Airfix Future Spitfires

averarandy

Didn't Airfix make a statement that they would eventually produce every version/mark of the Spitfire? I read that somewhere, quite a long time ago. In fact, besides their boxings to date, what other versions could be built by cross-boxing existing kits. Maybe that is what they were talking about when building all versions.

areva

1/48

Edited by averarandy
Add scale

Didn't Airfix make a statement that they would eventually produce every version/mark of the Spitfire? I read that somewhere, quite a long time ago. In fact, besides their boxings to date, what other versions could be built by cross-boxing existing kits. Maybe that is what they were talking about when building all versions.

areva

1/72nd ?, 1/48th ?, 1/24th ?

It look obvious for you but...

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

I think that Airfix dedicating time and money to a MkVIII/IX/XVI would be a waste of time and effort considering the quality of Eduards? A high back XIV and FR18 would be good as well as a Vc. but what concerns me is that I didn't get on with Airfix`s new tool Vb. Maybe it was just me but I found it frustrating! Hopefully the XIV wont have those stupid 2 part U/C legs? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, averarandy said:

areva

26 minutes ago, averarandy said:

OOPs

1/48 Scale

Hmm, the depends on if you want all the sub variants and oddities...

The "good" 1/48 Airfix Spitfire's are

New tool Mk.I and Mk. They share the same fuselage.

PR XIX

Spitfire 22/24, and with a new sprue, Seafire 46/47

The low back XIV will most likely be followed by a high back XIV, and some simple changes by a modeller will get you an XVIII

There are other Airfix Spitfire's, they did Spitfire XII and Seafire 17, which have some accuracy issues,. Cross kitting these got you a Seafire XV

And before that did a IX and look back XVI, which are reasonable shape wise, but very clunky, and a Spitfire I/II/Va , which were clunky as well.

The oldest of the line was their 1978 Vb kit, which was "upgraded" with some of the clunky IX parts and other bits to do a Vc/Seafire III, a good idea let down by clunkiness!

Given the existence of the Eduard VIII/IX/XVI kits, I don't see those getting redone.

A really good and easy one would be to add a new wing to the new tool Vb kit to make a Vc, as that has masses of markings.

There have been plenty of thread on what needs doing to make other variants,  but Airfix maybe able to do the potential high back XIV fuselage to fit their 22/24 kit to make a 21..

This might give you a start for what's possible... Please ask for clarifications!

HTH

1 minute ago, Troy Smith said:

Hmm, the depends on if you want all the sub variants and oddities...

The "good" 1/48 Airfix Spitfire's are

New tool Mk.I and Mk. They share the same fuselage.

PR XIX

Spitfire 22/24, and with a new sprue, Seafire 46/47

The low back XIV will most likely be followed by a high back XIV, and some simple changes by a modeller will get you an XVIII

There are other Airfix Spitfire's, they did Spitfire XII and Seafire 17, which have some accuracy issues,. Cross kitting these got you a Seafire XV

And before that did a IX and look back XVI, which are reasonable shape wise, but very clunky, and a Spitfire I/II/Va , which were clunky as well.

The oldest of the line was their 1978 Vb kit, which was "upgraded" with some of the clunky IX parts and other bits to do a Vc/Seafire III, a good idea let down by clunkiness!

Given the existence of the Eduard VIII/IX/XVI kits, I don't see those getting redone.

A really good and easy one would be to add a new wing to the new tool Vb kit to make a Vc, as that has masses of markings.

There have been plenty of thread on what needs doing to make other variants,  but Airfix maybe able to do the potential high back XIV fuselage to fit their 22/24 kit to make a 21..

This might give you a start for what's possible... Please ask for clarifications!

HTH

Not much more left is there? PRXI? mkVI/VII?

Thank You for that list @Troy Smith I was after something a while back and was told it was too complicated to assemble one..... Not for a man of your ability though.

Even though it had been heavily hinted at with last year's releases I'm glad to see this, Not bad for a ship who makes tanks 80%+ or the time.

As Airfix need to make money with every release at present and given how many Spitfires there are to see I think this will do well for them. Almost as well as a Vampire T.11 in fact.....

On 9/29/2018 at 9:19 AM, oz rb fan said:

a new mold 1/48 MKXVIII and MK22/24 plus seafire FR47 i'd be a happy man

Other than it currently not being in production, what's wrong with the Seafire F.46/FR.47 that Airfix already did, which was based off the Spit 22/24 kit? It was last in production from 2012-2015 so there should still be a few around.

Edited by VMA131Marine

6 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Other than it currently not being in production, what's wrong with the Seafire F.46/FR.47 that Airfix already did, which was based off the Spit 22/24 kit? It was last in production from 2012-2015 so there should still be a few around.

i dont think it has the finesse or levels of detail of the current ones it's a pretty good kit but these new ones are a big step above it.

Edited by oz rb fan

On 9/29/2018 at 11:38 PM, averarandy said:

Didn't Airfix make a statement that they would eventually produce every version/mark of the Spitfire?

I for one would love to build Airfix's 1/48 K5054, and I may consider the Speed Spitfire...

On 10/1/2018 at 7:27 PM, oz rb fan said:

dont think it has the finesse or levels of detail of the current ones it's a pretty good kit but these new ones are a big step above it.

The cockpit detail is a bit clunky and bears more than a passing resemblance to the original 1/48 Mk.Vb. However, I still think the panel lines on that kit and the contemporary 1/48 Lightnings are the best Airfix have ever done.

1 hour ago, Welkin said:

Reasonably straighforward to get a VII from the Eduard VIII

Externally, yes! You just need to add the cockpit pressurisation intake underneath the exhaust on the starboard side. The cockpit has a solid rear bulkhead, like the PR.XIX, and the canopy slides and is not locked in place like on the Mk.VI. I think there was an inflatable bladder that sealed the cockpit opening.

• Like 1