Vickers Wellesley Mk. I LRDU - Valom 1/72

CedB

On 07/11/2018 at 02:22, Cookenbacher said:

The pilot really does add a lot of life to the build, especially posed as he is.

Thanks Cookie! :) 

On 07/11/2018 at 06:00, Biggles87 said:

I expect that the  aerial would need to be looong on a long range aeroplane. Sorry:coat::chair:

:rofl:Thanks John

On 07/11/2018 at 09:06, perdu said:

Ohhhh dear

:shocked:

I know... adds to the entertainment though eh? :) 

On 07/11/2018 at 10:24, Courageous said:

You shouldn't have to ask that. He has the worlds stock of pilots and he has his own 'clone' air force too!

Stuart

You're right Stuart... in fact, when I got my 'crew box' out I realised I had quite a few to paint so started... and then ran out of mojo. I finished the one for this, but others are 'in progress':

31958066398_d41c52806f_z.jpg

I also have another admission. Remember these?

30888225797_1db97a4084_z.jpg

I'd used the 'pooled Klear' method and, on these transfers, it failed. They silvered a bit.

I know, gloss the whole model. Needs to be glossy. No bumps. Got it.

I did cover them in DulCoat and it's hidden the silvering but, from some angles, you can see the difference in the finish:

44914798415_47c4066b14_z.jpg

I'll give it another coat of matt and keep my fingers crossed.

• Like 8
  • Sad 6

Yes Ced, I think a coat of varnish should solve that.  The poor little pilots look smart but they remind me always somewhat of a documentary I've seen about Vlad III (Dracula). May I call you Ced III by now?:unsure::whistle:

Cheers

Ps: Two: One gloss and another satin or dull ; which you like more is your choice.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Hang it from the ceiling.....

That's quite a pilot tree you have growing there!

Ian

Thanks Ian - good plan! I had thought of that (and taking photos from a suitable angle - cheat) but I just couldn't do it :) 

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yes Ced, I think a coat of varnish should solve that.  The poor little pilots look smart but they remind me always somewhat of a documentary I've seen about Vlad III (Dracula). May I call you Ced III by now?:unsure::whistle:

Cheers

Ps: Two: One gloss and another satin or dull ; which you like more is your choice.

Thanks Ben - you're right (see below) :) 

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking mighty fine Ced.  

Great work fella.  

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris :) 

The matt coat worked fine:

45832068751_46e3dde5c7_z.jpg

Flickr

Same angle as the 'bad' photo so no cheating.

I need to frame the canopy now - out with the blades:

45782940332_6ecbe52148_z.jpg

Then the tricky bit - separating the really thin film from the backing:

45832149591_01846afaa5_z.jpg

Always, yes ALWAYS, check that you're painting the right side. I am an idiot. I'll sleep on this tonight:

45832171281_f63563c33c_z.jpg

I may just cheat and paint the frame with acrylic - it's pretty well deliminated :hmmm: 

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

Incredible difference with that matt coat on the footsteps Ced - well done!

(Otherwise you were looking at having to use-up your entire pilot collection on those footsteps steps to reproduce that well-known  Busby Berkeley scene from the The Great Wellesley Wing Walk Sensation of 1933....)

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'll sleep on this tonight:

isn't it a bit small ?

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Always, yes ALWAYS, check that you're painting the right side.

I've never done that !   :rofl2:

Honest!!!!

Nice save on the footprints though.  It's looking particularly splendid in its latest guise

Edited by hendie
  • Thanks 1

Greta save on those footprints, Ced! :clap:

As for the painted tape, you should tell us the truth: you're doing a bit like Penelope, aren't you? Just to keep the fun going for us .... :winkgrin: :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 1

Looking good Ced, though a bit of a scare with the foot prints, it was a similar scare that lead me to always glossing pretty much all over, though in my case, another matt coat didn't save it. I'm wondering if yours was more a texture thing than real silvering. Either ways, its looking a treat.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Incredible difference with that matt coat on the footsteps Ced - well done!

(Otherwise you were looking at having to use-up your entire pilot collection on those footsteps steps to reproduce that well-known  Busby Berkeley scene from the The Great Wellesley Wing Walk Sensation of 1933....)

Thanks Tony :rofl:

20 hours ago, hendie said:

isn't it a bit small ?

I've never done that !   :rofl2:

Honest!!!!

Nice save on the footprints though.  It's looking particularly splendid in its latest guise

Thanks Hendie - I meant sleep on the… oh forget it :)

It is big though. Well, actually WIDE to be more accurate. 

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Greta save on those footprints, Ced! :clap:

As for the painted tape, you should tell us the truth: you're doing a bit like Penelope, aren't you? Just to keep the fun going for us .... :winkgrin: :rofl:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) "…a bit like Penelope"? I don't know that one - please educate me!

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice to meet you Ced on Saturday albeit briefly, nice to put names to faces.

[snip picture]

Miles better.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - good to meet you too :) 

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice save on the footprints! You could run strips of tape next to the canopy frames and paint them horizontals followed by verticals to save on complicated masking.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, good tip (see below) :) 

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good Ced, though a bit of a scare with the foot prints, it was a similar scare that lead me to always glossing pretty much all over, though in my case, another matt coat didn't save it. I'm wondering if yours was more a texture thing than real silvering. Either ways, its looking a treat.

Steve.

Thanks Steve :) Might be texture and/or the transfers that creased quite quickly, but gloss all over for me from now on!

You know those well defined frames?

45832171281_f63563c33c_z.jpg

Did I manage THAT well on my second plunge mould? Of course not. That's the kit part. I am an idiot. 

When I realised my error I found my version, cut strips of newly painted Filmoplast and stuck them on:

44030962880_fd2dd06e7b_z.jpg

You'll notice I've also stuck on the prop and rigged the aerial. Not my best work (it's a bit bendy) but at least the dangly bit actually goes in the back of the radio.

44934597075_227079349c_z.jpg

Smug.

I'm calling this done now and will post an RFI as soon as I sort out the light box:

45847392901_f4e6ac2d06_z.jpg

In case you haven't seen it, that box of parts is the next build, a Nimrod over here. Come on over, it'll be good to see you :) 

Thanks as always for all your help, support and companionship during this one. Really appreciated.

• Like 16

17 hours ago, CedB said:

…a bit like Penelope"? I don't know that one - please educate me!

...eerr... from  Omero's Odyssey .... Penelope un-doing at night the weaving job she was doing during the day, to avoid wedding with an unwanted suitor (wedding was supposed to take place when the weaving job was completed),  while her husband (Ulysses) was away and believed dead ...

Anyway, great job in completing this, looking forward to the RFI :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Simon and Johnny, kind of you; see you at the Nimrod! :) 

40 minutes ago, giemme said:

...eerr... from  Omero's Odyssey .... Penelope un-doing at night the weaving job she was doing during the day, to avoid wedding with an unwanted suitor (wedding was supposed to take place when the weaving job was completed),  while her husband (Ulysses) was away and believed dead ...

Anyway, great job in completing this, looking forward to the RFI :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - a great analogy and one I'll (try to) remember :) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Superb job Mr B.

With a wingspan like that, the service ceiling must have been good. The Canberra of it's day perhaps.

John

Thanks John - wide indeed! Good practice for the…

19 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nicely finished, bring forth the Nimrod!

Ian

It shall be done (already started here)

On 11/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, giemme said:

Glad Ced asked, I didn't have a clue either....!! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1