First F-35 Land/Take-Off HMS QE

4scourge7

1 hour ago, grahamwalker said:

US Marine  corps aircraft, they could not even use a British version, laughing stock comes to mind.

And Que the moaners and snowflakes  for me stating the truth.   

Am I the only one to the see the iron of someone moaning about moaners?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grahamwalker said:

US Marine  corps aircraft, they could not even use a British version, laughing stock comes to mind.

British version? 

2 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

I assume your comment refers to the aircraft having the US insignia. It's a pity you didn't read the article before commenting, then you would know that the two aircraft in question are co-owned development airframes and were flown by RN and RAF pilots on this occasion.

As for me, I am pleased to see this moment having been involved in the early design of the ship. It has been a long slog but it is justification for all those who have worked hard on creating this ship. A job well done! 

Edited by Paul E
Edit
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, Paul E said:

I assume your comment refers to the aircraft having the US insignia. It's a pity you didn't read the article before commenting, then you would know that the two aircraft in question are co-owned development airframes and were flown by RN and RAF pilots on this occasion.

As for me, I am pleased to see this moment having been involved in the early design of the ship. It has been a long slog but it is justification for all those who have worked hard on creating this ship. A job well done! 

Well put Paul, more eloquently stated than I would have managed.

A truly impressive achievement, looks the part from a distance, simply astonishing close-up.

The Americans (who know a thing or two about carrier operations) seem on-side and enthusiastic, as are the RN, FAA, and RAF. 

I strongly suspect that they know what they are talking about.

Well done all round, once again. :clap2: 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

And your experience in managing international military aircraft development and acceptance programmes is?

What difference does it make, they're flying as a composite unit for development so the UK is carrying out roles and trials that will benefit the US and vice versa..... as per the plan....

• Like 2

As someone who worked on the first generation if naval VSTOL aircraft, I think It's fantastic that we have fixed wing aboard a British carrier once more. I'd give a kidney to be back in the mob and back on a carrier like QE working on the F-35B.  Those who don't understand collaborative program should just wind their necks in and stop spouting rubbish. She will be sailing home at the end of Westlant 18 with some more of our own aircraft.

• Like 7

I don't know if these shots have been heavily processed, but the lines of the F-35 look almost CGIed.  I'm not saying they are, but they look a bit surreal :hypnotised:

32 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

It's funny that the whole STOL setup looks a little counter intuitive in that to get the vertical fan going they have to deploy what otherwise looks like a massive speed break. 

It is effectively a speed brake, but having it open t'other way would prevent fresh air from reaching the fan as it started to move.  I wonder why they didn't consider a clamshell set of doors for the top, like they did the bottom?  Maybe they wanted that door to act as an airbrake?  Who knows.  Any aerodynamicists knocking about tonight? :)

Did anyone notice when it was landing that it seemed to have the weapons door open?  Could it be for airflow purposes when in the hover, or just showing off her bays?

Also, on take off, why not have a longer run up?  The roll seems very short, and the whole deck was available....

2 minutes ago, hovis said:

Did anyone notice when it was landing that it seemed to have the weapons door open?  Could it be for airflow purposes when in the hover, or just showing off her bays?

I did, and I don't know. :dunce:

3 minutes ago, hovis said:

Also, on take off, why not have a longer run up?  The roll seems very short, and the whole deck was available....

Possibly to simulate a busy deck & the amount that it needs for operations.  Imagine how much "see, see, seee! It needs the whole deck to get off the ground!" there would have been if they'd used it all :lol:

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Possibly to simulate a busy deck & the amount that it needs for operations.  Imagine how much "see, see, seee! It needs the whole deck to get off the ground!" there would have been if they'd used it all :lol:

True. Although I'd have played it safe for the first go and given it all the run up she needed, but then, I'm just the careful sort 😉