KUTA XI GB Chat

Enzo the Magnificent

Hello folks,

Here is my motley (partial) collection of shelf dwellers, the erstwhile recipients of lavish plans and hopes and now sad reminders of over ambition, failure and general clumsiness:

43819635470_dbf24e44a6_c.jpg

Introductions;

Possibly the easiest of the bunch with which to gain some closure is the not far from complete MPC Eagle transporter. She was supposed to have an illuminated cockpit with a couple of LEDs shining through the thinned plastic and the decals of the viewports with a custom built battery compartment complete with mini on/off switch on the underside, but alas a possibly dry solder joint inside the now sealed 'beak' put paid to that idea. Still it should look OK with all the various accoutrements added.

Next up, the plastic Blenheim (Airfix 1/72 new tool) that wanted to fly and smashed it's undercarriage in the trying. The undercarriage is a mess and it very nearly ended up in the bin, Its a nice kit though and I'd like to complete it as I have the new 1/48th Mk. 1f on pre-order and it'd be nice to have them side by side for comparison.

Finally; and this may be over-ambition rearing it's head again, is the Revell 1/144 Full Stack STS. The ambitious part still remains the creation, tweaking and fitting of custom heat tile decals for the Orbiter underside. I also admit to losing the will to continue after seeing the ongoing build of the Full stack and launch pad, crawler and possibly several acres of the Kennedy space centre complete with swamps and alligators all in exacting detail over in the Sci-fi and real space forum (if you haven't it's worth checking out)

At least I'm hoping that the KUTA will provide some impetus to crack on with them.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 5

OMG KUTA again? What happend to 2018? Having not attended to a single of all those tempting GBs to avoid cracking another virgin kit, I might consider to get engaged with this one. No other GB theme that offers me so many options directly from my shelves 😉 I bet I have a started kit which I had in a previous KUTA and did not finish it there... I will check what I find and come back here :thumbsup:

• Like 1

A question abut the rules. Do we actually have to finish 100% of the boxed kit we have?

The reason I ask was promoted by @MarkSH 's image of the space shuttle. I have the full launch pad version on my shelf of shame. The shuttle has been started but nothing else. In the time available, and other priorities, I cannot commit to the full kit. As the shuttle was sold as a standalone kit could I enter just that part?

No worries either way, but a no might send it back to it's third decade of oblivion.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 10:04 PM, MarkSH said:

Hello folks,

Here is my motley (partial) collection of shelf dwellers, the erstwhile recipients of lavish plans and hopes and now sad reminders of over ambition, failure and general clumsiness:

43819635470_dbf24e44a6_c.jpg

Introductions;

Possibly the easiest of the bunch with which to gain some closure is the not far from complete MPC Eagle transporter. She was supposed to have an illuminated cockpit with a couple of LEDs shining through the thinned plastic and the decals of the viewports with a custom built battery compartment complete with mini on/off switch on the underside, but alas a possibly dry solder joint inside the now sealed 'beak' put paid to that idea. Still it should look OK with all the various accoutrements added.

Next up, the plastic Blenheim (Airfix 1/72 new tool) that wanted to fly and smashed it's undercarriage in the trying. The undercarriage is a mess and it very nearly ended up in the bin, Its a nice kit though and I'd like to complete it as I have the new 1/48th Mk. 1f on pre-order and it'd be nice to have them side by side for comparison.

Finally; and this may be over-ambition rearing it's head again, is the Revell 1/144 Full Stack STS. The ambitious part still remains the creation, tweaking and fitting of custom heat tile decals for the Orbiter underside. I also admit to losing the will to continue after seeing the ongoing build of the Full stack and launch pad, crawler and possibly several acres of the Kennedy space centre complete with swamps and alligators all in exacting detail over in the Sci-fi and real space forum (if you haven't it's worth checking out)

At least I'm hoping that the KUTA will provide some impetus to crack on with them.

Cheers, Mark.

If you are still wanting to do the whole ceramic tile thing I would suggest (very cautiously and lacking experience in the worst possible way relating to space and sci fi subjects) that you should try doing them in pewter. Said material is sold in large sheets at reasonable prices at art shops around here. 

HTH

REGARDS :

SHAUN 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the South African said:

If you are still wanting to do the whole ceramic tile thing I would suggest (very cautiously and lacking experience in the worst possible way relating to space and sci fi subjects) that you should try doing them in pewter. Said material is sold in large sheets at reasonable prices at art shops around here. 

HTH

REGARDS :

SHAUN 

Thanks, an interesting solution but my intention is to create a set of decals for home printing in coreldraw, a process I’ve already begun.

• Like 1

Here are my three candidates for this years KUTA, these were meant to be quick and easy gap filling builds but have languished on the shelf for far too long. The quick hit would be the F-5E which needs a few paint touch ups, decals and all of the dangly do-dads attaching. The A320 has had some Halfords Racking Grey sprayed on the wings. It was after this that I noticed that the top seam on the cockpit had opened a little, so I applied some superglue and that was as far as I got. The Eurofighter Typhoon was barely started, a bit of painting, some assembly work around the wings and intake and a test fit of the larger parts.

43883789740_0a1b65e05a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I was thinking of grouping all three into a single topic, but I am not too sure if that would be acceptable, over to @Enzo Matrix for some advice methinks. :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Paul821 said:

A question abut the rules. Do we actually have to finish 100% of the boxed kit we have?

The reason I ask was promoted by @MarkSH 's image of the space shuttle. I have the full launch pad version on my shelf of shame. The shuttle has been started but nothing else. In the time available, and other priorities, I cannot commit to the full kit. As the shuttle was sold as a standalone kit could I enter just that part?

No worries either way, but a no might send it back to it's third decade of oblivion.

As I inderstand it, there aren't any rules as such, except that your entry (entries...) can't be new kits - they have to be ones that have been started and have since languished, unloved. The idea of the GB is simply to kick your donkey so that something gets finished. Or at least dug out and restarted...

There's no vote, no prizes or rewards (except for the satisfaction of finally finishing that kit) and no visits in the wee hours to demand your compliance or else. You get done what you get done. Some of us don't get anything done, and we've still got our kneecaps. :)

Dig out your shuttle. Have fun.

• Haha 1

I don't have much sitting on the shelf of shame (i've done pretty well the last couple of years - managed to finish most of what I started) but there are a few candidates - there's a 1/144 Argosy which I ran out of time for in the RAF 100th anniversary GB earlier this year, a 1/48 Super Etendard which I ruined with an ill-advised wash in the Carriers Ahoy GB, a Britannia whose decals were unusable and needs a repaint, and the F-RSIN Trident which also needs a repaint. I think I'll start with the Argosy.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2018 at 11:44, the South African said:

HTH

REGARDS :

SHAUN 

Some people have used medical tape for th einsulation - but in 1:144 it might look out of scale. The pewter idea sounds worth a try. I considerd to try something like the treatment which tank modellers sometimes use to replicate the Zimmerit on German tanks.

Edit: Btw. I pulled out my started Aeroclub Tiger Moth for this GB

10 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Where do I start? 😂😂😂

Ive got a 109, Boston, Skyraider, Beaufighter, Mosquito, Spitfire, Hurricane, A-4 and F-5. Plenty to choose from! 

The Beaufighter looks as if it can't need much to finish it, start there, then the Mosquito. If you have time after that I'd pick you the Skyraider based on the fact it's a less commonly seen subject. Now crack on ;) 

Nice collection by the way :thumbsup:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Col. said:

The Beaufighter looks as if it can't need much to finish it, start there, then the Mosquito. If you have time after that I'd pick you the Skyraider based on the fact it's a less commonly seen subject. Now crack on ;) 

Nice collection by the way :thumbsup:

Thank you Col, yes the Beaufighter will most likely be my first entrant to this GB.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Thank you Col, yes the Beaufighter will most likely be my first entrant to this GB.

I'm looking forward to seeing that :speak_cool:

• Like 1

The idea of a 1/48 Boston keeps popping into my head.  Are problems with the kit the reason it's parked for the 'Shelf of Shame?' 

Edited by BlackAck
I can’t spell

On 15 November 2018 at 2:56 PM, BlackAck said:

The idea of a 1/48 Boston keeps popping into my head.  Are problems with the kit, the reason it's parked for the 'Shelf of Shame?' 

No not really, only thing it's italeris crude moulding that has a fair bit of flash on some of the smaller parts. Overall it's a nice kit, it stopped in its track as I don't have the desert paints for it at the minute. 

• 2 weeks later...

New airbrush compressor shows up tonight!  So hopefully that'll give me a little kick in the a** to get the RF-4E finished up over the next couple months.  🤬

The initial startup in the '70s NATO/Warsaw GB: 70s NATO/Warsaw GB - W. German Luftwaffe RG 51 RF-4E

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:01, Chewbacca said:

This might be a good one for me to join as when I joined BM earlier this year, I set aside a number of kits that were on the go so that I could join in with the Carriers GB and have ended up going from one GB to the next so haven't managed to get back to any of them.

So my choices would be:

1/600 HMS LONDONDERRY alongside in Gibraltar, Oct 1983 (converted from the Airfix LEANDER)

1/600 HMS ALACRITY in a force 12 in the South Atlantic, February 1984 on passage from the Faklands to South Georgia (though little chance of finishing this in the timescale given that most modelling time between now and Christmas will be HMS BULOLO for the Pacific GB)

26317800886_58d79d2bc9_b.jpg

1/48 Fujima Westland Wasp, being built as Wilbur, HMS HECLA's cab during her Operation Corporate deployment in 1982.  Noting the fact that the cockpit is so open and the kit so limited as to what I offers, I put in a completely scratch built interior but it stalled owing to the trepidation of trying to mask it off for spraying. 

Or going back a few years:

1/600 USS FORRESTAL that I think I last did anything to in about 1978/79

1/72 Flower class corvette (similar to the FORRESTAL though not even sure that I have all of the bits anymore after the box fell over in the loft about 15 years ago!

Gonna have to drop out of this I'm afraid.  The BULOLO build in the Pacific Theatre GB is not going to be finished this week and I'd like to press on with that.  Depending upon how much time work sends me to overseas meetings next month means there's a fighting chance that might be done by the beginning of February. but that's about it.  Perhaps KUTA XII to get some of the ones above completed?  Or maybe they'll be done by then anyway?

Glad this goes on to the 3rd of Feb. Having joined, I decided to redecorate the bedroom (last done 20 years ago when we moved in) this has entailed removing existing fitted wardrobes, lifting the carpet, striping the wallpaper, plastering, lining paper, painting the ceiling, replacing the ceiling light, laying laminate flooring and putting in new fitted wardrobes. Also had to shave the bottom of the door. Still have skirting to do but that is for the new year. I also have 2,000 words of a 3,000 word assignment on Research methods done and 1,000 words of a 3,000 word assignment on Information Governance. Both due in on the 7th January.  So, I may finish the Spitfire in time...