Tornado GR4 conversion 1/48

Redstaff

Here's a question for all you Tonka gurus to hopefully point me in the right direction.

I bought some decals for the 70th anniversary 617 squadron GR4, one thing and another I never got round to getting a Revell kit before they were sadly discontinued, and from rumours I've heard won't be re released unfortunately

I have an Airfix GR4 which I've had a while, but have always shied away from as due to the bad reports.

What I was wondering was do I stumble along swearing trying to get the best out of the Airfix kit or is it possible with a bit of surgery to graft the relevant parts from the Airfix kit onto say a Revell IDS kit as I believe the main difference is only the chin pods (being 2 of instead of 1) and one of the cannons being blanked off?

Or is there a conversion kit out there for the IDS which would be better, I've had a quick google and not found anything, but that's nothing new

Many thanks

Ian

If you have the Airfix GR4 parts you can offcourse transfer these to the Revell IDS and get a GR4. Blanking off one or both of the guns (GR4A) is a matter of putty. 

As for the Revell GR4, it can still be found on Ebay, and the instructions are up on Revell's page; 

GR4: http://manuals.hobbico.com/rvl/80-4924.pdf

IDS: http://manuals.hobbico.com/rvl/80-3987.pdf

• Thanks 1

That's great, thanks Boman

I'll print both sets of instructions off and check the differences

I'll keep a look out for a gr4, but as long as I know I can convert an IDS I'm happy :) 

On 06/10/2018 at 14:51, Witness said:

Can also still order the gr4 kit from the Revell site, 40ish quid delivered

Thanks Witness, I never thought of checking the main Revell site

I've placed an order and they said it is in stock

So lets see what happens :)

Ian

19 hours ago, Witness said:

Mine showed up in a few days!

I've had despatch confirmation this morning so I guess I might see it by the end of the week

I've got a free gift coming as well, a Taschenlampe, whatever that is, I think a torch of some description maybe? 🤔

Ian :) 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 6:30 PM, tk1608 said:

I can’t understand why Revell discontinued it..

:(

It id still available online if you shop around... buy them all! Maybe Revell is ro re-release it then ;)