F-4EJ Phantom - Target Tower

TEZ

• 1 month later...

Stunning scheme, build and finish!

For some obscure reason, though I have had a number of Phantoms of various scales and manufacturers in my stash over the years, I have never completed one. This has inspired me to change that though I doubt I could match this kind of finish!

Very well done.

Malcolm

On 9/30/2018 at 12:53 PM, Tengu Warrior said:

Fantastic build. I love this subject so much... here is mine.

IMG_1517057158820_zps9wrmvuzn.jpg

IMG_1517057231457_zpsyoa98mit.jpg

Another absolute stunner!

How come you've kept this one secret!? Get posting!

Malcolm

4 hours ago, Zippo the Zipdrive said:

A Phantom in high-viz! Whats not to like?

Could you perhaps provide some info on the original for this one? and what decals did you use?

The same question to Tengu warrior.

\Dan

The decals came from this Hasegawa limited edition -

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/963943-hasegawa-07419-f-4ej-phantom-ii-old-fashion

The following books were used for reference. 

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1/401-500/Rev457-Japan-F-4book/00.shtm

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/all-jasdf-4-phantom-ii-pictorial-book-139651941

Hope that’s of use. 

Andrew

• Like 1

Wow - I am really impressed by this build. It looks so right. Easily one of the best Phantoms I have seen.

You mentioned that you put a lot of work into improving the surface details - can you elaborate a bit more what exactly you did? Is there a WIP thread?

Cheers,

Michael

28 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Wow - I am really impressed by this build. It looks so right. Easily one of the best Phantoms I have seen.

You mentioned that you put a lot of work into improving the surface details - can you elaborate a bit more what exactly you did? Is there a WIP thread?

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

If you’re familiar with the kit you’ll know that the surface detail isn’t as refined as it once was due to the age of the moulds. Therefore each panel line was deepened with a pin and vice and a razor saw. The kit also lacks rivet detail, so prominent on the F-4. This was added using the pin and vice. The kit also requires additional panel lines, especially around the nose section. 

Regards

Andrew

Edited by TEZ

6 minutes ago, TEZ said:

Hi Michael

If you’re familiar with the kit you’ll know that the surface detail isn’t as refined as it once was due to the age of the moulds. Therefore each panel line was deepened with a pin and vice and a razor saw. The kit also lacks rivet detail, so prominent on the F-4. This was added using the pin and vice. The kit also requires additional panel lines, especially around the nose section. 

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew - thanks for your prompt reply. Don't know the kit myself. Seems to be quite some work you put into the surface detailing - it definitely paid out. Isn't there a better detailed 1/48 Phantom obo on the market?

At the moment Hasegawa is arguably the only viable 1/48 kit in town regarding an F-4E, EJ and G. It’s a sound kit and once you’ve done a couple it really doesn’t take too long to add the extra detail. Zoukei Mura are covering the long nose F-4s so that should cut down on 

some of the work.