25pdr Field Gun & Quad +++Finished+++

Because of the extension to the closing dare, and the fact it has sat in the background of my LCM build, I now offer this up. I know Tonyw has also recently built this but I did look at my stash and was amazed at how few Airfix kits of this period it contained. The two that cried out to be built were the HP0/400 and the Bristol Freighter - neither of which could be completed by me in the time scale. So here is the 25pdr Field Gun & Quad 1:76 as reissued as a Classic Kit.

DSC02210

As out of the box 

As I intend painting this with acrylics without any primer this was the first task

DSC02211

an in the bag wash with warm water and washing up liquid

the out to dry - this will be the sprue shot

DSC02212

Unlike Tonyw I will be pre-painting many of the parts before assembly. My build will be based on the example at the IWM Duxford. This has one general advantage in that it is just In green with no camouflage. Also if needed I can always pop over to see the original as Duxford is under an hours drive for me.

Edited by Paul821
  • Like 5

Surely this entry is the last GB start to make an appearance? 

I know stranger things have happened, however if my maths is correct this is GB build #154!! 

All the best and we'll all be watching on to guide you through to a successful completion. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Surely this entry is the last GB start to make an appearance? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hey Dave that is a 'wicked' thing to suggest - almost like 'go on I dare you' - 'I double dare you'...

• Haha 4

Progress being made, I really need to finish this on Sunday as I have 4 non modelling days next week.

I am being hampered by things like this

Capture

Airfix claim to have cleaned the moulds up on their classic kits but there is a fair amount of flash on my example and things like the above. Work is made harder by the fact they seem to be using a very soft plastic, which makes cutting and filing much more difficult as well as slightly warped pieces.. Having discovered this I have had to modify my work programme as there will be a number places where gaps will appear and need filling.

Picture below shows the position I reached last night. I have not yet got to my modelling table this morning.

DSC02214

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

the weathers rubbish

It may be rubbish but I spent this morning at a local Model Railway show where I picked these up. I do actually need them for my diorama.

DSC02215

It must be the simplest Golden Years kit there is! 

• Like 5

Work does continue on the Quad and I am really only posting this update as a reminder to myself of the weekend's deadline.

Most of the painting is complete, some assembly and glazing to do.

DSC02239

• Like 5

I have now reached the stage where a gallery post could be made

DSC02242

but there are a couple of tweaks I would like to make before the deadline.

• Like 5

In my initial post I mentioned using the example of the Quad at IWM Duxford as an example. This was the reason for the two tweaks, I) It is a soft top and 2) It has a gloss finish.

For the first I went back to basics and remembered that in the Airfix Magazine of the 1960's the way of making a soft top was to paint tissue paper, so that is what I did here. The gloss finish caused a moment f panic last night as I discovered that I had no gloss varnish and the nearest LMS is 20 miles away. As luck would have it I had to be in the LMS's town this morning for another reason, so procured said varnish.

One picture here others in Gallery, and another in chat - where the future of my builds will be revealed.

DSC02244

• Like 3