Hi Chaps. 

I am normally an Aviation modeller so somewhat new to this area of the site. As well as modelling my other interest here in Thailand is diving. One of the regular dive sites is HTMS Kram which was a WW11 landing ship medium. It looked a lot like this.....

20180711_214703

I decided to join my hobbies and make the kit above into the Khram. Revell released the kit in 2 versions, early and late. It appears that the Khram is an inbetween version with the gun turrets of the early version but the 40mm front barbette of the late. Of course by the time I learned this I had bought the kit and made a start. 

Planning to scratch build the different parts I built up the hull then posted on Britmodeller to see if anyone had the necessary parts spare. To my great surprise Bootneck responded and I found myself with the parts needed. I'll pick up the thread now with the cutting away of the early bow and assembly of the new parts.

20180930_084438

Here's the early bow semi dismantled and the rest of the hull as it is. 

20180930_084431

I'll post more later. 

Colin 

• Like 6

Great start I was going to build this kit for the Pacific at war group build but it would not fit into the remit of the rules will tag along and hope to pick up a few tips  :book:

beefy

Hi Chaps 

I decided not to follow the instructions due to the merged parts of the bow,particularly as I'm not sure if I will have the bow doors open or closed.

The doors are taped closed and the foredeck glued in place to complete the alignment of the hull and ensure that the doors can be fitted later and still align.

This has had a few days to cure so I can get back to the action this weekend. 

20180930_092543

Colin 

• Like 5

A bit more done over the weekend. The 40mm bow barbette is in place and 3 of the 4x 20mm barbette added. There is a lot of false information about the Khram on the internet with many pictures claiming to be the Khram actually showing a generic LCM. Unfortunately it's the raining season and I can't get out to take a look to see whether the Khram had 4x 20mm or 3. We dived onto the sister ship HTMS Khut last weekend which only had 3 20mm barbette, but was the Khram the same? 

Here's how she is now with 3 20mm and gaps filled 

20181007_210404

Front structure made from butchered old kit and new parts from Bootneck. 

20181007_210444

20181007_210421

Colin 

• Like 7

The detail of the kit is pretty good. There is no aftermarket but I did buy some jeeps from the big H.

Not Many though as they were £9.99 for 2.

20180930_091250

Colin 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I've had a bit of a break from this to work on the Grumman Group build but my F14 is nearly done so back to the Khram. The bow is pretty much done apart from the gun and hand railings. Bow doors and ramp fixed in the open position. 

20181204_214943

I've started to add some of the minor details to the upper surface deck. The guns are really small and one of the 3 sprues was badly short shot so I only managed to get 4 good ones from the 6 in the kit. Just enough. 

20181204_214933

I'm not sure if this is an island or conning tower but it's quite well detailed. 

20181204_215003

Colin 

• Like 6

Some more progress on the Khram this weekend. 

All the railing stanchions added and most of the railing done using Eezee line. I have had to redo a few bits here the tension between posts was too much and they started to bend in.

Is been a long time since I got this far on a model and still didn't use any paint. 

20181209_222606

20181209_222553

Made a lot of progress on the tower as well. 

20181209_222650

Colin 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps. 

Well I've been busy finishing my Tomcat for the Grumman Group build and then a trip to colder climates for Christmas. Back to the Khram now and not too much left to do.

Upper decks painted green in 3 shades using Mr Colour 23 base. Plimsol line done with 137 tyre black and masked with 1mm tape.

20181230_111240

20181230_111229

Lower hull  to be painted with 100 wine red then ready for the upper greys to be done. 

Colin 

• Like 4

Bit more progress now with the Island, conning tower added and a first wash with thinned burnt Siena oil paint. 

20190101_173114

20190101_173125

Colin 

• Like 3

Hi Chaps 

I spent the first few days of the new year adding the minor details to the hull.

20190102_213946

I then gave it another  overall wash with thinned burnt Siena oil paint and focus on the details.

Faced with the prospect of the white marking I decided on 2 approachs. For the name on the hull I used letraset. A product so old my son asked what is was and it's not in the spell checker! 

20190102_214011

The main hull number I printed, cut out made a stencil and sprayed. 

20190102_214000

Ship now almost complete. 

Colin 

• Like 3

Hi Beefy 

I am planning to make a small diorama very similar to yours.  There is a video on YouTube showing the foundation of Pattaya with a dozer from one of Thailands landing ships like the Khram. I am planning to do a diorama of the action using this model. I'm working on the base now and a few more vehicles. 

Colin 

• Like 2