aircraft, which housed the Navigator, plus a few modifications internally.  It was then returned to Victory Aircraft.

Trials in Canada with revised bomb bay fuel tanks proved the aircraft in having a range of some 4000 miles.

It was the Victory Aircraft concept that gave Roy Chadwick the idea for converting Lancaster aircraft to passenger carrying aircraft and which eventually led to the Tudor.  

As far as I know without referring to my notes, this was the only "Lancastrian" to have a glazed nose, subsequent aircraft, known as Lancaster XPP, having a solid nose, CF-CMT being the first.

The back end was quite different as well - make a good conversion  :-  

olhFCJW.jpg

Apologies - I should have added "Information from "The Avro Lancaster" by Francis K. Mason"

HTH

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57
Source Information added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1