Airfix's new Handley Page Victor K.2

Fantastic photo Mike!...there aren't many images of '940' in her camo days around, in fact, although I have a good sized library on the aircraft I could only dig up a couple. One from the Handley Page Victor Volume 1 by Roger Brooks and another from the ancient but excellent Air Pictorial two-part article from June 1972. so thanks for posting...

Cheers James, thanks for the info regarding the seat. Must agree the Victor looked superb in this configuration.

Tom, thanks, you really must get hold of one, nice mojo/sanity restorer between all those heavy duty vacs...

Now that I'm on a 'putor, I have just noticed the representation of the blinds surrounds in the upper windows - very good

Thanks James, it's something that's easily overlooked, much like the B2s missing circular intake in the wing stub for the Vapour Cycle Cooling Pack which was omitted on the K.2. A strange omission as the stubs themselves are separate pieces. Different tailcones were offered for the ECM and non-ECM aircraft so why not the VCCP stub? Same goes for the inclusion of the refuelling lights on the B.2 and no mention of cutting them off in the destructions. Fortunately, the K.2 kit does include the later cone with the central fuel dump pipe outlet.

I also added the blinds (and VCCP intake) to the Blue Steel BMk.2 test-shot I did a while back for Airfix. 

1-1-_DSC_0107-001.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 2:07 AM, general melchett said:

Thanks Latinbear, appreciate that. At the moment all finished models are stored in large plastic storage boxes including extra large flat ones you can get from Ikea that are a perfect fit for a V-Bomber, it's the only way to ensure that they don't get covered in dust! I'm very lucky in that I have a lot of room to store and display models at home and I'm in the process of finishing 4 good sized built-in display areas in the attic room (mancave). These will be airtight as a precaution against the dreaded dust and sealed using rubber lined glass doors. It's an expensive process but I'm slowly getting there.

Hi General,

Not sure how I missed the original post! Lovely Victor, it's the only one of the V bombers I've ever really liked the look of. Look forward to seeing the article down under.

Also thanks for the tip about storage - I have limited display area and a lot of the kits are currently in old photocopy paper boxes. The Ikea boxes sound like they may take up less space being shallower - Is this the one you use? https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30180943/

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone, your comments are always appreciated.:cheers:

I always thought the Victor was pure Gerry Anderson!  Maybe it even inspired the series of international rescue?

Only thing missing maybe is a trailing landing parachute?

Completely agree, I'm convinced he looked at many of the amazing designs around at the time and incorporated them into his machines, (in fact he used several mainstream models available at the time including the Lindberg B-58 and Draken, Aurora F-104, Hawk Kaman Husky and F-5, etc. They may well be a Lindberg Victor in there somewhere as well.

Funnily enough, someone was selling fully deployed resin brake chutes for the Victor on Ebay last year, along with a resin SR2 reconnaissance pack, (which I bought at the time, not needed now, of course). Sadly they are no longer available....wish I'd got hold of the chute as well! 

Also thanks for the tip about storage - I have limited display area and a lot of the kits are currently in old photocopy paper boxes. The Ikea boxes sound like they may take up less space being shallower - Is this the one you use? https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30180943/

Michael, yes that's the one. I use a polystyrene base with raised sections to hold the model off its undercarriage to make transportation safer. Best to check your clearances before closing the lid! So far no problems with the three Victors I have.

• Thanks 1

Wow that is a beauty Andy,....... put a better background behind it and I`d be fooled into thinking that it was real,....... that camouflage is superb!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks guys, appreciated,

put a better background behind it and I`d be fooled into thinking that it was real,

Thanks Tony, funnily enough, I have Photoshop CS6 here and have been thinking about actually sitting down and learning to get to grips with the thing for some time. 

I might well have a go at backgrounds when I think I'm actually getting somewhere with it, (may not actually fall into this life cycle!).