Vickers Wellesley Mk. I LRDU - Valom 1/72

CedB

A lot of my early Chipmunk flying with the ATC was done wearing an oxygen mask which didn't bother me at all, but the dentist's mask, as Keith says Aaaaargh take it away.

Comng along nicely now, apart from the PE. I think there must be something in the manufacturing process which stretches it because it's almost the norm for the PE to be larger than the plastic it's supposed to fit on, very annoying.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

A lot of my early Chipmunk flying with the ATC was done wearing an oxygen mask which didn't bother me at all

Same with all my Bulldog flying, and the respirator I use for paint spraying now. There was just something specifically horrible about the dentist's one! 

K

• Like 1

On 04/10/2018 at 12:03, Beard said:

Regarding the interior colours, have you read this?

Thanks Simon - great link. Too late for me though, I've 'interpreted' the B&W photos and done the grey frame :) 

On 04/10/2018 at 12:07, Courageous said:

Repeat this over and over.:whip:

You've just come back from the bloomin' dentist! :nono:

Ced's new nickname...Flipper :rofl:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :D 

On 04/10/2018 at 13:18, general melchett said:

Try doing it after a full anaesthetic......claret all over the gaff!

Good grief, I have exactly the same reaction when someone decides to squirt water into my single malt...

Thanks General :D 

On 04/10/2018 at 15:13, keefr22 said:

Arggghhh, now you've done it - I just can't forget the smell of that awful mask as it was held down on my face - I can smell it now. Aaaaarrrrggghhhh take it away, take it away, take it aw.......:sleeping: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

A lot of my early Chipmunk flying with the ATC was done wearing an oxygen mask which didn't bother me at all, but the dentist's mask, as Keith says Aaaaargh take it away.

Comng along nicely now, apart from the PE. I think there must be something in the manufacturing process which stretches it because it's almost the norm for the PE to be larger than the plastic it's supposed to fit on, very annoying.

John

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Same with all my Bulldog flying, and the respirator I use for paint spraying now. There was just something specifically horrible about the dentist's one! 

K

Thanks Keith and John - perhaps it's the smell of fear… :) 

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The dentist....

Simon.

Wow, what a video! Not for those who fear the Dentist, but I liked it :) 

Mrs B read that today was the day to clean out the nesting box so I obediently climbed up to the tree, took down the box and then slipped down the bank onto the stone steps grazing several parts of my anatomy. I'm now feeling sorry for myself and not able to type that well so a short update.

Ready for closure I think:

44397184574_ac513d9187_z.jpg

• Like 13
  • Sad 3

On 10/4/2018 at 3:13 PM, keefr22 said:

Arggghhh, now you've done it - I just can't forget the smell of that awful mask as it was held down on my face - I can smell it now. Aaaaarrrrggghhhh take it away, take it away, take it aw.......:sleeping: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't aware of there being a Rubber Dungeon in Swansea Keith.

Wales is full of surprises....

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Not for those who fear the Dentist, but I liked it

No way am I clicking play on that, I'm still having nightmares about the scene in 'Marathan Man'...!!

4 hours ago, CedB said:

took down the box and then slipped down the bank onto the stone steps grazing several parts of my anatomy. I'm now feeling sorry for myself

I hope you got the box backup in the tree for the birds before feeling too sorry for yourself....!! :clown: Seriously, hope your grazes heal up soon and you can get the fuselage closed up.

Have to say I didn't realise there was a specified nesting box cleaning out day!

Keith

• Like 1

Welcome Ian and Johnny, nice to have you along :) 

Thanks Giorgio, Roger, Benedikt and Simon :) 

Thanks Tony and Keith - the box will be cleaned but NOT wearing a mask! :D 

Crisp I hope you get special dental care… but you've not made it clear if yours is one of the good ones! I'll assume yes…

As expected things are a bit sore, stiff and sensitive this morning (steady chaps) so little done. I did fit the windows with some GG (can we shorten Gator's Grip to that now?):

43319338760_29c71131f7_z.jpg

There's a raised frame on one side of the part so I made sure that was on the outside.

Note the high-tech pickup tool, suggested here on BM; BluTak on a stick (was it Giorgio?) Much better than the others I've used to be honest:

- the vacuum pen sucks (har har)

- the wax pencils leave a residue and

- the sticky sticks won't let go or, for the expensive 'pen' one, the end falls off.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

• Like 11

Dry fitting for close up. Hmmm. The instructions would have you mount the floor sort of under the frame, a bit like this:

45136239741_53e980b6f6_z.jpg

Flickr

…but then I don't think it will stay there on closing up:

31262598588_18c869f096_n.jpg 45136290311_8fda2673aa_n.jpg

Front and back cockpits there. Doesn't look as though the extra frame bits join up either. Hmmm.

I'd better stick the radio table on before I go much further:

45087476732_6da7684fec_z.jpg

I'm getting used to the quick setting TET. If you hold the parts together, apply the cement and press a little you can see the stuff flash off almost immediately and it grips quickly. Nice.

While the table was drying I fitted the cockpit floor and ran TET down one side:

45087489112_903df37d5f_z.jpg

That shows that you shouldn't take close up photos at this scale. Ahem. 

I hope the i/p fits - we shall see - but that's used up my patience for today.

• Like 19

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Note the high-tech pickup tool, suggested here on BM; BluTak on a stick (was it Giorgio?) 

I use that a lot, so it might likely have been me :coolio: 

Nice progress, despite of the injury :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

I use that a lot, so it might likely have been me :coolio: 

Nice progress, despite of the injury :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - I thought it was you, thanks for the tip :) 

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hm, I'm a bit surprised how much you can see, when closed. Can't remember on the Matchbox one, but mabye because of the fact there wasn't something to look at.

Thanks Ben :) I'm not sure how much will be visible when the canopies are on - we shall see.

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Aargh, the curse of macro mode. I take mine from 100m away with a telephoto lens. 😁

John

Thanks John :rofl2:

Little done today as last night we had a family get together and there was wine…

I did get the i/p in:

31284299338_39a97097db_z.jpg

I committed to the floor location, knowing that I'm going to have to shave something off to get the fuselage closed. Here's another awful close up:

44436342144_d8c1bf1815_z.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, CedB said:

and there was wine…

Ah, yes, there is always wine. I was close to first coating the Sedbergh last night, then there was wine............

Nice progress Ced.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Dash it all Ced I hadn't been paying attention to that mention of your fall to earth.

I do hope the old carcass is recovering from said descent in a painless fashion.

🤕

• Thanks 1

On 07/10/2018 at 17:27, Terry1954 said:

Ah, yes, there is always wine. I was close to first coating the Sedbergh last night, then there was wine............

Nice progress Ced.

Terry

Thanks Terry :) 

On 07/10/2018 at 21:33, The Spadgent said:

Ahhhhhhhh wine. What’s that like?🤣

Great work Mr B.  Don’t worry about the close ups, they look fine from here. 😌

John.

Thanks John :)  Always a compromise eh? More work for nice photos but not seen after close up so who'll know…

On 07/10/2018 at 22:09, TheBaron said:

Dash it all Ced I hadn't been paying attention to that mention of your fall to earth.

I do hope the old carcass is recovering from said descent in a painless fashion.

🤕

Thanks Tony - better today, stiffness gone and nicely scabby. Don't pick it or it'll never get better :D 

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

We don't bounce as well as we used to, do we! All the best for a swift recovery, I'm sure wine will help enormously!

Ian

Thanks Ian :D I don't bounce much at all nowadays… more squidge and wobble.

Yesterday was another trip to UWE, this time for a 'Flourish Project' session. Just a chat session really seeking views on what older people want from autonomous vehicles. Interesting, and there was cake so worth the trip.

I'm still working on the floor, a real mojo killer. I've chiselled away some of the frame:

31323446618_ac2e6b06a0_z.jpg

Flickr

… including a nick for the radio table. I also decided I had to remove the floor and sand some off that:

31323450568_00bf10709e_z.jpg

Used my new 'big flat sanding stick' purchased from Mr Flory himself for jobs like this. Have to say it is good at keeping things flat.

I still have a little way to go:

45197438381_fd0620d03a_z.jpg

(what has that focussed on?) when I get some more mojo.

• Like 11