1/72 RS Models Avro 671 Rota MkI

Another model to add to my 1940 interest bubble. :winkgrin:

The Cierva C.30 was a mid-1930s design of autogyro which was licensed and built by Avro in the UK, Lioré-et-Olivier in France, and Focke-Wulf in Germany. The UK version, powered by an Armstrong Siddeley Genet Major I radial, was given the name Rota. Initially sold for civilian use, the type was also acquired by the RAF. It was intended to use the aircraft's capabilities for the army co-operation role, and twelve were delivered to the School of Army Co-operation at Old Sarum between 1934 and 1935. When the Second World War was declared, all the civilian UK Rotas were impressed and joined the dozen RAF examples equipping 1448 Flight at Duxford. The Rota was an ideal aircraft to help with calibrating the new radar defence systems, and eventually No 529 Squadron was formed at Halton for just that work. 

The RS Models kit was the 2016 issue. The company has so far released three versions of their kit, covering most of the operators of the Avro C.30 as far as I can make out. The boxing included decals for a 1930s RAF Rota MkI, Swedish, Swiss and Spanish Navy Avro C.30s. I dug around on the internet to see if I could find the typical camouflage and marking for a 1940 RAF Rota MkI. What I have ended up with is my best interpretation, and I am open to correction - though the model won't be changed now!

I did a short WIP thread for this model. I brush-painted the finished model with Humbrol enamels. Fuselage roundels came from a generic Xtradecal set, as did the tail flash, and Ventura serial numbers. The tail flash needed some paint retouching, and I might have been better painting it from scratch.

44339792574_d9885b0be4_b.jpg

44339792914_c089e803ab_b.jpg

44148403795_5dd538c067_b.jpg

45059233061_1c03fb13f2_b.jpg

• Like 33

40 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

It looks like mine so actually, it must be right!

Thanks Ed! Your build was the only one that turned up in my searches for early war markings and camouflage. I chickened out of the antenna pylons, though. Full marks to you!