CF-104 Starfighter, Hasegawa 1/72

opus999

CF-104 | Hasegawa | 1/72

Canada -- F/O G.W. Sanderson, Pilot

rFNoQl6.jpg

I completed this model on September 29, 2018. The work in progress is here. The decal set had a full set of numbers to make any S/N, and http://www.rwrwalker.ca/ has histories of most (maybe all) Starfighters in Canadian service.  I picked one that had an exciting, but non-fatal (to the pilot) history.  From the website: "With No. 448 (Test) Squadron at RCAF Station Cold Lake, Alberta in 1960s.  Being operated by No. 6 (ST/R) Operational Training Unit at Cold Lake when it crashed on 9 June 1965.  Pilot lost control on final approach, engine failure and technical malfunction suspected.  F/O G.W. Sanderson, on his first solo on type, ejected".

The CF-104 was built by Canadair under license and was used as a ground attack aircraft, despite it's interceptor origins. Consequently, a large number of Starfighters were lost in service. Reportedly, one of the more entertaining nicknames for the aircraft was "the lawn dart". The CF-104 entered service in March 1961 and the last was retired in 1987, the type being replaced by the CF-18 Hornet.

Finishing: Seams filled with CA (superglue)

Paints: (applied from base coat to surface):  Decanted Tamiya Spray can Gloss Black  > Alclad polished aluminum /  Alclad Stainless steel for darker panels / Testors red for Fuel tanks and horizontal stabilizer / Mr. Color Gloss White for Wing tops / Mr. Color #117 (light blue) for under wings and bottom part of radome > Alclad Aluminum for lighter panels > Alclad Aqua Gloss > Decals > Alclad Aqua Gloss > weathering (oil washes) > Alclad Aqua Gloss

Decals: Belcher Bits CF-104 decals for primary markings, kit decals for stencils

OXbLuGc.jpg

4JsrT2H.jpg

uQImzSD.jpg

K6jVkMi.jpg

DLcVLN5.jpg

05gbsge.jpg

Here's a close up to show the weathering and wash on the wings and fuel tanks:

DXzbqK0.jpg

Closeups of the landing gears and gear bays (note the bottom seam isn't the best -- the plastic appeared to have sunk after molding, creating a concave appearance at the seam):

ShUYeoN.jpg

CT7FR0K.jpg

Here it is next to a mid-80's CF-104 I completed a year and a half ago (a complete re-build of a Hasagawa kit I finished in the mid-80's -- it was a pretty bad kit):

FrLqyOc.jpg

okkepJs.jpg

Building Notes:

• In general, this is a very good kit, except for the need to glue the front half assembly and back half assembly together, creating a seam that is very difficult to get looking good.
  • I got the blue color from one of the websites out there specializing in CF-104s (I don't remember which one now).  I'm on the fence about whether it's correct or not. It matches some of my reference photos, but not others, where it appears to be a type of gray. It could be that they changed colors over time.  I don't know.

Hope you enjoy. Comments, constructive criticism, questions and tips always welcome!

• Like 34

Very nice Silver Machine indeed.  

Your camo F-104 is from a very old original issue Hasegawa kit is it not? Horrible kit really but yours does look rather fine

• Thanks 1

Wow.  That's a real stunner.  One of the nicest schemes I've seen the type wear.  Beautiful natural metal finish.  It may have a had a somewhat chequered career in the ground attack role but the Starfighter certainly looked impressive.  Is that some sort of data panel on the fin just For'd of the national flag?

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2018 at 3:15 AM, Meatbox8 said:

Is that some sort of data panel on the fin just For'd of the national flag?

The cutaway drawing I have shows there are "All-moving tailplane dual hydraulic actuators" and "Power control unit servo valves" behind that panel.  I'm guessing that panel is access to those.  In the pictures I looked at, the panel often had a fiberglass color, just like the panel just aft of the cockpit canopy. I haven't been able to find a picture of that panel that I can read, but my guess is those are stencils related to the access panel.

Sorry I wasn't more help there... I'd like to know myself!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 12:24 AM, Paul J said:

Your camo F-104 is from a very old original issue Hasegawa kit is it not?

Yes, it is! Bought and built in '86, but apparently the molds dated back to the '60's.  I rebuilt it about a year ago.

Horrible kit really

Oh my gosh, yes! When I was rebuilding it, I almost just pitched it in the trash because it was so terrible.

yours does look rather fine

Thank you kindly! It was an exercise in trying some new things -- if it turned out bad, well, it was a bad kit. :smile: