Vickers Wellesley Mk. I LRDU - Valom 1/72

CedB

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Keith - see advice to john above?

I've got two 'proper' hot air guns somewhere Ced (second one bought to replace the first I thought I'd lost!) but the garage is in such a state it'd take me weeks to find them! I must say I was really pleased in how easily the gas ring heated the plastic - it was much quicker and I found it was easier to hold the plastic above it - I felt I needed three hands trying to use the hot air gun!

It was the first time I'd used PET-G plastic as Giorgio recommends above, and once I'd got heating it up right I found it does mould very well. 

I used to heat the plastic over a candle - dunno how I ever made that work!

K

Edit - I missed the pic of Black Beauty - lovely job!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just caught up here Ced, very nice canopy work on the re-mould, and a lovely coat of primer there. As for galavanting around with the local constabulary, that sounds fun!

Terry

• Like 1

Hello Ced, off topic of course :offtopic:, but I just came across this by fb and I wanted to share this with you as you built a  Dam Buster a while ago, when I came to bm. Not often seen. Usually it (Stockumer Damm) looks like this in summer:

1024px-M%C3%B6hnesee_Stockumer_Damm_FFSN

This should be late autumn, I think:

432080.jpg

.. and this year mid Oct.:

44606609_2294183673942374_54528785089277

The original river bed of the Möhne there.

44422181_2294183500609058_74109874667750

And some old relicts:

44559382_2294184283942313_53138308196204

44450364_2294183097275765_62197346031171

Never seen that in that natural way.  I guess, I will go there to look at that on All saint's day, when I'm there again.

Haha and no need to bomb that again at the moment, I believe. No success guaranteed. Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 5

I'm working on the same kit, different version "African Campaign" , you did nice job. This kit need a lot of pertinence and paddy 😁, specially on wing fuselage joining point. 

ETsvZLx.jpg

• Like 3

Loving your work Ced. I didn’t realise you used a heat gun. I have one of those. 🤔

I might have to find an excuse to have a go at this plunge stuff. The police chase sounds a bit exciting too. Man of action eh. 👮‍♂️

johnny.

ps. She looks great in primer by the way. 🕶️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Catching baddies and molding canopies: Ced for parliament indeed!

Yes, I think so . Brexit would be retooled by him with more new tools, if he thinks so.  Oh, I won't go political here, as I'm  a fool on that at all  and I'm very proud of that and happy with it.  Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, CedB said:

26 she is - yes, the Police are looking younger by the day. 

Lawks! Only one year older than my youngest.  I withdraw my previous comment!

good work on the canopy.

AW

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

good work on the canopy.

AW

Well I'm thirty-five and I need the citizenship, stand aside!

• Haha 5

On 22/10/2018 at 15:47, giemme said:

:wow: Super smooth in her black primer! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - I love Stynylrez! :) I think that'll do for the black underside too (lazy).

On 22/10/2018 at 16:16, bbudde said:

As above, yep.

Thanks Ben, and for the pictures of the reservoirs. I hope you get some rain soon to top them up - just not in storms! :) 

On 22/10/2018 at 16:20, dogsbody said:

That's a nice looking vise you've got there, Ced. I have something similar that I bought at a hardware store 20+ years ago. I epoxied a couple strips of some black rubber gasket material to the jaw plates so I can firmly grip styrene without damaging the plastic.

Chris

Thanks Chris - my vice came with removable rubber jaws so I'm set :) 

On 22/10/2018 at 16:23, keefr22 said:

I've got two 'proper' hot air guns somewhere Ced (second one bought to replace the first I thought I'd lost!) but the garage is in such a state it'd take me weeks to find them! I must say I was really pleased in how easily the gas ring heated the plastic - it was much quicker and I found it was easier to hold the plastic above it - I felt I needed three hands trying to use the hot air gun!

It was the first time I'd used PET-G plastic as Giorgio recommends above, and once I'd got heating it up right I found it does mould very well. 

I used to heat the plastic over a candle - dunno how I ever made that work!

K

Edit - I missed the pic of Black Beauty - lovely job!

Thanks Keith - I've been collecting packaging for a while but perhaps I should get some PET-G for larger jobs :) 

On 22/10/2018 at 16:26, Spookytooth said:

Looking very nice and smooth in Black Ced.

The plane that is.....

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

On 22/10/2018 at 16:35, Terry1954 said:

Just caught up here Ced, very nice canopy work on the re-mould, and a lovely coat of primer there. As for galavanting around with the local constabulary, that sounds fun!

Terry

Thanks Terry :) The molding was surprisingly easy once I got the idea.

On 22/10/2018 at 20:42, Courageous said:

She's looking rather nice with the black primer on her. Good show with the vac canopy procedure. Never done any plunge molding myself but you've made it look easy.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - it was easy(ish); give it a try! :) 

On 22/10/2018 at 22:35, Franz75 said:

I'm working on the same kit, different version "African Campaign" , you did nice job. This kit need a lot of pertinence and paddy 😁, specially on wing fuselage joining point. 

Hi Franz :) Valom always need some care and attention but they are worth the effort IMHO. Good luck on yours.

On 22/10/2018 at 22:49, The Spadgent said:

Loving your work Ced. I didn’t realise you used a heat gun. I have one of those. 🤔

I might have to find an excuse to have a go at this plunge stuff. The police chase sounds a bit exciting too. Man of action eh. 👮‍♂️

johnny.

ps. She looks great in primer by the way. 🕶️

Thanks Johnny - try it! If I can do it I KNOW you can :) 

On 22/10/2018 at 23:00, Navy Bird said:

Ced's got all the cool tools. I'm so jealous...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill :D 

On 23/10/2018 at 00:30, Cookenbacher said:

Catching baddies and molding canopies: Ced for parliament indeed!

Thanks Cookie - I think I'll stay away from the madness! :D 

On 23/10/2018 at 01:36, bbudde said:

Yes, I think so . Brexit would be retooled by him with more new tools, if he thinks so.  Oh, I won't go political here, as I'm  a fool on that at all  and I'm very proud of that and happy with it.  Cheers

No! Not the 'B word'! We're all a bit fed up with it now I think… 

On 23/10/2018 at 01:49, Andwil said:

good work on the canopy.

AW

Thanks Andwil: four or five years younger than my two! :) 

On 23/10/2018 at 03:13, Procopius said:

Well I'm thirty-five and I need the citizenship, stand aside!

Now now PC, you're a married man! :D 

What's this? No modelling for the week? Nah, just low mojo and a bit of a feverish feeling.

Oh, and another trip to participate in the Autonomous Vehicle research, trundling around in a pod this time. Nothing exciting to report I'm afraid.

I have been painting some crew and, today, finally got some masking mojo so I could do this:

45520469172_e9d13e2f87_z.jpg

Flickr

Progress!

• Like 22

Thanks PC, Stuart and Hendie :) 

For the camo masking I decided to go (for me) old school and use the scaled and printed paper template method as, despite the lovely Portrait cutter, I have a big can of 3M Re-mount I don't want to waste. Bad decision. The Wellesley may be single engined but the wings don't fit on a piece of A4 paper without lots of software manipulation. Ho hum.

That done it was out with the Panzer Putty to go over the fuselage and then on with the DG:

44857363704_c0720e8cbe_z.jpg

Flickr

I don't like leaving the putty on for long as it does droop so off it came:

30641123967_3925554a2b_z.jpg

Happy with that, except for the tip of the starboard wing where I obviously didn't go enough:

44857450954_7833b091ab_z.jpg

Soon touch up with some thinned paint. I'll let that dry overnight.

• Like 20

Yep as above!!! Very nice! With some minor glitches, but you will tame that little beast. Good to see your mojo has returned a bit. So please don't hurry about the next one. Otherwise it will be gone soon by the next little mishap on that. Ok that sounds somewhat German, but how do I know. Cheers.

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What they all said Ced! I've never liked the detail of the geodetic structure when looking at the bare plastic in the box, but it looks heaps better under some nice paint! I've got mine down to sell at Telford, but I'm not so sure now!

Keith

• Thanks 1