Airfix's new Handley Page Victor K.2

Many thanks for all the kind comments chaps, it means a lot.

It makes me want to start my B.2!

What are you waiting for Lord Riot....scrum down and get stuck in man  :hobbyhorse:

Based on that picture alone it looks like my current one might meet an untimely end, and I'll be in the market for a decent one.

Don't worry Gaz, I also have a few finished Matchbox jobs, though all with the Flightpath/DB resin as I couldn't live with the kit intakes, and while nice at the time they now stay firmly in their storage boxes. It was a good kit for its day but that day has come and gone. Go out and treat yourself to the glory of the new kit...It's not cheap but against a lot of similarly priced kits you get a lot for your money. You can get a few bargains if you look about ...I picked up a couple at a show last year for £30 each!

This is bigger than 1/72, right?

I wish it was Michael... I'm trying to persuade Airfix that they really need to upscale the kit....don't think it's working though.

During my time working in MOD, I received an invitation to go up to RAF Marham and join a No 55 Sqn Victor on a tanking exercise up over the North Sea refueling Lightnings and Phantoms, during the flight I sat in the number six seat and was able to slide it up behind the Pilots seat to look out of the side windows to watch the fighters move alongside before they did a wing-over prior to plugging in. 

Thanks for that Robin, must have been a great experience. Interesting to hear that you were able to use the sixth seat position, I know the floor rails were left in place so I assume it was easy enough to refit a seat. I'll definitely look into this and ask Mike Beer to find out what I can.

I almost bought one of these today but plumped for the cheaper Airfix Wellington instead. Based on your build, and my wish to build one of the kipper fleet, I'll have to head back to Mr Models pronto!

Well I can't fault you for buying either Edge, they're both great kits...however you're right, turn right around and get yerself back to Mr Models sharpish, it looks like the K2 is a big seller right now...

Thanks again everyone...

Melchie

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Latinbear, appreciate that. At the moment all finished models are stored in large plastic storage boxes including extra large flat ones you can get from Ikea that are a perfect fit for a V-Bomber, it's the only way to ensure that they don't get covered in dust! I'm very lucky in that I have a lot of room to store and display models at home and I'm in the process of finishing 4 good sized built-in display areas in the attic room (mancave). These will be airtight as a precaution against the dreaded dust and sealed using rubber lined glass doors. It's an expensive process but I'm slowly getting there. 

Thanks Lolo, appreciate the comments.

Well, it goes to a good cause Pete...the more people buy it, the more pages and articles can be added and the more interesting stuff can be included. It's already the best selling model magazine by quite some margin, (ABC figures, not mine) and hopefully the more it sells, the more can be included......and of course it keeps me in work!

Now we don't want that Mike, hell of a dry cleaning bill! Thanks, that's really kind of you, honestly if you only get one Airfix kit, this should be it, it's superb...the shipping is definitely a pain but if it's a one-off it'll be worth it.

Well, I try my best to provide a bit of inspiration for everyone, that's why I'm always happy to chat about anything at the shows I attend, anyone is capable of great results given the right encouragement and information.

Thanks again folks... 

Thank you general, can't see my wife permitting anything like that! Airtight doors? Make sure you don't lock yourself in!

• Like 1

Very nice, Melchie. I read your article while on a recent holiday break in Greece. What else to do! ;) Excellent stuff!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Thank you general, can't see my wife permitting anything like that! Airtight doors? Make sure you don't lock yourself in!

Ha..well sometimes it seems like a good idea..what with women folk all over the place.  :tomato:

I read your article while on a recent holiday break in Greece. What else to do! 

Thanks Martin, nice to know I contributed a little bit toward your hols...hopefully, it went down well with a glass or two of the local plonk!

Cheers Dermot, the Phantom was a lot of fun and thanks to the editor's suggestion, (due to him formerly working on FGR.2s), I did something slightly different with the weapons fit...

I wasn't going to buy an Airfix Victor, I really wasn't going to get one but Hannants are now taking advance orders for Scale Model World...…..

Resistance is indeed futile Richard...I'd pick one up sooner rather than later.

Lovely build Mr Melchett, hope to see it in the flesh some time soon. Just caught up on your Phantom build too in the Airfix mag, just the read I need to get me one 

Hi my old mucka, well Newark's just around the corner, so I think you just might.  Glad you liked the Phantom, it's a nice little kit...you really must get one, be fun to see what you do with it. Actually, it inspired me to get a lot more bits and bobs for my 1/48th Hase kit on my recent pilgrimage down to Hannants, Lowestoft. Problem is I'm going to need a couple more kits to use everything up!  :banghead:

Memories of Marham ! Beautiful Build,

Thanks Triplex, I also have great memories of Marham, especially back in the early/mid seventies when the K1/K1A's were still there....ah, the belching smoke, ear-splitting noise of struggling Sapphires and occasional waft of Avtur still bring a tear to my eyes, in more ways than one!

22 hours ago, general melchett said:

I am going to try and cross-pollinate one with the Flightpath BMk.1 resin set to create a K1/K1A). 

I would love to see you do this. I have the conversion set - all I lack is the skill and the kit!

Fantastic build, well done.:clap2:

Mike.

Edited by mikesmodels
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike, I've shown this before, as it's a few years old now and still needs finishing but I used one of my sets on the intended Matchbox kit to create a 10 squadron B1. This is my favourite version of the Victor, which just so happens to also be my favourite aircraft.......see, it all makes sense! I really must haul it over the finishing line sometime soon. Interestingly though, other than the fuselage and tailplanes, many of the Airfix kit parts would make for a better model, especially the outer wings (with suitably modified ailerons), flaps and undercarriage. If you wanted a K1/K1A then all the refuelling parts are available and would also work well.

1-_DSC_0127.jpg

• Thanks 1

To the Victor go the spoils &etc.

A crisp rendering and detailed notes to go with it make this a pleasure General.

This image really emphasizes the fluent curves and flows of this incredible airframe. Thanks!

12 hours ago, general melchett said:

1-_DSC_0127.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, for a moment there I thought you were referring to me, 'really emphasises the flatulent curves' then I re-read it... 

Totally agree, the Victor was an amazingly bold design, in no small measure down to the inspiration of German aerodynamicist Gustav Lachmann and the brilliant Godfrey Lee, both far-sighted HP gentlemen....and not a blasted computer in sight!

• Haha 1

Top notch build and finish, really have caught the look of the Victor well there.

Cockpit detail really brings it to life.

I have taken a Spear & Jackson to a Matchbox Victor myself with the intention of modeling the 1st HP80, one day it will be finished.

I rushed into buying the Airfix B.2, but now wish I hung out for the K.2 (similar story with the 24th Typhoon!) as it is my favourite version.

The 6th seat rails, and indeed the seat, were still fitted to XL190 when it was retired.

Apart from the issue you mentioned,  a biggie is if you pose the flaps up the instructions point out to remove the wrong part, namely the distinctive outer flap track fairing on the upper wings. This will leave that part as a sorry looking cut off state and the flaps to have a hideous gap from the wing surfaces.

It should be the inner flap track from the wing undersides parts that should be cut off.

One to be weary off.

Anyhow, superb stuff!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, 29Triplex said:

Memories of Marham !

I recall my late father telling me that in the mid 70's whilst playing golf at RAF Marham's golf course, located adjacent to where the Victor's were parked, he sliced his tee shot and smacked a nearby Victor on the tail. Unfortunately he didn't tell me the serial!  

Not sure if this counted as a "moveable obstruction" under R&A rules...  🤔

Rich

• Like 1

17 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Mike, I've shown this before, as it's a few years old now and still needs finishing but I used one of my sets on the intended Matchbox kit to create a 10 squadron B1. This is my favourite version of the Victor, which just so happens to also be my favourite aircraft.......see, it all makes sense! I really must haul it over the finishing line sometime soon. Interestingly though, other than the fuselage and tailplanes, many of the Airfix kit parts would make for a better model, especially the outer wings (with suitably modified ailerons), flaps and undercarriage. If you wanted a K1/K1A then all the refuelling parts are available and would also work well.

1-_DSC_0127.jpg

I was wondering if I could use the Flightpath set with the Airfix kit rather than use the Matchbox. I would love to have a model of XA938 of 214 Sqn. I had a flight in it in 1967 when I was a 17 year old ATC cadet with 42F sqn.

Cheers,

Mike.

Thanks James, yes you're quite right regarding the flaps. The Interim B2 I'm working on has the flaps retracted and yes I came across this issue and with a lot of dry-fitting managed to sort it out quite easily, but definitely one to look out for. 

Personally I'm more a fan of the bomber variants as I think all these lumps and bumps on the hanging off the airframe, while adding interest from a modelling standpoint sort of ruin the graceful lines of the aircraft, hence my preference for the early clean-winged BMk.1 and BMk.2s, each to their own. 

he sliced his tee shot and smacked a nearby Victor on the tail. Unfortunately he didn't tell me the serial!  

Great story!...wonder if it left its mark....does it count as Foreign Object Damage...and more importantly did he finish the round above par?

I would love to have a model of XA938 of 214 Sqn. I had a flight in it in 1967 when I was a 17 year old ATC cadet with 42F sqn.

Quite a memory Mike, although I got to fly in quite a few interesting aircraft in my cadet days, sadly I was never offered a ride in a V-Bomber. Interestingly enough though we were given cockpit tours of XA937 and XA932 of 214 on the pan which was the next best thing back then. I'm sorely tempted to model XA940 which was the only camouflaged B1 in service and didn't have the IFR system fitted, so no probe, (it failed the mod standard for use by the TTF for conversion to K1 status and so was used by the MIN TECH A&AEE Boscombe Down for engine strain gauge tests, ending her days at St Athan. It would make for quite a unique Victor model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Quite a memory Mike, although I got to fly in quite a few interesting aircraft in my cadet days, sadly I was never offered a ride in a V-Bomber. Interestingly enough though we were given cockpit tours of XA937 and XA932 of 214 on the pan which was the next best thing back then. I'm sorely tempted to model XA940 which was the only camouflaged B1 in service and didn't have the IFR system fitted, so no probe, (it failed the mod standard for use by the TTF for conversion to K1 status and so was used by the MIN TECH A&AEE Boscombe Down for engine strain gauge tests, ending her days at St Athan. It would make for quite a unique Victor model.

You mean this one, photographed at St Athan 1971 BoB day. Sadly I didn't have a camera with me on my Victor flight!

033-14-Handley-Page-Victor-B1A.jpg

Cheers,

Mike.

Edited by mikesmodels
  • Like 5

lovely shot, I'm sat looking over that area right now, very different scene these days.

The Victor does look pure like that.

Should have added earlier, the extra seat was removable by sliding a lever at the front of the base which retracted pins in the rollers, and I seem to remember that caps were removed from the ends of the rails

• Like 1

I’ve resisted buying this new Victor so far, but seeing it made up (and to such a high standard) makes it harder and harder to pass it by. Beautiful work!

• Like 1