Tamiya 1:32 P51-D Mustang - Finished

So, I have been away for a month or so on business and whilst I was away I got a little self indulgent present delivered :)

After finishing my previous model I decided to challenge myself with a NMF finish and so got the 1:32 Tamiya P51-D Mustang with which to have a go.

As I am still a relative newbie I am doing this OOTB..........baby steps....NMF is my next goal.........maybe scratching will come later.

I have never attempted NMF before, have purchased some Alclad II black gloss primer along with airframe aluminium and dull aluminium to use on select panels as it seems people like to break up the panels to make it look more realistic.....we'll see how it goes. Got an old Nimrod model that I intend to use as a paint mule and see how easy (or not) it is to get the desired effect. If all else fails I can always go back to the Tamiya rattle cans.

So, having had a week or so of very intermittent bench time I have the pit done, still needs to be weathered but I'm reasonably happy with it so far. Also got the engine done and just about ready to join the fuse halves together.

Model has gone together well so far, no fit issues so hoping this trend continues as I have had very few fit issues with Tamiya (except those self imposed by not looking at the instructions properly!)

So here is how she stands now..........as always, comments and critique most welcome.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg

Edited by Starspell
Changed to finished
  • Like 8

More progress today, got a decent few hours on the bench. Fuse joined and all the extra pieces around the engine all added and painted. Excuse the potato in the pics, I 'borrowed' one from the missus and use them to poke cocktail sticks into them when I paint/dry parts!

10.jpg17.jpg12.jpg14.jpg18.jpg

The tail wheel assy all done (just noticed how bad the join on the middle bit is!)

15.jpg

Also done the vertical stab and the rear ailerons done - absolutely love the way Tamiya have done these so they are movable (with small PE metal tabs and inserts - which I haven't encountered before on any other Tamiya model)

13.jpg

Also got the, what I guess is some sort of exhaust/cooling area done - again, PE parts

16.jpg

And finally, made a start on the armament, took a while to do these - picked it all out with a cocktail stick :) very pleased with the result.......best I have ever managed to achieve.......dead chuffed!

11.jpg 

As always, comments and critique most welcome...........it's how I know where to improve (and even sometimes where I've done good :) )

• Like 8

:) Looks great - I’m also doing this build (on hold while I get replacement for N-9 gunsight from Tamiya). Your ammunition looks superb, and the wear&tear you’ve added to the engine. I don’t have the nerve to try NMF on this kit but I hope yours goes well, it’ll be interesting to see how it’s done.

• 1 month later...

So, I've been away from the bench for a few weeks, business trip to China.

But now I'm back and hit the bench for a few hours over the weekend and got a few more bits done. Most of the assembly stages are now done, wings on, undercarriage done, ordinance done etc.

And so to the part which is all new to me..........NMF 😬  Got a black base down, (Alclads' ALC-305 Gloss Black Base)

19.jpg20.jpg

Next up was a go at the NMF, for this I'm using ALC-119 Airframe Aluminium on the engine panels, rear wheel assy and ordinance. I think it looks pretty good considering this is my first go although I think I may have sprayed on a bit too much of the 119. Seems like a VERY fine line between not enough and too much!  I figure that if I make a pigs ear out of it I can always go back and spray with the Tamiya rattlecan (AS-12 Bare Metal Silver) but I am going to persevere with the Alclad unless it all goes t*** up!

21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg

The rear wheel well looks nice and smooth but I have got a slightly rough finish on the engine cowlings so going to sand that back down and try get it better, thing is, I'm worried about loosing the rivet detail so I'm going to have to be very careful.

A couple of questions to the community.

1) With Alcald I've read that you should be JUST able to see the black gloss primer, I guess it's just experience that tells you when enough is enough, any tips on this for an Alclad virgin/newbie?

2) Do you leave the model with just an Alclad finish (don't know how scratch/knock resistant Alclad is?  Or should I give it a coat of Future/Gloss?

Anyways. that's where I am now. Just going to mask up the canopy and fit it and a few other bits then take a deep calming breath and plunge into getting the NMF over the whole airframe.........wish me luck :)

• Like 7

Oohhh........babys got a new coat! Not too shabby, even if I say so myself. for a first time round with Alclad I'm pretty happy with the result. Got some spots just below the canopy on the port side, not sure what caused them but they don't seem to want to go away even tho I sprayed over a second time once dry? Hopefully they will be covered by the decals 🤞

24.jpg25.jpg26.jpg29.jpg28.jpg29.jpg

• Like 5

if i had to fly a warbird it would be the P-51D.  

looking good.  soft spot for these planes

Edited by SA80A2AR

Thanks for the tip Colin, nitrile gloves are the order of the day from now on...........already knocked a small chip in the paint which is going to need touching up.

cant help to much but i use some bluetac in the U/C bay and stick a bit of dowel in it and any use the dowel to handle it.  you do have to be careful or paint striping though.

Edited by SA80A2AR

Seems like Alclad doesn't like being handled too much as I'm starting to see the black base thru the shine. Do you guys top coat with a high gloss finish or Future. Some seem to say yes, others no!

I really want to keep this nice and shiny so any recomendations for a durable high gloss varnish that won't attack the Alclad?

Anyone got any experience (good or bad) of Alclad II Aqua Gloss Clear ALC600 ??

Great build. I have an observation: what color are you using for the cockpit and interior? Zinc Chromate Green? If so it should be Interior Green, with is more of a yellowish olive green hue. The best match I have seen is the Testors Model Master version but Vallejo's has that color to that looks convincing.

@nachjager  The colour for the interior is what is called for in the Tamiya instructions, a 2:1 mix of XF 3 (flat yellow) and XF 5 (flat green)    <XF-3:2 + XF-5:1>

I'm assuming you think that this is not exactly correct?  You're thinking it should be slightly darker/more olive?  

Too late for me now and I'm happy enough with how things are. More concerned on my gloss/future coat issues at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, it's been a long time since my last post/update. Work and Christmas got in the way of any progress. I was away on business for a month and came back just before Christmas. Upon my return, to my horror, I found that my lovely Alclad finish had gone real bad. The paint appeared to have been badly affected by my old finger prints, lots of black prints had appeared. Sure, the finger prints were surely mine, but they had really affected the paint......maybe due to being left for a month in a cold, damp shed??  Anyways, out came the black primer again and started all over again.....this time sealed with Alclad gloss after the shiny stuff was all back on again and looking good. Even tho I think I did an OK job the first time round (my first try with Alclad), I think second time around I was more comfortable with its use and got a better finish......so maybe it going bad and having to redo it wasn't a bad thing?!?!?!

Once the gloss coat was dry it was time to decal, warm water and Decalfix were the order of the day(s). Decals went on without major issue, just one of the stars and bars split in two...but careful placement of the 2 parts makes it near as dammit invisible.

Taken a while, but almost there now............almost time to look for my next build :)

30.jpg  31.jpg X 33.jpg

35.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg 41.jpg 42.jpg 43.jpg

For some reason, the bombs, which were spayed at the same time and looked the same, no longer look the same. They have been sat in the box since the start of November (not glossed?) so not sure what has gone on there. Guess I'll have to redo them.

36.jpg

Anyways, now time for a Flory wash and then she'll be all done........................comments and suggestions welcome as always.

45.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing this, stupid things like work and family get in the way :)

Resprayed the drop tanks (Alclad Airframe Aluminium - ALC 119), finished the weathering (Flory - black & dark dirt) then sealed with Alclad (Klear Kote Gloss - ALC310) .

Overall, a nice kit to build, no major issues with fit or assembly, would give it a 👍 if asked.

Enjoy......comments and critique as always welcome.

47.jpg

48.jpg 49.jpg 50.jpg 51.jpg 52.jpg 53.jpg 54.jpg 55.jpg 56.jpg

• Like 2