Mosquito Flap Question

Grizly

Firstly- is that MM695/G an NF30 prototype in the photo that TBC posted? Secondly- it may be the angle and reflection of the light off of the curved leading edge of the flaps, but it appears to me that the camouflage color ends in a band across the leading edge of the flaps, especially in the second photo. I am just guessing here, but I'm thinking the paint was applied with the flaps up and the control surfaces in neutral, so might there not be a band of primer color that would show when the flaps were lowered? Just an uneducated guess, understand, but B-25's, P-47's, and P-51's all  exhibit this same appearance either as a band of bare metal or primer paint. I couldn't find any photos of  Mossies with their flaps lowered from the rear- just the front view. Am I crazy? (Don't even think about a comment @RidgeRunner!)

Mike

Production line shot at Hatfield. Look at the areas I've circled in red-the pattern matches. Who knows how battle-damaged aircraft would have been refinished.

IIcfPn.jpg

Edited by TBC
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TBC said:

Who knows how battle-damaged aircraft would have been refinished

Probably off the wing but it depends where the damage was and mission requirment / priorities in wartime . All our flaps were painted off the kite  ,not in a war !