This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

AdriaN (MLT)

Airbrushing=Painful & tired fingers

Posted (edited)

Does anyone struggle with tired aching fingers when airbrushing for a long period?
Or do you get pain in the points which were pressing against the airbrush? like the front of your finger or thumb. Recently after spraying sessions, i get a tingling sensation in my thumb, because the bone joint is always pressing against the airbrush. and it lasts a few hours. I am left handed and i use a bottom feed airbrush.

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

Posted (edited)

Hi,  It sounds like you need to look for a different airbrush.

The sparmax Gp-35 is a  gravity fed trigger airbrush and is very comfortable to hold ( I am also left handed).  Will do area coverage down for about 2mm lines.

Sparmax GP-35  

Price is £90

Paul

Edited by little-cars

Change to a trigger type brush, they are much more comfortable to use. You won't have aching hands and fingers then..

13 hours ago, little-cars said:

Hi,  It sounds like you need to look for a different airbrush.

The sparmax Gp-35 is a  gravity fed trigger airbrush and is very comfortable to hold ( I am also left handed).  Will do area coverage down for about 2mm lines.

Sparmax GP-35  

Price is £90

Paul

Looks very comfy!
I always thought that these are for large area spraying, not 'scale' modeling.
The thing that puts me off on the Sparmax is... the cup is on the SIDE and has to screw in and out. I once had an airbrush like that. Paint would leak out of the thread area and if I screwed it on tightly.. it would settle in a lying down position. If I loosened it then paint would trickle out of the thread.

Perhaps your just gripping the airbrush too hard, when I first started this was happening to me, you grip the thing so firm and press down on the air/paint trigger so hard after a while your hand locks.

I now  try to just let the brush sit in my hand and gently press down on the trigger.

Mines a gravity feed, I notice you said bottom feed, whats the size of the cup and how heavy is the airbrush, I never got on with the bottom feed airbrushes (Badger type)as the weight with the paint jar fixed underneath always felt bulky to me

I have trigger and push control double action airbrushes, I find the push ones better for fine detail painting camo etc and the trigger ones for general coverage myself

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, colin said:

Perhaps your just gripping the airbrush too hard, when I first started this was happening to me, you grip the thing so firm and press down on the air/paint trigger so hard after a while your hand locks.

I now  try to just let the brush sit in my hand and gently press down on the trigger.

Mines a gravity feed, I notice you said bottom feed, whats the size of the cup and how heavy is the airbrush, I never got on with the bottom feed airbrushes (Badger type)as the weight with the paint jar fixed underneath always felt bulky to me

I have trigger and push control double action airbrushes, I find the push ones better for fine detail painting camo etc and the trigger ones for general coverage myself

I have the Badger 'imitation airbrush'... the Fengda BD-128. I use the metal cup. I think its 5cc.
Ive never had problems with bottom feed. But it think the fact that the cup comes under the airbrush, right where you hold it from.. is a big problem!
In fact i'm waiting for my gravity feed airbrush from china (hope it arrives, one day!!)
Yes i think i do hold it a bit too tight, especially when i press the trigger and move it back and forward! Its a bit like when you write too long essays.. the part of the pen that touches your fingers really begin to hurt.

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

On 10/2/2018 at 12:21 PM, AdriaN (MLT) said:

Looks very comfy!
The thing that puts me off on the Sparmax is... the cup is on the SIDE and has to screw in and out. I once had an airbrush like that. Paint would leak out of the thread area and if I screwed it on tightly.. it would settle in a lying down position. If I loosened it then paint would trickle out of the thread.

Not had that problem with the connection, the O ring seals the cup to the brush body with the GP-35 brush. 

What make was the brush  you had the problem with ?  If it was a cheap chinese one, then  I wouldn't be surprised if it leaked.

Paul

On 10/2/2018 at 12:21 PM, AdriaN (MLT) said:

Looks very comfy!

Not had that problem with the GP-35.  There is an O ring that stops any paint leaking out.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, little-cars said:

Not had that problem with the connection, the O ring seals the cup to the brush body with the GP-35 brush. 

What make was the brush  you had the problem with ?  If it was a cheap chinese one, then  I wouldn't be surprised if it leaked.

Paul

I had a cheap-o... BD132-something! Stopped working because I dropped it & bent needle. 😁

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, little-cars said:

Not had that problem with the GP-35.  There is an O ring that stops any paint leaking out.

I guess you are right about it being a cheap one. Even so, when you unscrew the side cup, paint does leak out of both airbrush and cup.
Currently using a gravity feed, where the cup is part of the airbrush, non removable... and im loving it. so easy to clean!!

On 10/2/2018 at 6:21 AM, AdriaN (MLT) said:

Paint would leak out of the thread area and if I screwed it on tightly.. it would settle in a lying down position. If I loosened it then paint would trickle out of the thread.

You could always use teflon thread tape ? Its about $1 for several yards on a spool here in the states. Available at any hardware/home improvement center.