The Rocinante from The Expanse 1:144

Mike

I just stumbled on this while I was looking for some detail pics of the exterior of the Roci.

https://fantastic-plastic.com/rocinante---catalog1.html

rocinante-boxart.jpg?1527627221

rocinante-whatyouget_2.jpg

• Scale: 1:144
  • Length: 12 inches (30.48 cm)
  • Number of Pieces: 115
  • Pattern: Scott Lowther
  • Casting: Mana Studios
  • Decals: JBOT (Decals for both the Rocinante and MCRN Tachi)
  • Original Box Art by Brad Fraunfelter

That's about the same length as the 3D printed one from printedplanes, but quite a bit more expensive at $170, or a lot more by the time we've imported it & been hit with duty & charges :hmmm:

• Like 5

If you're really desperate to see S3, and ok with a DVD set that may or may not be kosher, eBay is your friend.  Not necessarily the friend of the production company, but seeing as UK fans seem to be getting messed about with,  I'm starting to waver...

Edited by Rob998

As regards to the model,  that would obviously be more involving than the 3D printed one, but at around 4 times the price I'm not able to justify the cost. 

We can dream that someone like moebius models put out some kits!! 

Really want an Agatha king!! 😎

Anybody has expirence with the 3d printed ones? 

Theres a free cardboard model one you can print of the net (was thinking would be super easy to scale to a 3d printed one, print the cardboard one on decal paper and use for the 'aztec'ing' as the trekies call it! 

9 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

Anybody has expirence with the 3d printed ones? 

I've got the little one from Shapeways (I think?), and for me it's not quite tidy enough, although the detail is good.  There are rough areas, and with this shape it's very difficult to sand in those areas, although the new Ultimate customisable sanding sheets are proving quite useful there, I have to say :yes: I've just stripped it for the third time after getting some grey on the model as well as a little detail painting, as I wasn't totally happy with the sanding job, and there was a reaction between the paint & wash.

I've got the Cant from printedplanes, and that seems a lot smoother (and larger for the money), with less of the rough areas, and only a few slight jiggles where the alignment has shifted temporarily.  I've just started going over it with a strip of the above sanding sheet, and it's looking pretty good so far.  The main issue with the stereolithography process is that the finished article is a bit flexible initially, and often quite sticky due to the uncured resin that's within any solid structures leaking out fairly slowly.  I think I've got that sussed now, so any new models I get will be a lot easier to deal with now I know what I'm doing :)

6 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

You know, there are those old things... what did we call them... books?

That's a tad tricky, as the books and the series' ends don't match.  There's also been a bit of truncating going on, along the lines of bringing in Avasarala at the beginning of Season 1, so for someone that's not yet read the books (and I heartily recommend them to anyone), it'll be a bit of a head scratcher :hmmm: