Peddinghaus captured RR Armoured Car decals - accuracy and photos

Blimpyboy

Hiya all,

I'm intrigued by the Italian option on Peddinghaus decal sheet #1838 (Rolls-Royce Armoured Car with DAK and Italian markings - http://decals.guenstigergeht.net/1-35-Decals-for-tanks-and-vehicles/Rolly-Royce-Armoured-Car-with-DAK-and-Italian-markings.html). However, I cannot find any references that support the pictures on the decal instruction sheet.

Does anybody out there have any references to back up the drawings on this sheet (see here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peddinghaus-1-35-British-Armoured-Car-DAK-and-Italian-Markings-WWII-Roden-1838-/171403120825)?

Thanks in advance for any help

No photo, but there is something possible in the 11th Hussars history where one of their Rolls Royce Armoured Cars (RRAC) from C Squadron was damaged by a land mine and temporarily abandoned.  The unit tried to fend off Italians from a distance, but the enemy managed to tow it away, (and eventually pressed it back into service)?

See the entry dated 10/7/40:

http://www.warlinks.com/armour/11_hussars/11huss_40.php

------------------------------------

For the German marked one, I went directly to the Beutepanzer site, but is not listed, probably because no photos exist?

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

I found in my files a picture of an Italian captured car but that shows no markings at all.  The decal instructions show a car in plain 'sand' which scheme did not come into use until January 1942 so I am dubious of the sheet.  When 11th started operations their cars were mostly finished in the 1938-39 scheme of Middle Stone No.61 and 'dark sand' to a specific unit devised pattern.  The famous image of a car at the wire shows this.  By late 1940 into 1941  the Caunter scheme was prevalent, lots of images showing that.  I believe 11th had been re-equipped with different cars, Humbers?  by early 1942. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had it in mind that the RAF might have lost a R-R a/c.  But looking through "In Every Place", the excellent and comprehensive book on RAF a/c units, I can't find any evidence.  The ones they lost were all damaged beyond repair, with none captured or abandoned serviceable.  There's a picture of Rommel examining one that I recalled, but the entire engine and bonnet have been destroyed.

On the other hand, if DAK had captured one in working order I imagine they would have used it, antiquated or not.  At times, more than half of DAK's non-tank inventory was captured vehicles.  But the list of possible units it could have been captured from is thin, and as many R-Rs were rebuilt as Fordsons before the DAK were seriously engaged the candidate base is slim.  The RAF ran some R-R's for quite a long time, which is why I thought a captured one might have been one of theirs.

• Like 1

Has anyone though to ask Herr Peddinghaus what his reference sources are?  I've had correspondence with him before about his products, although about ordering rather than accuracy.  There's a contact form on his website.

• 2 weeks later...

Without a photo we're guessing in the dark a bit.  The 11H car taken by the Italians looks like a strong possibility.  But mine damage suggests suspension damage as it would have gone off under a wheel, which might have been hard to fix.  I would question the Italians' ability and necessity - or the Germans for that matter - to repair a mine-damaged virtually-antique car without access to replacement parts. 

I still think it's worth asking Herr Peddinghaus what his sources are.  It's not rude and I'm sure he'll understand.  He may have an unpublished source.  

As Mike S says, an RAF car would be recognisable because of their modifications.  The damaged RAF car captured by DAK (below) was in late Jan '42, almost 2 years after the 11H capture so scavenging between both looks impossible.  It took a shell through the bonnet and engine which demolished both, but looks otherwise intact and the crew were unharmed.  As far as I can tell, the other cars lost by the RAF were all completely destroyed.  RAF AC companies didn't like abandoning scarce kit, even antiques.  Indeed on one occasion they returned in the face of the advancing DAK with fuel to drive away several vehicles including tanks abandoned out of fuel by retreating Army units.

nTxeq43.jpg

The bonnet panels here look strangely intact, almost as if they just fell off, although the front plate looks bent forward.  Could his car have been rebuilt with a different engine?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...