The Bridge on the River Kwai

Getunderit

Since I cannot access, locally, single layer veneer sheets, I had to resort to plastic sheets.

From the railway tracks to outer bridge edges are two layers of boards.

The bottom layer is thick, while the top layer is thin (in comparison) boards for vehicles and walkway.

Attached to the base layer are the hand-rail posts.

XpZzT9Y.jpg

BspJn0e.jpg

HSQ6mEv.jpg

• Like 9

Ahh so this is where you've been hiding for the last few weeks! 

Got to say this is a fascinating project but a difficult subject. The sheer horror of what went on surrounding this is hard to grasp. Its always had an effect on me as my father was in the RAF in Burma during the war and its a matter of 'there but for the grace of god' ... Thankfully he wasn't captured and survived the war otherwise I wouldn't be here! 

Will be looking out for further progress when you return from the lifting bridge!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter,

wonderful work you are doing here. I remember myself trying to do such a thing in the late 60ies when I saw the movie for the first time. Unfortunately I never got that far!

have you ever heard of the model the German Company Faller did in the 60ies? It was appr. 1/87-scale but according to my info done after the original plans for the movie.

Here some pictures and info:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Faller+Brücke+am+Quai&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX5-3B35DfAhVEbFAKHSF8BmoQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=947#imgrc=o0Un3M4PhLbPIM:

Yours

Michael

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 5:54 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow Ive never seen or heard of this film ? Need to find it now. 

I watched it...

...one of those you kind of wish you hadn't in an 'ignorance is bliss' kind of way. 

Tenko it is not!  It is however a good film.

My dad's Godfather was Lt.Col with the JAT IX Regiment in Burma. It was all very close to home and those gents really did live under the most intolerable strain given the consequences of captivity.

Stunning project and though you are building the 'Film Bridge' the memory of the atrocities carried out on Allied POW's must be remembered and this is a great way to do that.

• 1 month later...

I've been following this build but until now have kept quiet in the background. 

However when checking for any updates I note that @Getunderit hasn't visited the forum since mid November last year.  Given the previous regularity of updates from our friend down under and no mention (that I have seen) of any extended time away, I am wondering if something has happened.

Was anyone in touch with our colleague via personal email ?  Does anyone know the reason for his absence?

6 minutes ago, hendie said:

Was anyone in touch with our colleague via personal email ?  Does anyone know the reason for his absence?

I've also been very concerned about Pete. I sent him a 'Happy Christmas, hope you're okay' PM on Christmas morning, but unfortunately haven't heard back yet.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hendie said:

you can check the PM and see if it has been read or not.

I added it to a PM I sent him on 17th November - he replied to that to say that he was working out some problems with his lift bridge, but he doesn't seem to have read the Christmas message.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hendie said:

I wonder if it's worth contacting the museum he mentions on the first post to see if they know anything?

I did conciser that, but thought it may be too intrusive. 

2 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I did conciser that, but thought it may be too intrusive. 

I would think a general enquiry to see if they are aware of anything but not requesting any personal details isn't too obtrusive

Just now, hendie said:

I would think a general enquiry to see if they are aware of anything but not requesting any personal details isn't too obtrusive

I'll see if I can find the contact details for the museum in question.

• Thanks 1