Vickers Wellesley Mk. I LRDU - Valom 1/72

CedB

I find it impossible to keep up with Flipper's output these days (Are we really calling Ced that now? After the unfortunate fall, slipper might be more appropriate? Sorry mate, couldn't resist.)

Hope the wounds, both pride and physical, heal swiftly, and enjoying your progress on this antediluvian monstrosity sir.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 05/10/2018 at 16:41, CedB said:

Mrs B read that today was the day to clean out the nesting box so I obediently climbed up to the tree, took down the box and then slipped down the bank onto the stone steps grazing several parts of my anatomy. I'm now feeling sorry for myself and not able to type that well so a short update.

Sorry Ced, had to be done 😉

Edited by charlie_c67
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Courageous said:

I'd get yourself a bench...:rofl:

Stuart

Ah, thanks Stuart; working on the floor - that's what I'm doing wrong! :rofl2:

18 hours ago, Leonl said:

I'm here before he's closed up the fuselage, by recent standards that's a result!

Nice progress Mr B...

Thanks Leon and welcome! :) 

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Just caught up too, Ced, it's looking great.

Thanks Cookie and welcome :) 

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m liking that big fat sanding stick. Mmmmmm more tools. 😎

I would get one John - but then I would! :D Their new 'dual sander' sticks are very good IMHO, designed to remove nubs and polish in one tool, video and store here. I'm getting on with them really well. They last really well too - you can just wipe them off on your trousers a handy cloth.

14 hours ago, 06/24 said:

I find it impossible to keep up with Flipper's output these days (Are we really calling Ced that now? After the unfortunate fall, slipper might be more appropriate? Sorry mate, couldn't resist.)

Hope the wounds, both pride and physical, heal swiftly, and enjoying your progress on this antediluvian monstrosity sir.

Thanks Jon :) Nope, not calling me Flipper as I can't work out how to spell cheechurrticytictic or whatever noise it is that Dolphins make.

9 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Sorry Ced, had to be done 😉

Thanks Charlie :D Chumbawumba eh? Ain't never gonna keep ME down…

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I would have given the video a like but I can't see it, there's a message saying it's been blocked on copyright grounds!

Hope you're now fulle recovered.

John

Thanks John :) Copyright eh? Cuh! If only there was a way to watch any video, anywhere, we could all spend our time laughing at cats. YouTube seems to think I'm interested in aircraft (correct) and videos of 'bad driver karma'. As if…

5 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Truly, what does one say to a man with the biggest sanding stick in the universe?

Er, 'Hello big boy'? No, maybe not… :D 

Thanks for all your good wishes and pleased to report all soreness and stiffness has now gone. No, you can't pick my scabs… if you do that it'll never get better.

The floor finally fits. Had to chisel off most of the frame on one side and sand off

more of the floor. Got there in the end. Not exactly brain surgery is it?

Classic punchline and expertly delivered! Saw that on 'My Favourite Sketch' - great programme, but sadly on 'Gold' so I'm not sure how widely available it is? Subscription channels only? Ooo, ooo, they're repeating 'Bob Monkhouse: The Million Joke Man'! Bob's a bit 'Marmite' I know, but he's one of my favourites. Some of his best jokes on the website, including:

• "Everybody laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well they're not laughing now."

• "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers."

• "I tend to sleep in the nude. Which isn't a bad thing except for maybe on those long flights."

• One of my favourites, not on the web. "I'm quite adventurous with my marital relations, oh yes. I have a mirror in my bedroom. I hold it over her mouth to check she's still breathing"

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, the model. Final shots of the internals:

45217999701_b6847bcfb3_z.jpg

31344443458_957461d76c_z.jpg

While that was drying I started on the other likely pain, the wheel bay doors:

45217977591_a22811801d_z.jpg

Not bad with some careful filing, trimming and sanding. More later.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Internals looking really proper, Ced! :clap: 

22 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Truly, what does one say to a man with the biggest sanding stick in the universe?

Only one word: cool! :rofl: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Internals looking really proper, Ced! :clap: 

Only one word: cool! :rofl: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :coolio:

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Edging towards a Wellesley Ced, very nice progress.

Terry

Thanks Terry :) 

Closed up:

44309275105_9e622202c6_z.jpg

Both wheel bays closed too:

31346684728_9a2d9e1fcb_n.jpg 44498054784_226cf1f128_n.jpg

Flickr

Pretty good. Until you look at the bumps on the outer doors. Not sure they're right, but they fit and (now that I've ripped one out and put it in the other way) consistent!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Not sure they're right,

I tend to agree but I wouldn't know if they were right or wrong.

4 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Looks good. I’ve probably asked before but where did you get the nifty clamps?

I was just thinking the same thing.

Stuart

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Looks good. I’ve probably asked before but where did you get the nifty clamps?

Thanks Jon :) These or these? The Berna clamps are my favourite - they go from 'hold' to 'clamp' depending on how hard you squeeze the jaws together. To be honest the forceps aren't as useful as I thought they'd be,

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

I tend to agree but I wouldn't know if they were right or wrong.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Stuart

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Ced, 

FWIW here and here are two pictures that tend to confirm your bulges on wheel doors. It's interesting to see the differences between Valom and Matchbox takes on these two.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Stuart and Adrian :) It's the bumps on the small doors that I was worried about but Adrian's first link shows they're right (if you zoom in)! Well done Valom…

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work on the innards Mr B and thanks for the Bob gags. Actually laughed out loud. 😂 He’s sadly missed.

John

Thanks John :) Bob was a lovely man and, as you say, sadly missed.

50 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Lovely work, Ced, and also thanks for the Bob Monkhouse lines. I never appreciated how good he was until after he died; until then he'd always been the slick host of gameshows and, of course, Johnny Saveloy in Rex the Runt.

Thanks Chris :) He was known later for the game shows but his early work in the Carry On films was a start. He was actually quite blue in live shows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having fitted the doors successfully I glued the wing halves together, not bothering to include the internals but making sure that the wing roots lined up - they're angled and a butt join:

45239715311_8f22aaf69c_z.jpg

Flickr

Checking the instructions I realised I'd missed the divider 'roof' on the cockpit. It was much too big and needed trimming, making sure that the rear canopy part would fit over the top:

30300724837_89819db982_z.jpg

The seam's had it's sanding too - need to check but hopefully it's OK(ish).

We had a tour around the BBC Bristol studios yesterday - interesting! I knew that it's the "World Centre" for nature filming (Blue Planet etc) but hadn't realised that Antiques Roadshow and Countryfile was also based there, as well as DIY SOS and a few other 'day time' programmes. Great nostalgia around 'Animal Magic' and Morph from 'Take Hart'. Ah, nostalgia's not what it used to be…

• Like 14

Look peeps, it is not panto season yet!!!!!

Nice work on the office Ced my dear chap.

And the U/C doors, once you got them the  right way up so to speak.

Progressing very well sir.

Simon.

Pass us another sausage roll please.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1