Lublin R.XIII Hydro Polish Seaplane 1/48 Mirage Hobby

Hi everybody,

Just finished this nice seaplane. It is a Mirage Hobby kit that has been around for quite a while. I was in between making the land or the sea version, but in the end floats won. A simple kit, few parts count, but it does take some extra effort to build, especially the alignment of fuselage, support struts and floats. I used some photo-etched bits and pieces, and the Yahu instrument panel for Lublin R-XIII (funny brass color). A bit of scratch-build for lights and the cockpit. The model is finished with Tamiya and Akan paints, and Microscale Flat varnish. It has an impressive wing-span for its scale, almost the size of a Stuka. Comments, questions and critical observations all welcomed!

Dimitris K.

DSC08050.jpg

DSC08016.jpg

DSC08055.jpg93

DSC08037.jpg

DSC08009.jpg

DSC08019.jpg

DSC08068.jpg

DSC08038.jpg

DSC08042.jpg

DSC08011.jpg

Edited by Dim_Thessalonica
  • Like 38

Thanks for the comments,

Hans, your question has already been answered: the asymmetrical wing markings were to deceive the enemy gunners.

For those of you who haven't heard about this kit before, well, it is an old (1980s I think) mold from a Polish firm called Spojnia. Since then it has been reissued many times by Mirage Hobby, in two boxes, one for the land-based, and one for the seaplane. As I said it is a basic kit, but for those who want more details there is a special photoetched fret from Part, and the instruction panel from Yahu.

Best

• Like 1

A real beauty....love the looks of that seaplane. I've got two of those kits, and have the same problem, deciding wich one to build...!!!!

At some point, I thought about a SCW whiffer.....!!!!

cheers

• Thanks 1

Very nice work!!! :thumbsup:

Indeed, she's a big girl! Did you use the Part PE set for it? Part also have PE sets to improve the gun.

There was an experimental V-tailed version of this land version of this aircraft, the R-XIX. I hope to build that some day.

• Thanks 1

Artie, Pete, thanks for the nice words.

18 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Very nice work!!! :thumbsup:

Indeed, she's a big girl! Did you use the Part PE set for it? Part also have PE sets to improve the gun.

Thanks a lot! I did buy the Part PE, but I ended up using it ….partly: the pilot and gunners' seats, a few things for the floats, and the cockpit floor, and a couple of others. The flat cockpit walls frames were used as a guide in order to make more realistic round ones from evergreen plastic. I did not use the parts for the gun. The "details vs mental health" ratio did not favor such endeavor. I also bought the Yahu instruments panel, very nice indeed.

Edited by Dim_Thessalonica

Yes, the gun kit is fiddly.. The R.XIII I built in 2011 has suffered some battle damage, and I'm repairing it now. As you might guess, the forward sight on the gun was lost. Gaspatch has some nice guns that I'll use on my Hydro and R.XIX builds. While I used the Part PE IP on my R.XIII, I have Yahu IPs for the other two.

On 10/4/2018 at 3:44 PM, 303sqn said:

Extracts from the 1935 film  "Rhapsody of the Baltic".

I got 6 good images from that. Thanks for posting!!

My Google-foo couldn't find a copy of that film. Is it online? I'm also curious about the ship; was that Grom or Błyskawica?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just found this kit in a bookshop last weekend but the instructions were missing. I could muddle through but is there a pdf anywhere of these as that would really help

Dim - What colour Tamiya paint did you use overall? And I love your treatment of the rust / joints on the floats - superb

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reddo said:

Hi I just found this kit in a bookshop last weekend but the instructions were missing. I could muddle through but is there a pdf anywhere of these as that would really help

Hi

The instruction is available to see here

http://archiwum.plastikowe.pl/recenzje/48-mirage-hobby48302-lublin-rxiiiter-2

and some more about here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdgjfF_oeOA

Regards

J-W

P.S.

And here

https://www.mojehobby.pl/zdjecia/0/6/5/6678_2_PRT-S48-001_2.jpg

https://www.super-hobby.pt/zdjecia/6/1/6/11152_2_mir848091_4.jpg

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Reddo said:

Dim - What colour Tamiya paint did you use overall? And I love your treatment of the rust / joints on the floats - superb

Hi Reddo,

Sorry for the delayed answer and thanks for the comments. The basic colour I used for the upper sides was Tamiya XF-25 +around 10% a very light green, to add a bit of green hue. For the ribs, I post-shaded with the same mix lightened by Gunze C332. Under-surfaces it is AKAN mat aluminium 66000, which I find very convincing. Hope it helps.

Furbar57 thanks a lot.

303sqn, excellent video. I had seen photo instances, but not the full thing. Thanks.

Best,

Dimitrios