1/350 USS Saratoga 1940

I will start at the beginning,bought this model at a model show with parts missing,for only £10.The trader had tried everything.I tried one of my sellers on eBay,bingo, he was able to get the part.That was 2yrs ago.Bought extra aircraft cheap,yes like cheap.One of the boxes were SB2U scout bomber,the first monoplane aircraft to serve on Saratoga. The research started,first the etching from Eduard ,the bridge is upgraded to 1940,which mean I could put more modern aircraft on board.

Sb2U-1 Vindicator x12

TBD-1 Devastators x20

F2A-2 Buffalos x12

F3F-1               x12 the biplanes are tiny when, compare to the modern aircraft. 

VS-3SBC          x12

Next problem was a display box ,most were showing to be £200.Fainted :shocked: .At another show in Aberdeen.there is a trader who will make then much cheaper.The catch he will not post any(too many were getting damaged),or bring to shows,not enough space in his van.I,m in luck because he lives in Glasgow, which is only an hour for me each way.Same price as postage,which would have been,when he did post.That's why it's taken two yrs to get round to making this monster 90cm in length,height  23cm and width 20cm.

1_zpsbxitm1b3.jpg

Sara%201940_zpspqdmhpqt.jpg

20181003_123937_zpskckqmtrq.jpg

5_zpsl6lgay16.jpg

• Like 12

15 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Will be keeping an eye on this I have the kit but no PE yet so will be taking notes :book:

beefy 

Hi beefy 

A seller is selling all 3 sets of eBay . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eduard-1-350-USS-Saratoga-CV-3-Part-3-Big-Ed-Set-5349/332757619107

Talk about the etching ,eduard have these 3 sets,there is a set from Gold Medal Model,which is good and a lot cheaper.There l go again,but this time l went with eduard this time.As l said before this etching updates the bridge to 1940 ish.Another thing you can go on to their website and they have pictures of the P.E. fitted to the kit,which can be a life saver.We all been there ,were does that  bit go ,because the plans don't make sense.

20181003_124515_zpskkpn2oop.jpg

5a_zpse2ccv12y.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

How big 

20180917_085608_zps4sfrkceg.jpg

Big enough, not sure where mine will go when I finish it! Looks like the etch will spruce it up a great deal.

Will you be doing a full hull or waterline version? I have read that getting the upper and lower hull parts together takes a bit of work.

• Like 2

Started on the funnel. You have to cut out the plastic frames and fit brass boxes into the openings. Guess what, they don't fit.Then cross bars and funnel caps.l have also put plastic card at the bottom of the boxes,so you can't see the bottom of the funnel.l couldn't find any close up pictures of top of funnel,so a bit of artistic licence was used.

20181006_104017_zpsayql2hxj.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 months later...

I have been busy on other ships,HMS Roberts,nearly finished,a sailing ship 1/350 Esmeralda(she is a training ship for the Chilean navy) ,just a cheap one,to see if l can do a HMS Victory,all that rigging, probably will be my last and USS Saratoga, she has been slow build,but now back to her,because waiting for railings for Esmeralda,can't do the rigging or sails until the rails are on,Please no jokes,had then all 🤣😂🤣 Took of photo of all 3.

2eea7688-db5e-481e-ba17-779f623a1e74-ori

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 5