KUTA XI GB Chat

Enzo the Magnificent

Yes, it's that time again!

The eleventn annutal KUTA GB will start on Saturday 3 November and run until Sunday 3 Feb 2019.

So it's time to survey the Shelf of Shame and see how much you can clear.

What will you be building completing? 

• Like 3

The FrankenSeafire shall return to the operating table. We shall just wait for the thunderstorm and lightning to breath new life to her. Assuming my B-17 and Grumman Martlet builds won't keep the skies clear and prevent this from happening... V-P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have a Roden D.VII Thats partially finished. Think that will be my KUTA this year. I have the Aviattic Lozenge decals. I’ve decided to do Bruno Loerzer’s Black & White Fokker. 

G0L8yIr.png

psEDPmg.png

Dennis

PS - I have a second D.VII kit that i may also build. If i do im going to possibly go for a foreign operator of the type. Not sure though ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Hello @Robert

“I have wondered what KUTA stand for please.”

It means “Kick up the ***.” 

The build is for anyone that has a shelf of doom ? They can pull a model that otherwise might not get finished or not for many years at the least. 

Dennis

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rob G said:

The irony is that the last time I attempted a KUTA entry, I failed to finish it...

13 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I might attempt the one (or was it 2?) I failed to finish for last year's KUTA

There might be a pattern emerging here... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

There might be a pattern emerging here... :lol:

My current backlog of started kits that I am currently not working on is about 35 from the last count, plenty to go on with and not finish again this time around :D

• Like 1

I am looking forward to this - I have a few items that that have been chopped from the sprues / neatly sanded down / bits put together / then I lost interest as something new and 'shiny' came along - the old 'ooh look a squirrel' syndrome as they say.

I will start ferreting at the very back of the cupboard. 

• Like 5

I will tentatively sign up to this, I have an Airfix 1/72 Blenheim that deserves to be finished despite making a heavy landing on it's undercarriage and almost being classed as Cat. E and consigned to the bin, also the old 1/96? MPC Eagle transporter has been patiently waiting for a gap in the GB's to get finished off and Revell's 1/144 full stack STS, which after seeing a quite remarkable current build in the Sci-fi/real space forum was placed firmly in the pending section all those plus the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire that I started purely on the basis that it was the highly recommended new tool....God alone knows why? seeing as I don't do Spits , anyway I may tackle all or some depending on time.

• Like 2

l have a few half finished builds so will be signing up for this. In fact more than a few so will attempt to finish a good few.

Thanks Dennis for adding to my vocabulary.

Robert

• Like 2

As someone who averts his eyes from the shelf of shame whenever I have to walk past, from memory I think I have

Airfix Fairey Firefly

Airfix Short Sunderland

Airfix Grumman Duck

Airfix Me262

Revell He100

Playfix Tu-20 / 95 Bear

Magna Hawker Henley

Azur Loire 130

Bound to be others, much older, but likely disappeared in dust ! :sorry:

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This might be a good one for me to join as when I joined BM earlier this year, I set aside a number of kits that were on the go so that I could join in with the Carriers GB and have ended up going from one GB to the next so haven't managed to get back to any of them.

So my choices would be:

1/600 HMS LONDONDERRY alongside in Gibraltar, Oct 1983 (converted from the Airfix LEANDER)

1/600 HMS ALACRITY in a force 12 in the South Atlantic, February 1984 on passage from the Faklands to South Georgia (though little chance of finishing this in the timescale given that most modelling time between now and Christmas will be HMS BULOLO for the Pacific GB)

26317800886_58d79d2bc9_b.jpg

1/48 Fujima Westland Wasp, being built as Wilbur, HMS HECLA's cab during her Operation Corporate deployment in 1982.  Noting the fact that the cockpit is so open and the kit so limited as to what I offers, I put in a completely scratch built interior but it stalled owing to the trepidation of trying to mask it off for spraying. 

Or going back a few years:

1/600 USS FORRESTAL that I think I last did anything to in about 1978/79

1/72 Flower class corvette (similar to the FORRESTAL though not even sure that I have all of the bits anymore after the box fell over in the loft about 15 years ago!

• Like 5

For hopefully the last time I will have my 1/48 Harrier GR9 in this, it’s pretty much the weapons to finish and the base.....the jet has self weathered, it’s been on the shelf that long. If I get a chance my SA Bulldog May also get finished, just canopy and painting needed to complete. 🤞⚠️🤯

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my KUTA candidates either have something to do with rigging (aircraft not ships) or size - b-36 peacemaker / Revell Space shuttle & launcher. If I don't get get involved in this GB they might not get touched.

I think my first offering will be a Heller boxing of the Rapide. I actually have two of thee one an abandoned project from years ago and the other not yet opened. I intend to build them both to see if the second can learn from the mistakes of the first.

The GB comes at the wrong time of the year for large models as I can only airbrush /rattle can large areas during the warmer months  as the only vent I have is an open exterior door.

• Like 2

besides the ones I didn't finish in last years KUTA GB, can I add most of this years as well???

Can I suggest for next year we have a "KUTA for the KUTA GB"?? Maybe then I can finish last years builds!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Too many potential subjects to list or even remember in one sitting but the prime candidates are an Airfix Su-27 that was being converted into a P-42 for the last 20-odd years or the SHAR from this year's Hawker (Siddely) GB. Athough there is a couple Tamiya Beaufighter and a Mobius Black Widow figure and... :wacko:

• Like 1