1/72 Hanriot HD 1 convwrsion from Airfix Sopwith Camel

Evening All,

This is a blast from the past - a response to a question from a modeller on another site. I told him that I had made a model with a thistle insignia once - in my case it was an Hanriot HD 1 as flown by the Belgian ace Willi Coppens. I believe that the thistle was a personal marking on the fuselage. The model was converted from the Airfix Sopwith Camel following an article by G. Scarborough(?) in Airfix Magaine around 1970. This was my first or second completed biplane conversion and involved a bit of cutting and reshaping of the wings and fuselage, and a new tail. The markings are hand painted, (there were no transfers available at the time I made this in the mid-1970's), and it is rigged with stretched sprue. I know that there are good kits available for this type now (and in God's Own Scale), so this conversion is an anachronism which sits in one of my cabinets to remind me what I was doing in an earlier modelling incarnation. Please do not look too closely at the pictures or you will see all of the obvious deficiencies - just think of it as an example of how times and the availability of kits has changed.... it was what we had to do at the time if we wanted something a little different.

31176121238_dac3654dc6_c.jpg

31176121208_2b8c280b3e_c.jpg

31176121278_0d98d27a42_c.jpg

43237757470_317d3883ea_c.jpg

45048386371_b6117fcaa7_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

P

• Like 23

That looks absolutely terrific.  Just goes to show that the Airfix Camel can be built in to an accurate looking model, just not a Camel!  Excellent work on the markings as well.  I would imagine the HR Models kit of the Hanriot is pretty good.  I've got their Pup in the stash and it looks a lovely model

• Like 1

Very interesting conversion, I'd never have thought of that one. The thistle was the squadron motif, designed by Coppens. It went through a few variations.

Ian

• Like 1