Vickers Wellesley Mk. I LRDU - Valom 1/72

CedB

6 hours ago, 593jones said:

Got this one in the stash, so I'm in.  Fascinating aircraft, and love the way the bombs had to be carried in panniers  under the wings, no bomb bay on the Wellesley!

Welcome :) 

4 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Ced, that is a grand looking IP, nice job.

Thanks Chris :) 

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Evening all, I see that I am late but hey, I got the beer...

A plane I have yet to see built since being back in the hobby.

Mind if I watch Ced.

Simon.

Thanks Simon and welcome - bottle openers on the bar… :D 

3 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Wellington's brother! Cool!

Indeed! Or even its Father :) 

3 hours ago, HAMP man said:

I have been trading handbags with Valom's Hampden for about 9 months on and off, the CedB eration of this one will surely give me the kick up the a inspiration to finally wrestle it to the floor.

Could you all please mind the plaster casts as you sit down!

Box On

Strickers

Short run kits eh? Always a pain challenge :) 

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

There are some striking period shots over in the IWM archive Ced:

[snip pics]

Thanks Tony - great photos, and very timely; I'll be painting the internals tomorrow, hopefully :) 

1 hour ago, hendie said:

:thumbsup:

I'm heading out tomorrow at around 1 pm.  Any chance it'll be done by then?

Tomorrow your time or our time? :D 

58 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

😟 Shazbot .. Late again !!! Guess Im sitting at the Bar :drink:

Nice to see you Dennis :) 

These little rib things are a pain - hard to glue ON the rib and, of course, they're not quite the right shape:

43251224950_b85bd655db_z.jpg

Can't see them? Good. Two on each side, either side of the forward frame. The radio room is coming together:

45063370591_68b4614284_z.jpg

Some care needed as there's a 'shelf' on the bottom of the floor and the gates left lumps in it.

Ready for some paint.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Late again I'm afraid, but a chap has to sleep sometime y'know.

John

Not easy to keep up with Ced, you know - he's already going full speed! :frantic:

BTW, excellent IP, Ced :clap: :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Leave him for 5 minutes and he's off like a little toddler, we're heading for page three and he hasn't closed up yet. Either he's slow or their is a lot of 'yacking' going on.

I haven't long completed Valom's FJ-1 Fury, nice on detail but joining of parts was a PITA but that's modelling.

Oh yeah, good start Ced, looking good.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, philp said:

Ah, here is where everybody went.

Got tired of easy kits did you?

Thanks Phil - yep, time to do something more challenging :) 

9 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

I believe the two fuselages relate to which engine set up you plan on using. On with a longer cowl than the other if memory serves. Hope you selected the right one Ced!

Thanks Charlie :) You're right, of course. The Wiki entry has a diagram that clearly shows the different front end and mid 'turret' on the LRDU version.

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Late again I'm afraid, but a chap has to sleep sometime y'know.

John

Welcome John - hope you had a good kip :) 

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Not easy to keep up with Ced, you know - he's already going full speed! :frantic:

BTW, excellent IP, Ced :clap: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Leave him for 5 minutes and he's off like a little toddler, we're heading for page three and he hasn't closed up yet. Either he's slow or their is a lot of 'yacking' going on.

I haven't long completed Valom's FJ-1 Fury, nice on detail but joining of parts was a PITA but that's modelling.

Oh yeah, good start Ced, looking good.

Stuart

Toddler? Oi! (I think it's the yacking - good stuff though and I like it) :D 

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ooh, missed this.  Fab IWM shots; very narrow fuselage.  Lovely jubbly

Not missed much, welcome Crisp :) 

Mixed mojo this morning. Some chopping and glueing:

31199279448_4435e75595_z.jpg

Remembering to take care on the joins when you don't have locating pins. These will clean up nicely though I reckon:

31199286458_907029d135_z.jpg

The colour chart shows the internals as either H27 or Mr Hobby H333. Hmmm, sort of grey then:

30135356207_46cf4422ed_z.jpg

I need to decide what to do about the geodesic frames…

• Like 13

interesting.  I knew nothing about valom so just googled them - it appears they are bringing out a 1/48 BN Islander.  Nice range of subjects.

This Wellesley thing is a bit of a strange looking beast.  Sort of looks like it started off as a 2 ship formation but the guy in front wasn't flying quite fast enough.

• Haha 7

I agree; the rear guy was flying a Fairey Long Range Monoplane, and he ploughed into a Blackburn Skua!

Mind you, we’re in an era of weird-looking designs in the late-20s / early-30s. The Whitley looks as though someone put the wings on at the wrong angle (or it’s in a permanent power dive), the Hamden looks as though someone squeezed it too hard... and the first flight of the Wellesley was only 2 years after that of @general melchett‘s favourite, the legendary Overstrand

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great IWM pics there, maybe for super-detailing the inside that no one will see? 😁

Nice progress Ced. I agree with Stuart's suggested approach re the tabs à la vac form.

Yes there were some very weird designs around at that time.

Terry

• Like 1

I was alerted that my name had been mentioned in dispatches by FAAWAFU and needed to see exactly how much damage had been sustained...luckily none. and yes Crisp, I intend to lobby Valom for an Overstrand and Sidestrand with all my might!...though, not before we get a Virginia.....or a Hyderabad/Hinaidi, Victoria, Hamilton or Clive or...ad infinitum.

Great to see another Valom kit on someone's bench. I'm a big fan of their products and just about to start my fifth, must say I enjoy building them, great subjects, good details, especially for short-run kits and superb support, (I managed to ar*e up a wing roundel and Vaclav very kindly sent a replacement decal sheet gratis). I especially like the multiple versions made available.

The Wellesley is a strange old horse, very much designed by an alcoholic fuelled committee, still, it did the job, just.

Good start Ced, Stuart's right, tabs all the way...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

(I managed to ar*e up a wing roundel and Vaclav very kindly sent a replacement decal sheet gratis).

I had a similar issue when I was building the FJ-1, replacement set in the post, FoC...excellent. :yes:

Stuart

• Like 2

Recovered from the visit to the Dentist on Tuesday now and getting used to an 'adjusted bite'. I was surprised how much I used that side of my mouth for chewing - something I only noticed when I had to think about not doing it.

I think I may be over my 'fear' of Dentists now - didn't feel a thing. The Dentist said that people often have a memory from their childhood that makes them tense. Could be, but in those days we had gas and I remember nothing!

That said I still have problems with my Diving Reflex - as soon as some water hits the back of my mouth my throat closes up and I can't breathe. It says on that site that this is supposed to go away at the age of six months? Hmmm. Obviously I have a lot of Dolphin in me… 

23 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice progress Ced

Roger

Thanks Roger - plenty more to come! :) 

23 hours ago, Courageous said:

I've found that you treat these 'limited run' kits like vacforms; fix plastic tabs along fuselage join on one half, pin wings, tail planes and undercarriage...works for me :yes:.

Stuart

Good tips Stuart, thanks. I may think about doing that, but I am lazy… :) 

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I forgot to say that there is a couple of bottles of wine and a box of chocolates for Lady H. on the kitchen table.

Simon.

Awww thanks Simon :) That'll keep her going for a couple of weeks and I'll get the chocolates… she says they're 'fattening' apparently… a view I encourage!

22 hours ago, hendie said:

interesting.  I knew nothing about valom so just googled them - it appears they are bringing out a 1/48 BN Islander.  Nice range of subjects.

This Wellesley thing is a bit of a strange looking beast.  Sort of looks like it started off as a 2 ship formation but the guy in front wasn't flying quite fast enough.

Oooh Hendie, do have a long look. The do a very interesting range of unusual subjects (like the Airacuda, Bombay and Brigand I've done in the past) and the detail is great; you just have to be careful with the fit, in places.

21 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I agree; the rear guy was flying a Fairey Long Range Monoplane, and he ploughed into a Blackburn Skua!

Mind you, we’re in an era of weird-looking designs in the late-20s / early-30s. The Whitley looks as though someone put the wings on at the wrong angle (or it’s in a permanent power dive), the Hamden looks as though someone squeezed it too hard... and the first flight of the Wellesley was only 2 years after that of @general melchett‘s favourite, the legendary Overstrand

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great IWM pics there, maybe for super-detailing the inside that no one will see? 😁

Nice progress Ced. I agree with Stuart's suggested approach re the tabs à la vac form.

Yes there were some very weird designs around at that time.

Terry

True Crisp and Terry, very true. In those days (I think) there was still a great belief in bi-planes and it's thanks to aircraft like this that we don't have to rig everything! :) 

Thanks 

17 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

The two IWM pictures certainly do not depict a black interior.

You're right ej - 'some sort of grey'. But then they are monochrome photos so we're all guessing :) 

16 hours ago, general melchett said:

I was alerted that my name had been mentioned in dispatches by FAAWAFU and needed to see exactly how much damage had been sustained...luckily none. and yes Crisp, I intend to lobby Valom for an Overstrand and Sidestrand with all my might!...though, not before we get a Virginia.....or a Hyderabad/Hinaidi, Victoria, Hamilton or Clive or...ad infinitum.

Great to see another Valom kit on someone's bench. I'm a big fan of their products and just about to start my fifth, must say I enjoy building them, great subjects, good details, especially for short-run kits and superb support, (I managed to ar*e up a wing roundel and Vaclav very kindly sent a replacement decal sheet gratis). I especially like the multiple versions made available.

The Wellesley is a strange old horse, very much designed by an alcoholic fuelled committee, still, it did the job, just.

Good start Ced, Stuart's right, tabs all the way...

Aha, the General; atteenn...SHUN! I agree about Valom; great range, good detail and good customer service. If only they were a bit cheaper... but then we need to support them IMHO :) 

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

I had a similar issue when I was building the FJ-1, replacement set in the post, FoC...excellent. :yes:

Stuart

There you go - time to buy Valom chaps! (Do you think I'll get a free kit? I have the Buckmaster and Buckingham on my wish list…)

After all that praise, there are some 'issues'. Like the PE radios not fitting the plastic:

43279209850_413416ec0e_z.jpg

Looks good eh? But not from the back, or the others:

45092699391_09b52b0b96_n.jpg 31219203948_34d1831d1c_n.jpg

I may sort those out… even if they'll only be seen here after close up. Three more bits of PE and the internals are ready for attention:

31219211338_2e0c4ea89a_z.jpg

(If you're counting, the third bit is the pre-painted panel in the middle of the top half.)

So what about the frame?

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE 1939-1945: VICKERS WELLESLEY. © IWM (C 8) IWM Non Commercial License

Lighter grey?

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, CedB said:

treat these 'limited run' kits like vacforms

Repeat this over and over.:whip:

31 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'll get the chocolates

You've just come back from the bloomin' dentist! :nono:

Ced's new nickname...Flipper :rofl:

Stuart

• Haha 3

I was surprised how much I used that side of my mouth for chewing - something I only noticed when I had to think about not doing it.

Try doing it after a full anaesthetic......claret all over the gaff!

That said I still have problems with my Diving Reflex - as soon as some water hits the back of my mouth my throat closes up and I can't breathe.

Good grief, I have exactly the same reaction when someone decides to squirt water into my single malt...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, CedB said:

but in those days we had gas and I remember nothing!

Arggghhh, now you've done it - I just can't forget the smell of that awful mask as it was held down on my face - I can smell it now. Aaaaarrrrggghhhh take it away, take it away, take it aw.......:sleeping: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1