Sword 1/72nd Spitfire Mk.XVIe, 5503, Air Operations School, SAAF, Langebaanweg, 1951

John Masters

Nicely recovered!  The thing is a Mk.XVI comes in both high and low back flavours being essentially a Mk.IX with a Packard rather than a Rolls-Royce Merlin, that said the majority were low back aircraft.

I like the look of the low back XVI's, I feel it restores some of the grace to the Spitfire lines that it had lost from the Mk.1 days.

Not much in terms of gaps on the fuselage. That's lucky.   A test fit of the wings showed a tight fit with just enough wiggle room to get it all aligned.  We shall see.  

44260941435_a4efabaaa6_z_d.jpg

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 4

Wings are on...I have filled the wing root to my satisfaction.  Any more and the sanding and buffing required would eliminate the panel lines.

31307024648_8c404d3e9a_z_d.jpg

But I have some work here...

30242352717_184aeea7c1_z_d.jpg

...and here...

44270023295_f33ff6637b_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

This looks like a neat little kit, although the wrong scale for me. Now that you're building a low back you won't need the Co2 bottles anyway. I'm sure that you will have worked out by now that the wedge shape is part of the  ' rollover  ' structure, it should have a couple of lightening holes in it and a small triangular plate fitted at 90deg.

John

Edited by Biggles87

On 10/9/2018 at 9:27 AM, Biggles87 said:

you won't need the Co2 bottles

Right.  Actually there is no mounting points for the piece anyway, so...yes, no bottles.

I am wondering whether to add the slipper tank.  I have two.  Any words of wisdom?  

I have filed down the underside 'steps' the best I could without ruining the kit.  I am not one to remove all the plastic an then build it up again and re-scribe, etc...Not my thing at all.  I'll fill in the gaps with some putty.

I have added the air intakes and the very nice resin weapons provided.  A nice touch.  Stabilizers, etc...

44503370304_2398e03ae8_z_d.jpg

Air intakes...

45225495391_ec3aa691f7_z_d.jpg

And the prop is in the mix too...

44503366084_b23f51c071_z_d.jpg

There is a conference here on the island which I must attend and it begins tomorrow afternoon, running through to Sunday morning.  Since the GB doesn't end until the 17th, I think I can make it.  If I finish the Phonix tonight, I can pick away at the Spitfire until Sunday evening.  

--John

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I am wondering whether to add the slipper tank.  I have two.  Any words of wisdom?   

Not exactly words of wisdom but would a training aircraft need to carry extra fuel?

I had a quick look for some photographs of SAAF Spitfires to see if any had the slipper tank installed but couldn't find any.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling - needed to need.

1 minute ago, Beard said:

I had a quick look for some photographs of SAAF Spitfires to see if any had the slipper tank installed but couldn't find any.

I rather doubt it. My general impression is that the slipper tank wasn't particularly well-liked, nor often used when not a necessity.

An issue wit the canopy...The rear section of the canopy does not close completely and snuggly to the front section.  It gets hung up on the rollover structure.  This will be an open canopy kit!

I'll make a picture of the canopy issue later, but first, re-primed and ready for the the paint...

43501527930_1f6d9c292b_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

I'd say no slipper tank, it was not needed on a trainer.

The gaps under the fuselage are to be expected in what is afterall a short run kit. I see that they were not that much of a problem for you.

Lokking forward to the painted model, this scheme IMHO fits well the lines of the Spit XVI

Back from the conference and back at the bench.  The aircraft was reported, canopy sections masked, etc...

I added the Light Sea Grey to the underside...actually I used a Gull Grey. I hope no one minds.  I'll mask the lower bits and apply the Dark Sea Grey upper side this morning or early afternoon.  The prop/spinner is also done.  I'll add a better picture of that this afternoon.  I have until Thursday, I think, to get this done, but I would like to have this finished as well as the Phonix by the end of the week.  I am bowing out of the GB scene for a few builds (until the Maritime GB).  I'll be building off-topic, so to speak.

30390925697_6af1896170_z_d.jpg

• Like 8

They do Giorgio...however, my Vallejo Air 'Medium Sea Grey' is very dark, more in line with the 'Dark Sea Grey' they ask for on top.  I am making a choice.  It may not be perfect, but it what I have to work with...

44419475995_f73caf1189_z_d.jpg

43517103060_832aed5bbb_z_d.jpg

I hope this doesn't offend anyone!

--John

• Like 5

I'll have better close-ups when it is finished, but suffice to say I believe I am ready for some decals!

I'll wait until it is finished and weathered before I attach the rear portion of the canopy--same for the pitot tube, the whip antennae and the tailwheel.

44613780194_c4caa149fc_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

I decided to take advantage of the afternoon (working tonight) and apply the decals.  They look really nice.  Nicely registered, highly detailed.  I applied the stencils first and they went on very well.  They are legible so I won't bore you all with what they say.  We know what they say.  Then I looked at the roundels, call numbers, etc...very pretty, right?  Don't you just love those gazelles?  I mean...very cool, I think, right?  Can't you feel this building up to a big SNAFU?

30399722867_4a7a8daf49_z_d.jpg

Exhibit A...

45289760772_06e9131ba1_z_d.jpg

The roundels are too small.  Or the gazelles too large...I don't know...

F&^%#$*&^%^&*damn!  Thankfully, this was the only one and I was able to slide the gazelle back onto it's still-wet backing paper, the roundel too.  Frantically I searched the files for some blue and white roundels...I finally decided to use some of my precious Pheon 'RFC/RNAS Pups in France' roundels.  I measured first and they are 1mm larger internally, so the gazelles fit.  The blue is slightly darker but it will have to do.  All six are the same.  The gods of decals have been testing me of late (Fokker, Sabre...) and, frankly, I've had enough of their shenanigans!  "Go bother someone else," he exclaimed, shaking his fist at the sky.

Or maybe it me.  I have just done a google check and the gazelles are slightly superimposed on the roundels.  It appears I have egg on my face.  Should I try to fix this?   

• Like 1

This is what confused me...in the instructions the gazelle is quite clearly within the blue ring.  Dammit.  I have decided to leave well enough alone.  The solvent has already adhered them too well.  I'll destroy them otherwise.

44616864564_2a2ccece71_z_d.jpg

• Like 1

The Springboks are indeed slightly superimposed on the roundel, however not as much as shown in the kit decals. IIRC the horn are above the blue ring but the hooves are not.. at least in general

Regarding the blue of the roundel, IMHO the kit decals have it too light, if your decals have a darker blue they are likely more correct

Edited by Giorgio N

Thank you, oh wise one.  Yes, the ring is slightly darker...RFC roundel blue.

Ate the very least the gazelles are leaping in the correct direction!  Now that would be a disaster!

9 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

am not sure of accuracy, but the detail looks good at first blush.

The basic shape is good, it suffers in the detail a bit. Fit is quite good but be careful where the wings meet the rear fuselage. A plastic tab is in order there.

John.