Revell acrylic equivalent for olive drab

Sturmovik

Does someone know a good match for olive drab in the Revell line of paints?

Searching for "olive drab revell" gives me Revell Olive Green as the first result, but maybe you guys had another recommendation.

Edited by Sturmovik

So I could choose to use Revell 46 NATO brown and still be accurate? Or should the colour be greener?

Because I'd really like to have my first US aircraft to have the greenish colour I see on other models.

I'm still open to suggestions!

Edited by Sturmovik

There is no such thing as a single accurate match for WW2 Olive Drab 41 in general service. It was made to different recipes by different manufacturers, and was quite sensitive to exposure to ultra-violet.

If you have a good colour photo which you trust for a specific airframe you are modelling, then mix something which matches it. If you want to match to someone else's model, then you'll need to ask that modeller what they used.

There have been multiple threads on this in the past which you may find interesting e.g.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/142307.aspx

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 1

@Work In Progress thank you for the very informative threads, I can now thin things a bit more,

1) I should use RAF dark green after 1943 (Revell 68).

2) I could buy Revell 66 Olive Grey, since one chart I found shows it with a similar shade to that of the paint's lid (and it's also marked as an equivalent for Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab: http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/paint_conversion.php/manufacturers_id/12/page/2)

3) I could also use Revell 46 Nato Brown. 4) Or Revell 61 Olive Green for US aircraft during Pearl Harbor.

Is this more or less right?

They can all be right, or just mix something up. The idea of "right" is not really helpful for OD41. It all depends what you;re modelling, at what stage in its life, and whether you have good references.

As far as I'm concerned the lesson from two photos in this post from one of those old threads I linked is this: Unless you have a specific airframe with good colour references, you can do more or less whatever you like providing it's somewhere between in a range roughly between dark green and dark earth.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think about this colour comparison? Is the Revell colour a green light, or should I resign and use a browner looking colour?

Revell 66 (marked on Scalemates as olive drab)

43664889300_6174a1cc52_z.jpg

Olive Drab 613 from Model Master.

31608195458_0f7baffffb_z.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik

I don;t know how to keep saying this but there is no right answer to your question. For wartime Olive Drab 41 it doesn't matter which of those you choose, unless you're trying to match an existing relic or a colour photograph which you somehow know to be unfiltered and perfectly balanced and reproduced. They are all equally valid choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your last photo with samples from different paint ranges shows the variety of interpretations of OD & to my mind makes a good starting point. No collection with the same shade for OD on each model that uses OD can be correct, you want a range of shades, as in that last photo you posted.

Steve.