Zoukei-Mura/SWS 1/32 Ta-152H1

This is the Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ta-152H1. A kit that has been sat on my shelves for far too long, it kept on winking at me - and kept on being put back.

However, I finally summoned up the courage and off I went. The kit itself has a reputation for having a bit of a bad fit, but I found that with a decent amount of dryfitting, a lot of sanding and a small bit of patience, that it actually went together really quite well. There were a few problem zones - the wing root on the underside was one, as were the wing fillets (which had to be sanded to paper thin in order to get a decent join!). However, as with every Zoukei-Mura kit, the end result is rather spectacular. With all that glorious internal detail, it would be a terrible shame to have it all sealed up.

Zoukei-Mura provide decals in different colours for the fuselage numbers and squadron markings giving the builder an almost unimaginable amount of possibilities when finishing the kit. I opted to go for Red 7 for no particular reason other than the fact that the red number (in my opinion!) helped to set the fuselage out a little bit and make it look a little bit less drab. Other options included Blue, Green and Yellow!

Anyway, the markings are fictional, the kit was great fun to build and I'm now looking forward to my next challenge - a WNW Felixstowe. Prepare the liquid calmer Sir!

Enjoy!

Chris

SWS Ta152 H1

SWS Ta152 H1

SWS Ta152 H1SWS Ta152 H1SWS Ta152 H1SWS Ta152 H1

SWS Ta152 H1

SWS Ta152 H1

Edited by Chris Jephcott
  • Like 34

Morning Chris! What a result eh?! Superb work. Now, Felixstowe, no excuses!! ;)

Going back to the Ta-152, that mottling is some of the best I've seen, you'll have to share your techniques when we meet up next. Any idea why it was called the Ta-152 when clearly it's a high altitude Fw-190? I wonder why they went all curve-ball with the type designation? 

Matt’s quite right - the Ta was applied to FW aircraft after the name of Kurt Tank, who designed them. 

See also the Ta-154 and others! 

And Mark, the key to my mottling is just one simple thing on top of Gunze paint - Hataka lacquer thinner. I don’t know why, or the science behind it, but one day I was playing about and added it to white tamiya paint - and low and behold... it didn’t splatter at all!! So I thought it was worth a go with other splattery type colours. And It worked. 

Probably about a 60 paint/40 thinner mix, sprayed at 15-20psi and using very gentle airbrush control to stop it from puddling. 

Chris

Edited by Chris Jephcott

• 3 weeks later...

Just catching up with a few posts - but thank you very much for your kind comments. I was surprised when ZM said that the undersides should be a mix of bare metal and RLM76. But the overall effect looks good (or at least according to me!)

Thank you very much!

Chris