F-84G Thunderjet, Heller 1/72

opus999

F-84G Thunderjet | Heller | 1/72

United States -- Col. Joe Davis, Jr. Pilot

o85qCGD.jpg

I completed this kit on September 29, 2018. It was not going to be my best because the kit was very bad: clumsy raised panel lines, little detail and the plastic of the body was terribly warped.  For those reasons, I chose to make this an "experimental" kit, trying several new paint techniques and ideas. The work in progress is here. The kit turned out better than I had hoped and I'm quite proud how it turned out.  I promised my youngest son that it would go on his ceiling, since it started as a father/son project.  We stopped working on it together when it was discovered what terrible shape the kit was in.

According to the US Air Force Museum, Col. Joe Davis was a highly decorated fighter pilot, serving in both WWII and Korea and was commander of all F-84 units at the end of the Korean war. His aircraft was named "Four Queens" in honor of his Wife and 3 Daughters back home.

The F-84 Thunderjet entered service in 1947, but structural and engine problems needed to be resolved before it was considered fully operational in 1949 (F-84D model). The definitive F-84G entered service in 1951. According to Wikipedia, the F-84 was the USAF's primary strike aircraft in the Korean war flying over 86,000 sorties and destroying 60% of all ground targets in the war. It is also notable for being the US Air Force Thunderbirds demonstration team's first aircraft.

Finishing: Seams filled with CA (superglue)

Paints: (applied from base coat to surface):  Alclad RAF High Speed Silver > Alclad polished aluminum  > Alclad Stainless steel for darker panels  > Testors metallizer sealer > Decals > Testors metallizer sealer > weathering (oil washes) > Testors metallizer sealer

Detail paints: Testors Model Master red, black, zinc chromate in cockpit

Decals: Aeromaster Thunderjets over Korea, Pt. II (ca. 1999)

I will be doing "Four Queens" again, as I have the Italeri kit of that plane. There were a couple other really cool aircraft in the Aeromaster decal set -- it's tempting to do one of those too.

4Vbk0MD.jpg

W2R3NDW.jpg

Mn55pPW.jpg

aewx0OF.jpg

luvhuBC.jpg

OCMymZ5.jpg

Here it is in it's final place on my son's ceiling! It's next to a Hasegawa F-86 that I rescribed and which was my first time using Alclad:

aCjVjbQ.jpg

d6VcgEM.jpg

My only disappointment in this build is that the lettering (USAF) on top has some silvering and on the bottom appears to have had the ink run.  Otherwise I'm very happy with how it turned out!

Hope you enjoy. Comments, constructive criticism, questions and tips always welcome!

Edited by opus999
  • Like 17

• 1 year later...

I linked here from your other F-84 that you have posted and I have to say this looks superb.  Despite the age and quality of the kit you've turned out a real corker.  This has to be one of the most attractive and elaborate schemes of the period.  If only modern military jets were as colourful!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I linked here from your other F-84 that you have posted and I have to say this looks superb.  Despite the age and quality of the kit you've turned out a real corker.  This has to be one of the most attractive and elaborate schemes of the period.  If only modern military jets were as colourful!

Thank you! I was very pleased with the final product. The build was such a challenge that I really didn't have my hopes very high. I can't wait to do my Italeri F-84G, which is also "Four Queens"!

I agree with you about the colorful jets of the 50's. The F-84, for some reason, really seemed to be the most colorful (to me, anyway). I've got decals for a Norwegian F-84, and I bought a second Hobby Boss kit so I could Col. Leven's F-84E, which borders on the obnoxious!

• Like 1