First F-35 Land/Take-Off HMS QE

4scourge7

1 hour ago, Shar2 said:

As someone who worked on the first generation if naval VSTOL aircraft, I think It's fantastic that we have fixed wing aboard a British carrier once more. I'd give a kidney to be back in the mob and back on a carrier like QE working on the F-35B.  Those who don't understand collaborative program should just wind their necks in and stop spouting rubbish. She will be sailing home at the end of Westlant 18 with some more of our own aircraft.

Very well said that man!

👍

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:49 PM, hovis said:

True. Although I'd have played it safe for the first go and given it all the run up she needed, but then, I'm just the careful sort 😉

You could bet your pension that the take off runs to be used are varied and pre-determined as part of the test programme - varying take off weights, varying wind speeds over the deck, varying calculated minimum run length etc etc etc. It will all have been calculated but the test programme has to prove it. As such, starting with the tail hanging over stern every time isn't helping to prove anything 👍

Test flying is about gradually working your way through a comprehensive schedule of tests, each one a slightly more onerous version of the last. You don't just "go for it" - you build it up gradually and if anything goes awry you know the exact thing you changed which broke it. On the other hand, if you don't actually take the steps and push it further each time, you never actually *know* what the envelope/limits really are.

It's a bit like driving a car. Someone who never goes above 50 normally and pussyfoots around everywhere they go is very often an absolute liability in snow or ice because they simply don't know the car/know its tell-tales approaching its limits/what it does at or beyond its limits/have reflexing corrective actions in their skillset.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

If you can find a copy of this month's (Dec/Jan) issue of Smithsonian Air & Space Magazine, there is a nice picture of a night landing/takeoff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 4scourge7 said:

HMS QE returning to Portsmouth 13:40 today, after highly successful trials period with the F-35.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-queen-elizabeth-to-arrive-home-from-the-us-this-afternoon/

Welcome home and merry Christmas all! :thumbsup:

Great news. I'm only sorry I couldn't get over to Portsmouth today to see her come home!

Terry