Best Sunderland model?

Neil.C

I'm thinking of asking for a Sunderland kit for my upcoming birthday and so far have seen an Airfix MkIII and an Italeri Mk I and III.

Are any considerably better than another? As it is a present I don't want them to spend too much .

Thanks. 

The Airfix is older, simpler and cruder, but as I understand it accurate in outline.  It would benefit from a set of Falcon transparencies.  The Italeri kit is much more recent and hence more detailed.  It appears that the panelling has been overdone - whereas the Airfix has period riveting.  Otherwise comments have varied: I suggest a search.  However I don't believe I've seen comments condemning it on the grounds of poor outline shape.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree - both have their own merits. Both kits have similar shapes (as does the MPM one) and seem to conform with plans and pictures. There are many builds and reviews of both. Here's mine.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234930547-italeri-sunderland-mk-ii-raaf-10-squadron/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940047-italeri-sunderland-mk-ii-raaf-10-squadron/

• Thanks 1

A lot depends on your priorities. Personally what I'd be looking for is a well-priced second-hand older release of the Airfix kit, the Falcon / Squadron transparency set and some after-market decals.  But that's me:  I'm not that bothered about internal detail throughout the aeroplane, and I can happily fake up enough cockpit detailing to make myself happy.

I don't like the surface treatment of the Italeri kit though it has a lot more of an interior than the Airfix one.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input Gents.

Those who have seen me around the forum know I am an OOB type modeller who lacks a lot of the skills shown on this forum so as long as the kit isn't a nightmare to assemble I'll be happy.

Probably look for a second hand Airfix.

Thanks again all. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

You may also want to look into the Special Hobby one which is inching ever closer.

SH should be very close to Italeri. Basicly it was the same mould I think? Just differ as variants differs. Please correct if I am wrong.

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

11 hours ago, Neil.C said:

I'm thinking of asking for a Sunderland kit for my upcoming birthday and so far have seen an Airfix MkIII and an Italeri Mk I and III.

Are any considerably better than another? As it is a present I don't want them to spend too much .

Thanks. 

Hi Neil,

Really depends on how accurate you want your Sunderland to be?

Each of the current Model kits have pros and cons

Airfix has a reasonably good shape, but suffers from other issues such as the forward edge of the  Bomb bay doors

being 5-6mm too far to the rear, outer edge of kit Port holes are actually the size of the outer edge of the opening

portholes, when transparencies should be 4.2mm as opposed to the 5.2mm on the model. Engines need replacing as do exhausts

Props are wrong, aftermarket should be looked at (All Sunderland marks had 12 foot 9 inch dia (388.62cm) = 53.97mm in 1/72)

Kit transparencies need replacing

A link to a work in Progress on the Airfix kit by me (note you don't have to be so AMS like mine :D

(Scroll down to post #92 re bomb bay doors)

Airfix Kit build

Italeri kit shape issues such as the bow and keel. The Italeri Bow is far too narrow, and keel (especially at stern end too wide),

and Italeri have placed a porthole on the lower stern (doesn't exist), it's a camera port

Kit has reasonable engines (both Mk I/III) and props are about correct diameter - I measured them.

Portholes are about right diameter, but the bow turret -hmmmm

The interior is Bogus also

Comparison photo between Airfix and Italeri keels - Given molding limitations etc, Airfix is the better of the two

2e1a61b9-621d-4382-bb44-87837f4d38c5.jpg

What the real thing looks like

90446c8c-39e6-4811-80d3-b79c21a8b55e.JPG

Below is a link into a little discourse on the Italeri Sunderland by me earlier this year

Italeri Sunderland

I note the SH Sunderland mentioned above, I wouldn't hold my breath on that being the Zenith of all

Sunderland kits, it too has accuracy issues.

All said above, it's what you would like to accomplish with your model build. if you want OOB then either

Airfix or Italeri will give you a nice model when finished.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As of a few days ago, the expected official release date for the SH one is now May-June, so I'm hoping it will make a nice Christmas present!

@Neil.C - if you are doing it 100% OOB, then pick up an Airfix if like me, you can't live with the panel lines.  If you can, go Italeri. If you are prepared to do some filling work, the Italeri is much better.

• Thanks 1

Here's my effort with the Italeri Mk.I.   It came out alright in the end and has won a couple of prizes - probably on the grounds that no one else in the South of England has been mad enough to build one!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235037001-sunderland-mki-da-g/

Note the use of most of a tube of filler and a serious metalworking file tells a fair bit about the kit.  There are a few visible defects in the parts witnessing where different inserts in the moulds allow for the different marks at the step, dorsal area and rear turret.

Hope this helps you with your choice. 

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Neil,

All said above, it's what you would like to accomplish with your model build. if you want OOB then either

Airfix or Italeri will give you a nice model when finished.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

Thanks for all the fine info Alan, so interesting.

I'll ask for a Sunderland for my birthday and see what I get! 

13 hours ago, malpaso said:

Here's my effort with the Italeri Mk.I.   It came out alright in the end and has won a couple of prizes - probably on the grounds that no one else in the South of England has been mad enough to build one!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235037001-sunderland-mki-da-g/

Note the use of most of a tube of filler and a serious metalworking file tells a fair bit about the kit.  There are a few visible defects in the parts witnessing where different inserts in the moulds allow for the different marks at the step, dorsal area and rear turret.

Cheers

Will

That's a lovely build Will. 

If I can get anywhere near that I'd be ecstatic!

21 hours ago, malpaso said:

Cheers

Will

Not sure why you needed loads of filler, here's my Italeri Mk.I (almost finished) at the Plymouth Show this summer.

Sun1.jpg

Sun2.jpg

The only place it needed a lot of filler was to close the gun hatches off as Italeri don't give you the parts for this. I did spend some time fettling and a couple of coats of Mr.Surfacer went on the leading edges but most of it was sanded off as the flaws were small but noticeable. Same on the wing roots although the curved surface made sanding a bit trickier.

Other changes I made / will make are Pavla cowlings with closed cooling gills and Pavla propellers with correct detail for props without spinners.

Maybe the most annoying problem was the undersize landing light covers, I cut the rear section off a couple of gash Spitfire canopies but that option won't be possible for everyone.

If you go the Italeri route I suggest the Eduard pre-cut mask set, I counted over 100 pieces in it and was glad not to have to do more than place them on the model.

I chose Italeri because I wanted a Mk.I. If I was to do a Mk.III I would be tempted by the Airfix route as a) it's likely to be cheaper and b) I already have the Falcon canopy set which includes the Sunderland. But I wouldn't rule out the Italeri kit and the final decision might depend on which came along at the time I wanted one.

Whichever you choose don't worry about any supposed faults, just enjoy building it and you will end up with something that looks pretty much like a Sunderland 🙂

Edited by rossm
note re landing lights
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, rossm said:

Not sure why you needed loads of filler, here's my Italeri Mk.I (almost finished) at the Plymouth Show this summer.

Sun1.jpg

Sun2.jpg

The only place it needed a lot of filler was to close the gun hatches off as Italeri don't give you the parts for this. I did spend some time fettling and a couple of coats of Mr.Surfacer went on the leading edges but most of it was sanded off as the flaws were small but noticeable. Same on the wing roots although the curved surface made sanding a bit trickier.

Other changes I made / will make are Pavla cowlings with closed cooling gills and Pavla propellers with correct detail for props without spinners.

Maybe the most annoying problem was the undersize landing light covers, I cut the rear section off a couple of gash Spitfire canopies but that option won't be possible for everyone.

If you go the Italeri route I suggest the Eduard pre-cut mask set, I counted over 100 pieces in it and was glad not to have to do more than place them on the model.

I chose Italeri because I wanted a Mk.I. If I was to do a Mk.III I would be tempted by the Airfix route as a) it's likely to be cheaper and b) I already have the Falcon canopy set which includes the Sunderland. But I wouldn't rule out the Italeri kit and the final decision might depend on which came along at the time I wanted one.

Whichever you choose don't worry about any supposed faults, just enjoy building it and you will end up with something that looks pretty much like a Sunderland 🙂

A beautiful looking Sunderland but I've never seen that colour scheme before, that is, I've never seen a natural metal Sunderland with Type B roundels.  You mentioned that it was almost finished.  Does that mean that the scheme you have applied is interim or was this a genuine scheme?

9 hours ago, rossm said:

Whichever you choose don't worry about any supposed faults, just enjoy building it and you will end up with something that looks pretty much like a Sunderland

So you're implying that these model kits don't have any faults/issues?

I would like to see how you qualify that statement with actual facts?

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A beautiful looking Sunderland but I've never seen that colour scheme before, that is, I've never seen a natural metal Sunderland with Type B roundels.  You mentioned that it was almost finished.  Does that mean that the scheme you have applied is interim or was this a genuine scheme?

It is the pre-war silver scheme but with Type B roundels as shown in a photo of this particular aircraft. The only slight speculation is the individual code letter F as this does not appear in the photo but is given in references.

Discussion here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235040144-1939-roundel-colours-on-a-silver-sunderland/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

So you're implying that these model kits don't have any faults/issues?

I would like to see how you qualify that statement with actual facts?

I can hardly be bothered to reply as you obviously want to nit pick rather than take my statement in the spirit in which it was intended which I guess could have been phrased better as "Ignore any faults, just enjoy!".

Having said that I would go along with the general comments made about these kits in terms of shape and detail.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rossm said:

I can hardly be bothered to reply as you obviously want to nit pick rather than take my statement in the spirit in which it was intended which I guess could have been phrased better as "Ignore any faults, just enjoy!".

Having said that I would go along with the general comments made about these kits in terms of shape and detail.

Yes , that would have been the better phrase to use, nothing to do with nit picking

12 hours ago, rossm said:

That's my intention Ross.

The way I build them it is a coincidence if they look like the intended aircraft! 

BTW Your natural finished MK I is gorgeous. 

11 hours ago, rossm said:

Sun1.jpg

That's a really nice model @rossm.  I chose the Mk.1 too because I'd always been intrigued by the scruffy look of DAG in inappropriate camouflage.  I had thought a new tool kit would fit together well but on mine the wing chord was quite different on the top and bottom parts (hence the big file) and the thickness of the wings was thicker by 1-2mm than the roots they plug into which needed much filler and prescribing to sort; in hindsight I should have lined up the more obvious top surfaces and done the filling on the underside - except that would interfere with the anti-sub bombs etc etc...  On my kit it seemed two different toolmakers who'd had a major falling out had worked on the kit - one side had nice subtle panel lines whilst the other side a relative of the Airfix (grandson of the Matchbox) trench-digger had been at work. 😉

There's nothing too difficult that should stop anyone buying the Italeri kit, I was just a bit disappointed that some great detail was included but was let down by poor fit on my example.  I'm quite happy filling and filing, it's just a bit annoying on a new tool.

Cheers 

Will

It comes down to a matter of personal taste, especially if its a Mk iii you want. When I wanted a Sunderland kit the other week, it was the over the top exterior detail of the Italerii kit that was the deal breaker for me and I went down the Airfix kit with Squadron transparencies route.

Martian 👽

• Like 1