Hello all. 1st time modeller. Tamiya 1:350 Bismarck.

Buncie

Hi

ive very recently had quite a big operation and during my recovery I'm unable to pursue my normal hobbies of gardening /OO gauge train modelling etc probably for a couple of months min. Ive always fancied trying my hand at ship modelling so this is my opportunity.  I bought a Tamiya 1:350 Bismarck. I was going to get wooden decking and the etched kit but I think I may be biting of more than I can chew as a first timer. So the model wil be built as is from the box.  

Great forum with loads of information.

Regards John 

• Like 2

Hello John ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from the USA. Sorry to hear about you medical issues, i hope you have a quick and smooth recovery. You seem to be wise from your years of trains. Seeing as you’ve decided to go the au natural method (smart). Once you get a few ships or other types under your belt, you can start getting more detailed and into the A/Market. Enjoy the build and learn from it this time, then you can start learning newer techniques and doodads. Though as a former Train enthusiast i can say your skill set should transfer pretty easily. I dont currently build ships due to $ and spacial limitations. Please feel free to ask me for help, if you need any. Just @Corsairfoxfouruncle Do this ⬅️ and it will get my attention. 

Dennis

Sounds like a good plan to me, I have always fancied building ships but have never got around to it but I would take the same route as you, build something out of the box and enjoy it as a start.

Cheers

Dennis

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello John ... :welcome: to Britmodeller from the USA. Sorry to hear about you medical issues, i hope you have a quick and smooth recovery. You seem to be wise from your years of trains. Seeing as you’ve decided to go the au natural method (smart). Once you get a few ships or other types under your belt, you can start getting more detailed and into the A/Market. Enjoy the build and learn from it this time, then you can start learning newer techniques and doodads. Though as a former Train enthusiast i can say your skill set should transfer pretty easily. I dont currently build ships due to $ and spacial limitations. Please feel free to ask me for help, if you need any. Just @Corsairfoxfouruncle Do this ⬅️ and it will get my attention. 

Dennis

Many thanks for you welcome and words of advice, much appreciated.

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Sounds like a good plan to me, I have always fancied building ships but have never got around to it but I would take the same route as you, build something out of the box and enjoy it as a start.

Cheers

Dennis

Cheers Dennis.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome. Just getting back in to the hobbie myself. Have a Revell German Submarine Type VII C/41 1:350 on order as my first build to clear the rust out and try some of these new ways of making kits. Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:welcome: to the friendliest modelling site around John! What got my interest is that the medical issues (hope they resolve themselves!) took you to another modelling challenge. I had a similar issue this summer and although I am a very active aircraft / Motorsport modeller, I decided that, with plenty of time on my hands over the Summer, to go off track and get a ship, so opted for Bismarck's foe, H.M.S. Hood!

Looking forward to seeing your Bismarck take shape and all the very best from France!

Hi Buncie, I have just joined this forum myself and noticed you introducing yourself. Whilst I have not sorted out my workbench yet, after moving to the UK, I am planning on building some ships in 1:350 as well and started 4 years ago on the Tamiya CVN 65. Well, after building a hangar floor in it from scratch and collecting some PE parts (hard to find in the country where Iived the last four years) and roaming some builders sites I found this model had already been built many times by very professional builders.  I then decided, after a bit of thinking, to build another carrier in 1:720 first. ( I had not been building ships for a long time....35 years or so...although many other kits were built along the way. Mainly Trucks in 1:25 and 1:87, a balsa wood airplane and some other stuff) So I started a Revell Nimitz in 1:720 and finished that one in about one year! Main goal was to get the painting right and with decals applied in straight lines! I used Tamiya spray cans and thought they are splendid! Still do. Lots of masking tape (also Tamiya) and reference material from the intrnet and some books. Time was absolutely not an issue! Most of the work was done below ajewelers magnifier glass. In that kit I made the hangar as well, although without much detail.

Before continuing with the huge Tamiya Enterprise (CVN 65) I have now started on the Trumpeter HMS Belfast in 1:350, after some visits to the real thing, as it seems a bit more manageable! It would be nice to keep in touch and exchange experiences and ideas!

Good luck with everything!

Albatros