Cutting DPM decal to shape

goon

Hi Gang,

I've got some Blackdog figures that need DPM camo applying. I have some sheets sheets of decal by Cross Delta. I'm just wondering if anyone has used these, and if they have any tips for applying them, especially cutting them to a shape that fits the contours of the figure nicely.

Thanks for any help,

Gareth

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DPM decal sheets have always struck me as a bloody brilliant idea but incredibly difficult to make work.  I think I've seen tartan ones too.  Effectively, you have to cut pieces to represent the individual fabric pieces on the original garment right up to the seams and over the edges of detail like collars and pockets flaps while not leaving any gaps!  If you look at most DPM uniforms, the patterns don't match across the seams or on applique pieces like pockets, etc.  And of course there are creases and folds to distort everything.  And you have to fit them around webbing straps, pouches etc.  But some of those are in DPM fabric too..........   Then somehow you have to apply shading and highlighting to the folds and decal film takes paint completely differently to a painted surface.  And then you hope that the whole lot doesn't dry out and peel off a few months later............

The most obvious answer is to lay pieces on and then trim to size and shape with a sharp new blade once positioned into the folds etc.  But that risks damaging any decal already applied to the surrounding area, and while the decal is still wet it may shift in the process but once dry the surplus will be very hard to remove without causing damage.

So I've not been able to work out how on earth you use these decals and filed the whole idea away under "A" for "All too difficult".

Kit manufacturers - certainly the injection guys or anyone who uses CAD to design the tooling - should be able to "flatten out" the surfaces of their models and either provide cutting templates or pre-shaped pieces to apply.  Just giving you a sheet and leaving you to get on with it seems like a quick route to sweary words, hair-tearing, throwing things, strong drink and inevitable insanity!!!   

Perhaps a better idea would have been to have a system where you paint a base colour and then apply decal with the other colours on a clear film, which perhaps seems more tolerant of little errors.

But I'm afraid that none of this is of any practical help to you.  Sorry.

• Like 1

Hello, thanks for your advice. I've been working away on my figures for a little while, having come to the same conclusion as you regarding cutting and trimming separate pieces. I make a paper template for each one, then draw round that to cut from the decal sheet. Once it's in place I hit it with Daco strong decal solution. When it's nice and soft you can press it in to detail with a cotton bud. I did think about pockets and seams, but for the first go I am keeping it simple. I've done the trousers in one piece, but the jacket is actually easier to do by cutting smaller parts to join at seams.

It's not dificult, but it is time consuming. The best way is to do two pieces every evening as a break from my main project as paint or filler or whatever is drying. 

Here's where I am up to:

73DFxOQ.jpg

• Like 2