mackem01

I've noticed alot of you use this, I personally have not but I'd like to give it a go. I'm familiar with the general idea but is there a ratio of plastic to solvent? What are your

preferred methods of making it up? How long will it keep? Any advice appreciated.

I made some from left over spue a while ago but gave up on it as it stayed soft after applying for what seemed forever.I have however made some using chopped up plastic sheet that you can buy for building/adding extra detail to models, that was a lot better.

I just kept adding the chopped up bits to a jar of Revell liquid poly until I had the right consistency, it will tend to thicken up over time but adding more liquid poly and mixing up brings it back to life

I have a bottle of goop that is comprised of bits of sprue and plastic card in varying, random quantities, dissolve in a mixture of Humbrol Liquid Poly and Plastic Magic. I tend to use it on areas which are likely to be rescribed, as once it has fully cured,  it scribes nicely without "chunking". I go for as thick a mixture as I can get away with.

I tend to use it in small amounts and let it cure for a couple of days before scribing, although I find that I can usually sand it after 24 hours.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been highly recommended to create some sprue goo using Tamiya Extra Thin with Tamiya grey sprue. People using this mix are very happy with it.

Currently I'm using Tamiya Extra Thin with cut up plasticard but it is slow to dry but very useful all the same.

Tried Humbrol Liquid Poly with any old sprue but not impressed.

P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just remembered: I ended up putting quite a lot of Hasegawa sprue into the mixture, as it made the mixture dry a bit harder, making for cleaner scribing.

I used the goop mixture on an Airfix Lightning last week and it worked brilliantly on the seams, especially the bits where I had to rescribe panel lines. You just have to be patient and let it cure properly.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 10:30 PM, PDH said:

I've been highly recommended to create some sprue goo using Tamiya Extra Thin with Tamiya grey sprue. People using this mix are very happy with it. 

Has anyone told you the recipe? I just bought two bottles of extra thin, so sacrifing one bottle is no big deal. The do wonder how long the goo lasts in the bottle? And how is the goo applied?

Seems to make better sense to make seams with the same product the kit is made from. I need to try this out, but need an accurate formula to start with.

Thanks in advance guys, this will be a big help.

Anthony

EDIT. Just had an idea to make the sprue melt faster. Use either small drill bits to punch holes in some sprue, the shavings from the drill bit would make excellent additives to the glue, dissolving rapidly. Maybe even using a knife to scrape off the plastic in fine shavings?

Edited by Stalker6Recon
Forgot the last part of my comment.

There is no formula, depends on how thick you want the Goo. More sprue makes it thicker, more TET thins it. I try for the consistency of double cream.

You'll find the sprue melts pretty quickly if you put small pieces in the TET.

Applied using the TET brush as supplied in the bottle.

Experiment till you find what suits you.

P