1/48 Airfix Tomahawk IIb, 112 Squadron, AK457

Hi Everyone

Here’s a build I did in July just for a breather, a quick bit of light relief. The only thing that drew me to it in at my LMS was the shark mouth; I mean how many of us who built kits as kids had a sharkmouth P-40 of hanging from the ceiling. This was merely a trip down memory lane and a goal to actually finish something….that’s how it started anyway.

During the build I discovered that the pilot, Sgt Willian Earl Houston, was from Hastings, Hawke’s Bay, NZ; about 2 hours by road from where I live. He lost his life on 12th December 1941, when he was shot down by Erbo Graf von Kageneckaged near Tmimi, Libya. He was 19.

So having accidentally picked a subject related to both my main interests (RAF and RNZAF), here’s my Airfix Tomahawk IIb built to represent AK457 of 112 Squadron in North Africa. Built from the box I added Tamiya tape for belts and Eezy Line for the ariel wires, wire brake lines.  I didn’t encounter any major problems with the build. I used the salt wash technique to weather the upper surfaces, I like the subtlety of the effect. I also tried out AK Interactive’s Heavy Chipping fluid for the first time.  You’ll see that the effect in places is 100% accurate at replicating the ‘chipping’ caused when a gigantic piece of masking tape is pressed onto a painted surface that has been applied to a surface it’s not meant to stick to ! :hmmm: 

Turned out to be quite a satisfying build. I hope you like it.

Cheers

Gaz :bye:

44917925412_330d2de718_o.jpg

43154049440_b2048a8c4b_o.jpg

44917924572_43094dcee6_o.jpg

44247025174_d86fdd2911_o.jpg

44247027494_2bd21af7a3_o.jpg

44917926852_c27ab66a29_o.jpg

43154048310_f3113a6fed_o.jpg

44247029234_3037c631d1_o.jpg

• Like 47

Gaz

Another great Kiwi build. Good to read the back story if not a little sad. I'm reading "To young to die" by Bryan Cox at the moment about the Kiwi Corsair pilots in the Pacific. He was only Nineteen at the time.

Gives a good idea on how they flew the P-40 and the Corsair and I'm only up to the training part. 

• Like 2

I mean how many of us who built kits as kids had a sharkmouth P-40 of hanging from the ceiling

Hah! How true...x2 here, a 1/72 Flying Tigers P-40 (Academy I think) and a 1/48 P-40 in american colours as I recall, I think that was Italeri or ERTL.

I'll be picking up this kit and doing this subject as well, I hope it turns out as well as your's...looks superb, thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2018 at 4:54 PM, Greg Law said:

Gaz

Another great Kiwi build. Good to read the back story if not a little sad. I'm reading "To young to die" by Bryan Cox at the moment about the Kiwi Corsair pilots in the Pacific. He was only Nineteen at the time.

Gives a good idea on how they flew the P-40 and the Corsair and I'm only up to the training part. 

My favourite has always been Desmond Scotts Typhoon Pilot.

• Like 1

Cracking build Gaz look's superb,I had a go at this kit and scheme a few month's back but bottled out of adding the wiring,I'm building Trumpeter's

1/32 kit at the minute and gonna have to add it this time!

22 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Cracking build Gaz look's superb,I had a go at this kit and scheme a few month's back but bottled out of adding the wiring,I'm building Trumpeter's

1/32 kit at the minute and gonna have to add it this time!

Hey 

Yeah, I've been catching up with RFIs over the last week or so and came across your build the other the other night.  Lovely job, I don't think I'd seen another before yours.  Do you have any E Z Line ?  It's not too difficult to use, and so forgiving when in position in that it's so stretchy it's nigh on impossible to break or pull off.

Good luck with the big guy !  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Nice build.

Did you find any difficulties while building the kit?

Hey

Nothing too difficult.  Aligning the top engine cowls might have been a bit fiddly and took a bit of care but that was it.  A pretty easy kit to put together really.

Cheers

Gaz

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Superb build !

I have mine ready for painting and it was a very nice build so  far.

No. 112 Squadron markings are really a "must" when it comes to the P-40.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 9:27 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

Just found this whilst looking for inspiration for my one - you've done a great job with this kit!👍

On 5/9/2021 at 1:17 AM, BerndM said:

Superb build !

I have mine ready for painting and it was a very nice build so  far.

No. 112 Squadron markings are really a "must" when it comes to the P-40.

On 5/9/2021 at 5:12 AM, Gary Brantley said:

That's a right beaut Gaz!  Great job mate!  :clap2:

Hey thanks guys. 

Between one thing and another I've not been around much the lately, so to log in so soon after your comments were submitted was a nice coincidence and they're very welcome as I try and reinflate my somewhat shrunken mojo.

Good luck with your builds :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Constructed this one last year ,realy enjoyable went together no problems, you have done a great job well done 👏

• Thanks 1