Fiat G.50 bis - the Regia Aeronautica has arrived!

I have been tortured for some time now that even though we have many Air Forces represented by our aircraft builds in this GB, we don't have any from the Regia Aeronautica - no aircraft collection is complete without those distinctive fascios on that gorgeous 3-colour honeycombe camouflage!

I think that there is time to fit in this simple build - wheels up of course. This particular type of Fiat G.50 flew in the Battle of Britain, I believe.

100_2611100_2612100_2613100_2617

Also has a pretty extensive kit Check List included - just how many of these has this GB covered???

100_2614

• Like 8

Thanks, John. Yes, I've got an SM79 as well but I thought it would be too much to attempt before time up. 3 engines and 2 torpedos! When I built it as s kid, I kept the dorsal gunner's cover loose so I could change between closed and open. I think the crew access door was left unglued too so it could be open or closed and of course the torpedoes could be dropped on any ships nearby! Great fun. All the best. Mike

• Like 2

The SM79 is clearly a favourite amongst us. I'm one of the admirers.

I started one a while back, never thinking I could ever fit it into the GB, but plodding on anyway. Now I find another ten days have appeared for the build and I'm thinking I might have a chance here.

In the spirit of 'I will if you will, so will I' how about the three of us throw common sense to the winds and have a go at one? What could possibly go wrong?

Tony.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

Good choice. I love the Italian camouflage schemes.

Tony.

Tony, I've done some research on colours and need to buy some more tins. I'll lay out the scheme tomorrow. All the best. Mike.

35 minutes ago, TonyW said:

The SM79 is clearly a favourite amongst us. I'm one of the admirers.

I started one a while back, never thinking I could ever fit it into the GB, but plodding on anyway. Now I find another ten days have appeared for the build and I'm thinking I might have a chance here.

In the spirit of 'I will if you will, so will I' how about the three of us throw common sense to the winds and have a go at one? What could possibly go wrong?

Tony.

Tony, I was throwing common sense to the winds when I pitched in with the Fiat G50 - I know my limitations! I honestly couldn't take on a multi-engine build at this stage - don't let that put you off, though. Best of luck. Mike

From the 'Stormomagazine' website,

'The new camouflage scheme, the so-called "Honeycomb Camouflage Scheme" used existing colors, however, were now applied in a more complex, soft-edged mottling scheme (Schema C, see Table 3).

C1_1a

It is important to note, at this time only the camouflage scheme was standardized and not the colors. The standardization of colors would only come later with the appearance of the Tavola X colors.  This of course led to interpretations of the three primary upper surface colors stipulated by the directive (Giallo Mimetico, Verde Mimetico and Marrone Mimetico) by each of the paint suppliers. It is interesting to point out, in each of the paint catalogues, the paint suppliers referred only to Giallo Mimetico, Verde Mimetico and Marrone Mimetico, not Giallo Mimetico 1, Giallo Mimetco 2, Giallo Mimetico 3 ... etc.  The index following the primary color (1, 2, 3 ...) corresponds to a modern means (CMPR Method) of identifying the origins of the color itself.   For example Giallo Mimetico 1 was produced by Inves, Giallo Mimetico 2 was produced by Masciadri while Giallo Mimetico 3 was produced by Arson-Sisi (Table 1).  Since Inves was a paint supplier to Fiat, Giallo Mimetico 1 appeared on the early mottle schemes of Fiat CR.32s and early G.50s together with Verde Mimetico 1 and Marrone Mimetico 1 (also produced by Inves).

The basic application of the "Honeycomb Camouflage Scheme" varied with each of the aircraft manufacturers, the unit and in some cases with the individual aircraft. This scheme could use as a base color Giallo (Yellow) or a Verde (Green) over which a contrasting color mottle, was applied. The mottle might be applied in various shapes, proportions and sizes. Examples of these variations were a Giallo mottling painted over a Verde background or Verde Chiaro (Light Green) splotches over a Verde Scuro (Dark Green) or vice versa. The third color, Marrone Mimetico or Bruno Mimetico was added to the two basic colors. Finally instead of using Marrone as the third color, two Greens and a Yellow were sometimes used.

As far as the "Honeycomb Camouflage Scheme" goes there were two basic types:

• continuous mottling, usually Dark Green over a Yellow
  • sparse mottling, Yellow or Light Green over a Dark Green base and vice versa with, sometimes, a light mottling of Marrone or Bruno

*Always cross check with photographs or specific references'.

'FIAT used Giallo Mimetico 3, Verde Mimetico 3 and Marrone Mimetico 2 on later production G.50s and CR.42s' and 'For undersurfaces all the aircraft manufacturers used Grigio Mimetico, although some aircraft remained unpainted Aluminum, especially prewar manufactured aircraft'.

NOTE: Regarding Fiat G.50 Interiors (Riccardo Trotta):
"? in the magazine Aerofan 1/1981 there is an article which reports some parts of the official book "Istruzioni e norme per ilmontaggio, la regolazione e la manutenzione" C.A. 381 referring to the Fiat G50 2° series CMASA, May 1940 (practically a maintenance manual) so before the issue of Tavola 10, and about the internal side of the fuselage, it says " Tutte le partiinterne della fusoliera sono verniciate con vernice antiruggine grigia" ... the translation is: "All the internal fuselage parts are painted with grey anticorrosion painting"; I don't know if this grey is the same as Grigio Azzurro Chiaro, but it is surely a grey" 

A handy colour conversion chart gives the Humbrol equivalents of these as:

Giallo Mimetico 3 - Camo Yellow 3 - Humbrol 63

Verde Mimetico 3 - Camo Green 3 - Humbrol 86

Marrone Mimetico 2 - Camo Brown 2 - Humbrol 180 (if not available, Camo Brown 1 is Humbrol 29)

Grigio Mimetico - Camo Grey - Humbrol 140

Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1 - Light Blue Gray 1 - Humbrol 141

From other images, pilot's flying suits appear to be mid to dark brown in colour.

I've only got one of the above colours so a visit to Hobbycraft coming up...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Ventora3300 changed the title to Fiat G.50 bis - the Regia Aeronautica has arrived!

I'm liking the look of this Mike, I've one of these on my shelf of shame, it was an early effort after getting back into the hobby & discovering Britmodeller but I bottled on the camo so some of the info you're producing will be useful & might prompt me to get it back out, it'll need a rebuild rather than just a refinish I think, my modelling has moved on a bit since then. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This really is an ambitious colour scheme - way beyond the ability of my shaky hands and dodgy eyesight - I will watch in awe.

• Like 2

Main parts of the Fiat G.50  bis are together. Fit of the wings was pretty good and there is zero dihedral. A little filler required on the upper wing joints and the cowling needs to sit back further at the bottom - will need cut away slightly as there appears not to be enough room in front of the wings. I wonder what the large holes in the wing leading edges are for - radiators maybe? I'll have a think about what could go in the holes. Painting next and time is definitely very short.

100_2630

100_2631

• Like 3

The Fiat G.50 bis is coming together - half-wheels painted and in, undercarriage doors on and undersides painted in Grigio Mimetico - Camo Grey - Humbrol 140. The prop blades are H65 light blue and the engine in gunmetal has been given a dry brushing with black. Pilot is wearing 'khaki' and will get leather boots and helmet.

100_2674

Top surfaces are in Giallo Mimetico 3 - Camo Yellow 3 - Humbrol 63 and even the yellow on the cowling, always a notoriously difficult colour for me to paint, has gone on beautifully. The modelling gods must be smiling upon my efforts this week - just as well! Engine is in and prop is on. Guns are picked out in gunmetal - thank you again to the photographs for pointing out where more is required!

100_2676

100_2675

• Like 4

Cowling is on the Fiat G.50 bis and the pilot is in. I've put the tiny canopy on - masking is impossible at that size - and I'll have a go at touching some paint on the framing as we go.

Gloss cote on and all but the serial and squadron numbers transfers on - I thought the camouflage pattern would show through the white backing on the fasces etc, so decided to put them on top of the base colour for consistency. The fuselage band eventually broke up while being adjusted so I'll need to paint that in next.

I've had what I think is a brainwave for painting on the green and brown of the camouflage, hence the two foam shapes stuck to the ends of the paintbrushes. Fingers crossed.

100_2697

• Like 7

Thinking two to three steps ahead is a sure sign that you have a clear vision, resulting in big dividends when you get to the finish line. Smart thinking Mike.!

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, the 'printa-a-camouflage' technique I had in mind didn't work out - the penny dropped after a while that I was trying to paint on top of the gloss put on for the decals! Gaaaahhhh!

Anyway, I just had to do it the inspired splodge way. Numbers on, matt cote on and the Fiat G.50 is finished.

Very short on time so just to say a very enjoyable pressure build and thanks again to all you modellers for the support along the way. Next stop the Gallery!

100_2698100_2699100_2700100_2709100_2706

• Like 4

A great, late effort to get all these over the line this week Mike. 

The little Fiat has turned out very nice and its always good to see a freely spinning prop doing it's thing.

Cheers and well modelling (yet again!).. Dave

• Thanks 1