Airfix's new Handley Page Victor K.2

Fantastic piece of work! AMW arrived yesterday and having had an initial browse I now need to sit down and read it properly, not least the build of the RAF F4.

Out of interest and given the size of the completed kit where do you store the Victors you've made previously? 

• Like 2

Andy,

(If I might call you that instead of using your rank.) Speechless! What a beautiful build! Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to shell out the BIG bucks to get one- not so much for the kit, but the shipping! You are not only a prolific modeler, but a highly skilled one, as well. The K2 has always been my favorite of the V bombers, and is one nasty-looking beast that you have done justice. Thanks for giving us mere mortals something to shoot for. As they say in the Ford truck TV ads over here, "It hasn't raised the bar- it IS the bar!" I almost soiled my lederhosen when I saw the RFI photos!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Latinbear, appreciate that. At the moment all finished models are stored in large plastic storage boxes including extra large flat ones you can get from Ikea that are a perfect fit for a V-Bomber, it's the only way to ensure that they don't get covered in dust! I'm very lucky in that I have a lot of room to store and display models at home and I'm in the process of finishing 4 good sized built-in display areas in the attic room (mancave). These will be airtight as a precaution against the dreaded dust and sealed using rubber lined glass doors. It's an expensive process but I'm slowly getting there.

Thanks Lolo, appreciate the comments.

I suppose I’ll have to get my hand in my pocket & fork out for the mag now. 

Well, it goes to a good cause Pete...the more people buy it, the more pages and articles can be added and the more interesting stuff can be included. It's already the best selling model magazine by quite some margin, (ABC figures, not mine) and hopefully the more it sells, the more can be included......and of course it keeps me in work!

I almost soiled my lederhosen when I saw the RFI photos!

Now we don't want that Mike, hell of a dry cleaning bill! Thanks, that's really kind of you, honestly if you only get one Airfix kit, this should be it, it's superb...the shipping is definitely a pain but if it's a one-off it'll be worth it.

Well, I try my best to provide a bit of inspiration for everyone, that's why I'm always happy to chat about anything at the shows I attend, anyone is capable of great results given the right encouragement and information.

Thanks again folks... 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, always appreciated.

Unfortunately not easily seen, (well, unless you tip it on its side and peer intently through the open crew door with a pen torch) but nevertheless lurking in there is a detailed cockpit and rear cabin. These were detailed using Eduard's Interior set mentioned earlier. The kit seats have been totally reworked as they were a little undernourished. Seat padding and extra harnesses having been added along with ejection seat firing handles. As built the kit seats are inclined too far back and so the locating tabs beneath them were removed and the seats fitted at the correct angle. The sixth seat provided in the kit was not used in the K2, it being a throwback from the bomber days when the bomb aimer waited his turn or the crew chief parked himself there during Lone Ranger deployments. Also, during the Falklands conflict, the carousel INS system was located in the area. 

1-_DSC_1630.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Great looking model Andy as always, one of my favourite V bombers/tanker, I even bought the Rareplane HP Victor, when I was a novice and unfortunately only made one wing before it was scrapped lol.

Are you bringing it to Telford

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Andy,

(If I might call you that instead of using your rank.) Speechless! What a beautiful build! Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to shell out the BIG bucks to get one- not so much for the kit, but the shipping! You are not only a prolific modeler, but a highly skilled one, as well. The K2 has always been my favorite of the V bombers, and is one nasty-looking beast that you have done justice. Thanks for giving us mere mortals something to shoot for. As they say in the Ford truck TV ads over here, "It hasn't raised the bar- it IS the bar!" I almost soiled my lederhosen when I saw the RFI photos!

Mike

And-y i completely agree with this Lederhosen-guy! BTW: Ozapft is! This is the Oktoberfest (Now in MUC) tank releasing signal for the following pressure refueling of all vict-ims there, it would take a lot of vict-ors there....

Prost!  :cheers:

Tom

• Like 1

Well thanks chaps, this is exactly why I like this forum, such a bunch of decent folks... 

one of my favourite V bombers/tanker, I even bought the Rareplane HP Victor, when I was a novice and unfortunately only made one wing before it was scrapped lol.

Are you bringing it to Telford

Hi Kev, hope you're well mate. Kudos to you, you're one of the few I've heard of that actually got beyond opening and quietly closing the lid on the old Rareplanes jobbie. One wing sounds like quite an achievement from what I understand, bit of a pig by all accounts. Have you got anything planned for this year?

Regarding Telford I'm not sure if it'll be there yet. Simon Owen and the lads at Airfix have asked me to bring a few along for their stand so there's a possibility, (unfortunately, it doesn't fit into the Bomber Command timeline or theme this year...though I am going to try and cross-pollinate one with the Flightpath BMk.1 resin set to create a K1/K1A).

Ozapft is! This is the Oktoberfest (Now in MUC) tank releasing signal for the following pressure refueling of all vict-ims there, it would take a lot of vict-ors there....

Tom, thanks...I'm going to chuck that lot through my Enigma code-breaking machine I have here in Melchett Towers and see what breaks loose...:winkgrin:  ....hang on, is it something to do with copious amounts of alcohol, loud music and having a really great time?...if so, I'm in!

• Like 1

That is the standard of modelling I think most of us aspire to. Stunning, absolutely breathtaking. And because it's a Victor that makes things even better, such a beautiful and sinister aeroplane. It makes me want to start my B.2!

• Like 1

Oh bother !  I've already got Matchbox/Revell 57 Sqn K.2 on display that I can see from where I'm sitting.  Until now I've been more than happy with it.......it looks like a Victor doesn't it !  Do I really need another ??  Well your first picture.......those intakes......100% Victor.......unlike the Matchbox abomination.  Based on that picture alone it looks like my current one might meet an untimely end, and I'll be in the market for a decent one.

Quality build as usual, with the bar set exceptionally high for the rest of us. :worthy:

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

The sixth seat provided in the kit was not used in the K2, it being a throwback from the bomber days when the bomb aimer waited his turn or the crew chief parked himself there during Lone Ranger deployments. Also, during the Falklands conflict, the carousel INS system was located in the area. 

During my time working in MOD, I received an invitation to go up to RAF Marham and join a No 55 Sqn Victor on a tanking exercise up over the North Sea refueling Lightnings and Phantoms, during the flight I sat in the number six seat and was able to slide it up behind the Pilots seat to look out of the side windows to watch the fighters move alongside before they did a wing-over prior to plugging in.  I must say that your Victor is once again up to your usual excellent level of work.  Well done.    Robin.   

• Like 1

Lovely result General. I almost bought one of these today but plumped for the cheaper Airfix Wellington instead. Based on your build, and my wish to build one of the kipper fleet, I'll have to head back to Mr Models pronto!

Edge

• Like 1