35 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

What an utterly inspired idea for a diorama! I too remember seeing the first shots of Scarif and thinking "WOW! This is a different Star Wars, and I like it!". It never occurred to me to try and replicate that scene in model form.

Brilliant!

Thanks Zac,  It looked like it would be cool to do and i imagined it would be easy but when i  thought of using the resin for the first time and sealing two £20 models into it, never to be removed again, it started to dawn on me that this could be an epic fail.  However  the great thing about posting a WIP on this forum is the advice and encouragement, it definitely eggs you on and there is some great advice out there.  

I hope to get a layer of clear coat on tonight when i finish work and then a second layer on tomorrow morning.  If all dries OK i will look to pour the first lot of resin (which i have found a lot of fun tbf!) on Sunday!  Well that's the plan anyway.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, Tommygunn1972 said:

Hi all, I've been away from the forum for a while(18 months I think) and I haven't  really started a model in that time either, family stuff,work  etc...

But over the summer I talked the wifey into letting me get a shed as a work shop in the garden. And I'm really getting the bug again. It's so much easier not having to get all of my materials out of the kitchen cupboard.

Here's the shed for anyone who is interested:

20180803_205226

2018-09-29_09-52-39

I've been away from Britmodeller for longer than you, I think like couple of years or more. So, hello and welcome back to Britmodeller.

HEY!! You got a shed for doing your model kits??  I am impressed!

• Like 3

Yes I have a shed just no time to go in it right now so this Dio is still a work in progress I am putting together an M48A3 tank which will bey first try at armour so will post something when I get time. 

And welcome yourself! Are you working on anything right now?

19 minutes ago, Tommygunn1972 said:

Yes I have a shed just no time to go in it right now so this Dio is still a work in progress I am putting together an M48A3 tank which will bey first try at armour so will post something when I get time. 

And welcome yourself! Are you working on anything right now?

Really impressed that you have a shed for doing model kits. I wish I had thought of it years ago.

No, not doing any model kits, haven't been doing model kits for years, just saw the link still in the browser's bookmarks, and forgotten about it. I figure to log on and catch up.

I would agree, a Tamiya M41 Walker is a great kit to get your feet wet again.  

I like the dio idea and what you have done so far.

One thing I like about the reference photo, is the first guy couldn't give two beans about being on that patrol, while the other two seem more motivated about walking around in the water. 

Edited by Tank1812

14 hours ago, Tank1812 said:

I would agree, a Tamiya M41 Walker is a great kit to get your feet wet again.  

I like the dio idea and what you have done so far.

One thing I like about the reference photo, is the first guy couldn't give two beans about being on that patrol, while the other two seem more motivated about walking around in the water. 

Thanks Tank!

I was thinking about getting the walker bulldog kit next i have an M113 ACAV  on the shelf also so a bit of a Vietnam theme going on right now.

I agree about the poses, I think it is key to get the pose of the Bandai figures right to pull it off.  That is if i manage to pull the whole resin pour thingy off first.  I am still a little concerned about it but as time goes on i am a little less invested in the figures and have almost forgot that they cost me £43 between them so it doesnt seem to scary to mess it all up now 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Tommygunn1972 said:

Thanks Tank!

I was thinking about getting the walker bulldog kit next i have an M113 ACAV  on the shelf also so a bit of a Vietnam theme going on right now.

I agree about the poses, I think it is key to get the pose of the Bandai figures right to pull it off.  That is if i manage to pull the whole resin pour thingy off first.  I am still a little concerned about it but as time goes on i am a little less invested in the figures and have almost forgot that they cost me £43 between them so it doesnt seem to scary to mess it all up now 😂😂😂

I need to finish my Tamiya bulldog http://www.ipmseaglesquadron.org/ES-Forums/index.php/topic,1472.0.html

I really like the price point of the kit. I think the AFV Club/Skybow kit is probably better but the M41 is not my thing so I am not 100% sure.  

Since you already messing with resin why not make a mold of the legs from the knee down. Then you add them to base before you add the water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tank1812 said:

I need to finish my Tamiya bulldog http://www.ipmseaglesquadron.org/ES-Forums/index.php/topic,1472.0.html

I really like the price point of the kit. I think the AFV Club/Skybow kit is probably better but the M41 is not my thing so I am not 100% sure.  

Since you already messing with resin why not make a mold of the legs from the knee down. Then you add them to base before you add the water.

I feel the same about the price I imagine the detail would be better on the AFV club kit but for under £15 for the Tamiya it's got to be worth a go.

I couldn't see your pictures on the link (bloody Photobucket!) I will try to post a WIP up tonight of my M48 and link it.  I have it on my Instagram but I'm not sure it's allowed by the mods to link or signpost to social media? If anyone knows please advise.

I have never molded anything before so that would be a nervy first time thing too.  If the resin doesn't work I will just put them in the forest knee deep in mud lol.

3 hours ago, Tommygunn1972 said:

for under £15 for the Tamiya it's got to be worth a go

It isnt a bad kit at all just dated. I built one about 20 years ago and i thought it was pretty good. The detail is where its lacking. Everything like tie downs and handles are molded in not P/E or addable. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Tommy gun how did this work out for you in the end? Would like to see finished product of you have a pic or post? Did you get the colour to stick ok and what did you use to seal up the sides? How many pours and layers in the end? I've been following this thread and didn't see the outcome is all and very curious as liked the idea (even though not a sci-fi fan).