U.S.N. Seaview "Voyage to the bottom of the Sea"

Carts

Not  sure how this will pan out,Its one of those crazy Japanese "toy like" kits .

9RrhR7.jpg

The flying sub(see illustration above) needed a re-model as it looked like a different craft altogether.(also note the size of the crew in the Seaview!)

OI6EaC.jpg

Replaced the conning tower fins as they were too narrow

4vl0zI.jpg

No interior at all so knocked up a couple of decks,this is the eight window Seaview as seen in the original movie.

AeUFp7.jpg

The Seaview hull has a bow under the windows so had to alter the shape slightly

UT3nUE.jpg

Starts humming theme tune :)

• Like 5

The window frames replaced with thicker spars,the original clear window was a very murky dirty yellow so binned and replaced with clear plastic styrene.

E73pSM.jpg

A homemade base was next up

Tw17E3.jpg

Seaview (Well the main bit) next to the base

JCGoNm.jpg

• Like 10

Cool, really love that base!

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Wow, but this brings back memories

Definitely! Voyage to the  Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, Lost in Space and The Invaders all just make me think of sunday lunch with the TV on! :)

• Like 2

On 10/9/2018 at 5:24 AM, stevehnz said:

Wow, but this brings back memories, we were so much less critical back then. ;) :D 

Its looking really good.

Steve

Its true that it has not "Aged Well" 😉 but the Seaview is a fantastic design that ive loved since I was a kid.still got my Annual from about 1968,(Big thank you to Dad who doesnt like to throw owt out)

WFNnNc.jpg

Base ready,with obligatory fridge magnet sign

FuJBBx.jpg

Quick lighting test

hnGEnO.jpg

• Like 7

Well done.  Those old Paramount/Midori/Doyusha kits can be a lot of fun and with the addition of your improvements and base, you have made this one look really good.

David

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 5:24 AM, stevehnz said:

Wow, but this brings back memories, we were so much less critical back then. ;) :D

We didn't really have a choice, and frankly, were glad that someone had actually made a kit; it wasn't likely that there was going to be another one (the idea that there might be, somewhere else in the world, was simply outside of most people's experience).

Some of these toy/kits were worse than others, The Seaview doesn't look too bad -- is it me, or is it a bit on the short side? My idea of what a model should look like comes from the old Aurora model, so it could be out just as much.

Regardless, you're doing a good job here and I look forward to seeing that excellent base with the Seaview on it.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 11:34 PM, Tarkas said:

We didn't really have a choice, and frankly, were glad that someone had actually made a kit; it wasn't likely that there was going to be another one (the idea that there might be, somewhere else in the world, was simply outside of most people's experience).

Some of these toy/kits were worse than others, The Seaview doesn't look too bad -- is it me, or is it a bit on the short side? My idea of what a model should look like comes from the old Aurora model, so it could be out just as much.

Regardless, you're doing a good job here and I look forward to seeing that excellent base with the Seaview on it.

its definitely on the short  side 😉

• 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, Carts said:

Not  sure how this will pan out,Its one of those crazy Japanese "toy like" kits .

9RrhR7.jpg

The flying sub(see illustration above) needed a re-model as it looked like a different craft altogether.(also note the size of the crew in the Seaview!)

Well, box art like this is fine for kids who would not care about the goof, they would be busy trying to get their mum and/or dad to buy it. The box art don't look right, but it's just for kids. I agree with you about the size of the crew in the nose, and I know they didn't have the name Seaview painted on the hull in the movie and TV series.

Hope it pans out fine and well for you, enjoy your fun.