1/48th Tamiya Beaufighter with Alleycat resin flat tail conversion.....FINISHED

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I`m currently building the new Revell Beaufighter and as I had to rob some parts from the Tamiya kit and I also want to make an early variant too,.... I decided to put this one together as well. Here are the resin conversion parts,....... I got them via a magazine but they are no longer available this way,... however the same basic parts are being sold by Alleycat Models;

DSCF4953

Of course the Tamiya kit is so much easier to build than the Revell kit,...... the plastic is less flimsy and there are fewer parts,........ so it goes together much more quickly!

Last night I pre painted the interior parts of the kit and this morning assembled the cockpit;

DSCF4949DSCF4950

And the wing section was also built up,.... shown here with some of the pre painted parts;

DSCF4952

This afternoon it was a simple case of joining the fuselage,adding the wing and fin and also the resin tail tailplanes;

DSCF4954DSCF4955

Tamiya kits are always good for the soul as they fit so well,....... it has now been left aside to dry overnight before adding some filler and then sanding the seams ready for painting!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15

Thanks for the link!

This is a shake and bake kit and as you say clicks together.

Now then, the wings. They have symmetrical flak damage repairs and if doing a British based aircraft the gun access hatches need a seeing to....

Trevor

EDIT! See post 7 in this thread

• Like 1

Wow Tony, you are like a machine !!! great work so far, you are making it very hard for me to resist my Tamiya one now.  Very interesting to see the flat tailplane conversion.  I have the Revell 32nd scale Beau which is the flat Tailplaned Mk 1 but fancied converting to a later machine, although could now be persuaded to keep em flat.

Keep up the good work as always

Chris

• Like 1

The Beaufighter that I think I`ll be going for is in this photo,........T4843, WR-X of 248 Sqn, which is the furthest aircraft in the photo below. It flew with the squadron on detachment from the UK to Malta to provide long-range air cover for the important Operation Pedestal convoy on 21 August 1942 and its usual pilot was Australian Sgt Ron Hammond who claimed a Ju88 probable and a Fiat BR.20 destroyed. Hammond  went on to claim six victories before he was killed flying a Beaufighter in combat with FW-190s off the French coast in December 1942 and Beaufighter T4843 was shot down by flak near Trondheim on 28 April 1943 ;

Beaufighter-MkIC-RAF-248Sqn-WRG-WRF-and-WRX-Ta-Kali-Malta-Aug-1942-01 (1)

Using the DK Decals sheet 48010;

DSCN5717

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve got the model sanded and the canopy fitted,..... as I said I`m not fully happy with the look of the canopy,..... I cannot quite put my finger on it though!

DSCF4959DSCF4958

And I found this very dusty model on the shelf of doom,......a very old Tamiya Beau which I had started to re paint as a desert based night fighter with the addition of a resin flat tailplane;

DSCF4957DSCF4956

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Hiya Folks,...... Tony Three Beau`s here!!!

Well I`ve almost caught up with the Revell kit after putting a couple of coats of Sky onto the undersides of this one followed by a couple of coats of Dark Slate Grey on top. Probably another coat to apply then the EDSG disruptive camo;

DSCF4964DSCF4963

Cheers for now,

Tony TB!!

• Like 10

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I like the look of the flat tailplanes, didn't know anyone did a set, will have to look into getting some!

Lots of Beaufighter stuff here including..............

https://www.redroomodels.com/red-roo-resin-148/red-roo-beaufighter-flat-tailplane-148/

Great work as usual Tony 3-BO - I suppose you will do all of the others on the DK sheet?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Lots of Beaufighter stuff here including..............

https://www.redroomodels.com/red-roo-resin-148/red-roo-beaufighter-flat-tailplane-148/

Great work as usual Tony 3-BO - I suppose you will do all of the others on the DK sheet?

Cheers Ed,..... maybe not ALL of them,...... but yes, quite a few mate! Same with the 1/72nd Liberators and Boston`s,..... I`ve already ordered some of the newly released sheets,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,

Just got the first coat of Polly Scale EDSG onto the model;

DSCF4983DSCF4982DSCF4984

The EDSG is actually darker than it appears on the photos,....... I`ve tried a 2nd coat today but it was a bit of a disaster,.....really wishy washy,...... so considering using Humbrol 123 enamel instead now!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looking great Tony.

I was going to order the DK sheet to pick up at Telford but Hannants have sold out, will have to try and find one there.

Sorry to hear that,..... the thing is about DK sheets,..... you have to be quick or they soon go. If you cannot get one, contact DK and if enough people do that he`ll most likely do a re print,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Looking great Tony.

I was going to order the DK sheet to pick up at Telford but Hannants have sold out, will have to try and find one there.

I don`t know if this is of any use,..... but here are the two ADS Beau sheets for sale together on E Bay;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADS-Decals-Bristol-Beaufighter-part-1-2-pre-owned-un-touched/263981832425?hash=item3d768b18e9:g:teYAAOSwFYZbvH1P:rk:2:pf:0

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

I don`t know if this is of any use,..... but here are the two ADS Beau sheets for sale together on E Bay;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADS-Decals-Bristol-Beaufighter-part-1-2-pre-owned-un-touched/263981832425?hash=item3d768b18e9:g:teYAAOSwFYZbvH1P:rk:2:pf:0

Thanks for that Tony, I think I will wait for the DK sheet to become available again, although that is good value for the 2 sheets on offer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks for that Tony, I think I will wait for the DK sheet to become available again, although that is good value for the 2 sheets on offer.

Maybe e mail Hannants,.... they might order some more,..... or e mail DK directly explaining that their importer is out of stock! I wanted a Liberator sheet which was out of stock and finally found one on line in Italy,.... so don`t give up!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

They do sell out quickly - if all else fails............

https://www.redroomodels.com/dk-decals-148/dk-decals-bristol-beaufighter-in-raf-commonwealth-service/

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Another update,..... I applied a coat of thinned down Pactra acrylic EDSG and the camouflage is now finished,..... with Humbrol 35 enamel gloss varnish applied over the top ready for the decals;

DSCF5019DSCF5018DSCF5017

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 5