Douglas Boston Strafer ( A-20C ) 22 Squadron, RAAF

Howdy All,

Just finished my RAAF Boston Strafer that I was building alongside my recent RNZAF Dauntless you may remember

xdoie7X.jpg

Built from Italeri`s re-issue of AMT`s 1/48 Boston kit

Y8WrczP.jpg

Finished to try and represent one of the few A-20C`s used by 22 Squadron RAAF

0svk1xr.jpg

I was originally going to do it as an earlier one with the RAF style camouflage and four .303 guns in the nose, but when I came across a photo of a `C`....................

l5zMZDe.jpg

....with the less well known 5 X 0.5 guns, I had to give it a try

Pcnt4ko.jpg

I couldn`t find much info` or photo`s on Google ( I did find an old thread here on BM, but most of the photo`s are gone )

5Bazwhd.jpg

So it`s mostly my best shot at doing one ( I did find that they were from U.S. stocks and appear to be Olive Drab over Neutral Grey with the stars and bars painted out ) from one grainy in-flight photo of DU*W

6GHBGJF.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pic`s, thanks for looking.

Cheers Russ

• Like 60
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, colin said:

Another Russ classic 👏

What's the kit like to build, I hear it's not a Tamiya shake and bake

Thanks Colin, it`s not a bad kit to build. Pretty straight forward, the instructions tell you to fit the undercarriage legs to the wings and then build the nacelles around them, but you can do it the opposite way. It is fiddely though !! Lining the engines up is a bit vague, other than that nothing too taxing. I managed it, so it can`t be too bad.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Russ you keep coming up with so many fantastic models I'm running out of words to say. The paint work is particularly interesting on this one.

Thanks Greg, the paint work on the photo looks very worn out, with lots of patching up and wear. I believe it may have been, or had large areas,painted foliage green at some point later in it`s life.

Cheers Russ 

• 2 weeks later...

Great rendition of a RAAF A-20C in the proper OD/NG scheme not foliage green as some people think , just a couple of small points the wing roundels are too big for the A-20C's they had dropped to 36" in all 6 spots and the wing roundels are further out and the fin flash is too long, these A-20C's were left over from the P-70 program hence the 5 x .50 nose , and were in quite dilapidated condition when they got to 3AD at Amberley in Sept 43 they had long range tanks fitted (fwd bomb bay ), bomb racks ,the ADF antennas (at that time not fitted to the older DB-7B's) and the 7 x .50's they were not repainted but just had there US markings over painted and dispatched to 22 Sqn in Oct 43 .  I have quite a few pics of RAAF A-20C's but not for general distribution ,if you would like to see some drop me a pm.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

Great rendition of a RAAF A-20C in the proper OD/NG scheme not foliage green as some people think , just a couple of small points the wing roundels are too big for the A-20C's they had dropped to 36" in all 6 spots and the wing roundels are further out and the fin flash is too long, these A-20C's were left over from the P-70 program hence the 5 x .50 nose , and were in quite dilapidated condition when they got to 3AD at Amberley in Sept 43 they had long range tanks fitted (fwd bomb bay ), bomb racks ,the ADF antennas (at that time not fitted to the older DB-7B's) and the 7 x .50's they were not repainted but just had there US markings over painted and dispatched to 22 Sqn in Oct 43 .  I have quite a few pics of RAAF A-20C's but not for general distribution ,if you would like to see some drop me a pm.  

Thanks Syd`, the markings were the closest I had to hand, the fin flash is a bit tall and you can`t see the wing roundels on the photo so I figured that seeing as the more well known ones all had different size roundels over time ( one of each on one a/c ) so could this one have.

Thanks too for the back ground info`.

Cheers Russ

19 hours ago, russ c said:

Thanks Syd`, the markings were the closest I had to hand, the fin flash is a bit tall and you can`t see the wing roundels on the photo so I figured that seeing as the more well known ones all had different size roundels over time ( one of each on one a/c ) so could this one have.

Thanks too for the back ground info`.

Cheers Russ

Here is a pic of DU-W you may not have seen before.

img102_zpsxnng8zxf.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

Here is a pic of DU-W you may not have seen before.

img102_zpsxnng8zxf.jpg

Thanks for that Syd`,  No I hadn`t seen that pic. Shouldn`t be too hard to adjust the markings a bit in the future.

Cheers Russ