1/48 Kinetic Aermacchi M-346

Mr B

Hi chaps,

I have completed my Australian F-18 and still awaiting the decals for my Provost(s), so itchy hands has got me to start one of the gold boxing from Kinetic. Picked up during Scale Art Malaysia. Always liked the type and I am more or less certain to do it as a what if Royal Malaysian Air Force aircraft. As Malaysia used the MB339 and the CM so logically in a perfect world, the 346 could be a contender....

I have heard alot of good things of this new gold series, so I am eager to see how it goes as compared to other Kinetic kits i have built.

iXIstuI.jpg

qKX9fVz.jpg

6lMeSKG.jpg

Details look great and the cockpit looks full enough OBB. Test fits so far look ok but not great

In my haste, I have not even washed the spurs yet ...lol

Rgds

• Like 8

Hi folks,

A small update, I have started the build and got the basics of the seats and cockpit parts in the process of being finalized. So far the fit is great but the seat head board area still as with most kinetic offerings, offer a seam in between

Photos soon. Instructions are a bit better but still omits some colour call outs....one so far.

rgds

Saw plenty of the Singaporean jets doing their training thing in France when I was near Cazeaux on holiday this summer, interesting looking aircraft!

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Cheers Wez,

I have seen one in Singaporean training colors of orange and white, really would like to do one in that scheme....for now its going to be a what if Malaysian

Anyways, I have managed some progress

EQNt7NV.jpg

tl1lgM6.jpg

so far the cockpit is almost finalized, just some small bits on the seat n hud parts. I elected to simplify the seat harnesses by the way.

oMbjHFE.jpg

glued the main wheel wells up and the nose gear. So far the fitting is great slip in and glue type. The test fits on the tub n fuslage also fits well....for a multiple part area, looks good.

hope to try and close things up soon.

best regards n happy modelling.

• Like 5

Thanks Silenoz,

If not mistaken, the gold boxings are their premium kits with ease of construction and better molding technology withbetter details and less slip shot fitting and stuff, so far this kit is living up to that reputation. 

Still early days, but looks good thus far....

rgds

Hi all,

got some work done. Installed the main gear wells and the burner cans. So far still on the good fitting scenerio ...only one of the mating hole on the burner can needed a drill out on my copy. Not flawless quality if this is pacakaged as a premium kit.

Don’t like the nose gear set up too, which needs the whole thing in place to complete the assembly but thats just a personal preference... next update should see the sides done up and the full airframe should be seen.

7bIHz6n.jpg

bplgeKY.jpg

Since its going to be a what if finish, I plan to leave the rear with gun metal. Lets see unless if i get lazy masking lol

cmhLBmq.jpg

the internals. The intake trunks sit on top of the wells with a shared tubine which should line up both trucks correctly.

the surface details are very nice and restrained....

So far, its pretty enjoying only for some minor issues ....

rgds

brian

• Like 4

More progress, here is where the gold becomes steel.

H0RARnR.jpg

the intakes don’t have the best fit. Dunno if it was my issue or molding...

GjvQwry.jpg

The tail fin too has a gap on the front portion. Next will be the sides together, ran into these issues thus the sides not mated yet.

rgds

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

That is for sure no gold, but typical Kinetic.... 1 thing I learned from their kits, is that fit can be perfect, but it takes a lot of dry-fitting, sanding it slightly to allow for proper fitting, dryfitting, and when it all falls together... maybe some glue... A lot of preparation, but in the end, you'll have a splendid kit, no shake and bake... Further complications are that you need to study your references very good, visually identify the necessary pieces for the version you want to build, it's mostly all present, but not indicated...

18 hours ago, Silenoz said:

That is for sure no gold, but typical Kinetic.... 1 thing I learned from their kits, is that fit can be perfect, but it takes a lot of dry-fitting, sanding it slightly to allow for proper fitting, dryfitting, and when it all falls together... maybe some glue... A lot of preparation, but in the end, you'll have a splendid kit, no shake and bake... Further complications are that you need to study your references very good, visually identify the necessary pieces for the version you want to build, it's mostly all present, but not indicated...

Lol. Very good discription on Kinetic kits. I test fitted it all ways and ended up with what I got....anyways....pushing on. Would like to finish it soon

thanks draken/j-fever yes indeed it is a nice looking plane....

rgds

• Like 2

Hi folks

the sides are together. All seams taken care off....i think. Not great but not bad....unfortunately, this far this kit does not fall into the category of high quality...its getting there but still there are areas where putty n filling required.

yQsLOs4.jpg

L8X4nYT.jpg

next will be to tidy up stuff with small bits and bobs and then onto paint. As you can see most of my wonderful gun metal paint is gone....lol

finalizing the what if scheme in my mind. Will mostly will be mix of the original green/dark yellow and maybe a darker grey from the later types.

rgds 

• Like 5

Thanks mate,

I have progressed, next will be the intake masking and then onto paint.

the pre cut mask given free as a promotion during my purchase of the kit really made the canopy work easy.

tMyydsI.jpg

S1iFL8Z.jpg

hopefully the next update should have paint on. Really like the shape of this plane... 

rgds

• Like 7

Thanks mate. Much appericated.

got it painted. 

DZZeMT9.jpg

xuxN6Ar.jpg

so8x1lB.jpg

i have blended the new and old schemes of the Malaysian older macchi.

next will be touch up n clear coat.

rgds

brian

• Like 4

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

color: surprise surprise!

nice!

Thanks boss. Glad you like it

2 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

Hi Mr. B,

It's a pity this kit is not so "solid gold" after all, I would like to do an Israeli AF version.

Keep up with your work.

Thanks kawan. Yes just another newer kinetic kit with marginal better fitting n instructions. Still QC needs work. No way a premium kit. Anyways love the subject and it is of course better then the 1st gen kits. Kinetic is getting better with each release.Paint sticks on stuff without washing as opposed to the earlier ones lol.

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

It IS a cute little thing.

Yes it is. Love the shape of the thing. Looks like a small brother to a bigger jet lol

• Haha 1

Finished it.

aZStRMC.jpg

PfgxAnR.jpg

dFGodWU.jpg

Royal Malaysian Air Force No 15 Sqn

All in all good fun, not too sure about the flap tracks is correct or not. Tht one no step on the stablizer also moved position....whiles setting....ahh well.

Just a fun what if build....  to test out the new gold range.

my verdict, no where near a premium kit standard. Still errors, ommission and so so fit are present in some parts. They are getting there...as so far this is the best Kinetic kit I have built....lovely subject n still will build them ....can’t wait for the pucara

rgds n happy modelling to all

• Like 3