JAP V8 Cycle car.

harveyb258

Hi chaps.

Ever the ambitious, I'm always searching for future projects....and this has emerged as THE STRONGEST candidate over the Napier-Raillton for a 1:8 full scratch-job.

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=136808

What do you think, guys?? This would look incredible in a display case....VERY steampunk indeed!:D

Cheers, H

• Like 3

That engine is almost certainly 4 J.A Prescott V twins cobbled (in the very best meaning of the term) together. Much awesomeness. 

My ex father-in-law had a massive garage full of 3 wheeler Morgans in various stages of restoration, and a good few of them were J.A.P engined. He told  me if I wanted one I could have it, but whichever one I chose would have to wait its pre-arranged turn, and I chose the one with a big Vincent slung out of the front of it. Unfortunately things between Mrs 998 Mk1 and myself sort of reached the point of being beyond economical repair before the Moggy reached its pre-allocated turn on the ramp...

Edited by Rob998
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 30/09/2018 at 23:11, Rob998 said:

That engine is almost certainly 4 J.A Prescott V twins cobbled (in the very best meaning of the term) together. Much awesomeness. 

You mean JA Prestwich possibly? If so, then no this engine isn't a cobbled-together home-made item. It sat in the JA Prestwich main reception until the company was sold circa 1963/64, at which point it began the long road to get it running and eventually fitted to a chassis that would do it justice. The engine was a company aero engine project from the Great War period. This, along with similar rare aero engines in race cars, makes it a rare beast, and all the more amazing to see running.

• Like 2

Doh! Late night posting whilst lubricated fail😵 ! In my defence when ever I tried to type J.A.P,  sans the full stops, the forum software kept changing it to the noun "Japanese".

I didn't mean to suggest it was a homebrew. When I said cobbled together, I meant based upon, and yes by the factory. Obviously the crank and crank case would be specifically designed for the application, but I bet there's more than a passing resemblance to their V-twins of the day.

Right,  I'll chuck my spade to one side now and stop digging! 🤐

Anyway,  it looks a fabulous subject for a build. I love following these kinds of projects (whatever the genre) and have literally lost days of my life reading through them on this infernal site!  I doubt I'll ever be able to spare the time to develop the skills to even attempt something like this, but they are quite inspirational in their way.

• Like 2

I don't know if there is much information available on this engine but I'd love to know more: it does make sense to base the top end on the V-twins though I'm not expert enough to know if those bits even look similar. I did speak to Mr Scaldwell about it a while ago, and I think it was he who said that it had sat in the JA Prestwich building for a long time. I imagine even by the 1950s/60s it must have been a conversation piece.

And I just tried the 'J.A.P' thing and see what you mean!

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I did speak to Mr Scaldwell about it a while ago

I'd like to get in touch with said gentleman. I'm sure he'd be interested in my plans to recreate his "baby".

Are there any contact details available, that you know of??